• ...and so much more!
  • DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    What I know is this:
    1) I have had friends and associates who are masons. They are all squared away people and really work at being the men they want to be.
    2) When the local doctors couldn't tell what was wrong with my little girl we went to the Scottish Rite Children's Hospital in Atlanta. They treated us like gold, figured out what was up with my daughter and fixed her up, and would only take what our insurance paid.
    3) I am not a Mason, don't plan on joining because I am too busy, but based on the above they can have any secrets they want and I still support them 100%.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You have a proton accelerator too? Kewl, maybe we can compare.

Mine is a neutron accelerator, can I still play? :D

I may sell it anyway, the wife says it takes too much room in the basement.

accelerator.jpg

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So when people mention "helping people," what does this mean? In what ways do you help people? PM me if you'd rather not make it public.

My lodge has a couple of small scholarships it gives every year to a couple of deserving young students. The Scottish Rite (in whose building my lodge meets) has at least one hospital it supports. Every member of the Scottish Rite is a Mason. The Shrine (every member of whom is either Scottish Rite or York Rite) sponsors, the last I heard, 23 hospitals caring for children with burns or orthopedic injuries.

I cannot say with authority whether it is true of the Scottish Rite hospital(s), but I know that there is one thing you will never, ever find in a Shrine hospital: A billing office. There is never a bill nor anything to pay when your child receives care there.

There are, as was said upthread, many charities supported by our members; last I heard, which was some years ago, it added up to $1M/day.

There are many who look to find fault with things they don't understand or that they understand only in part. If you doubt the truth of what the members say, consider the good that is done and the people who have been involved and decide for yourself good from bad.

Blessings,
    Bill

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Masonry is not for everyone, however, you should read my reply to his question before passing judgement. What he quoted is a small excerpt. Masonry focuses on the man, not the man's religion. We are about taking a good man and making them better through the idea that if you get a group of good men together, they will naturally improve eachother. As iron sharpens iron so to speak.

ETA: Also, as previously mentioned, Masonry only requires you have a belief in a higher power, it does not require it to be "all" higher powers, as steveh would have you believe through reading this.

This is explicitly and completely incompatible with the Christian faith.

If anyone would like to know why, feel free to PM me.

Sorry Steve, but I disagree:

Proverbs 27:17 - "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

I am a proud Mason and Shriner. I am surrounded by a group of good men, black, white, Jewish, Christian and even Muslim, who live their lives by the principles of their faith. It's these principles from different religions and the way these men embody them that allow us to learn from one another and grow personally and spiritually.

There are things that a non-Mason will hear about our rituals that, to the uneducated ear and mind will sound preposterous and unusual, but this is due to fact that they are lacking context and perspective. The rituals are old and ancient, and keep with the traditions. With that said, these rituals have changed slightly to reflect changes in personal ability (disabled Masons) and technology. It's easy to second-guess what you see on the outside; it's much harder to look within yourself and find fault.

Top Bottom