• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    A brief discussion of a certain fraternal organization tonight has me wondering about something. I'm 50 something years old and I belong to two fraternal organizations, three if you count a ham radio club.

How many of you guys belong to a fraternal organization?

Examples:

Masonic Lodge/Shriners/Demolay/Rainbow Girls
    Loyal Order of the Moose
    Lions Club
    Kiwanis
    Loyal Order of the Eagles
    Knights of Columbus/Squires
    Lutheran Brotherhood
    Foresters

Just curious. Fraternal numbers are way down...some "experts" claim that younger men are just not interested in belonging to a fraternal organization.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm in my forties and a member of just one--Masonry. And I vaguely remember seeing some stats about the average age of Masons being above 60, with the implication being that the majority of the folks are getting old enough to start dieing off faster than young guys are coming in to replace those lost.

On a second note, the "electronics age" has seemed to decrease overall interest in such 'old-fashioned' ideas like Masonry and other fraternities, at least in what I've seen to date.

:twocents:

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was for a while. Didn't have the patience for attending "ritual, chapter, whatever". It got to the point where I felt like I was paying good money to participate in a lot of activities I found worthless.

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'm a younger guy and I haven't joined because I don't understand the point. It's simply ignorance on my part, but I don't know what they do. I think they do charitable events and such but beyond that I don't know.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Had to look, im a member of way too many veterans organizations. Granted, I do my best to help out, but only so much time that i have. Granted, im a younger guy in my 30s, and i see the point of them, so I try to pass it on to others in the military. Not too sure on these organizations as well. I have seen them do somethings, was kind of interested, but not enough time

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Just curious. Fraternal numbers are way down...some "experts" claim that younger men are just not interested in belonging to a fraternal organization.

Lions member here. I, and several other 30 somethings were recruited to bring the average age of our club down into the upper 70's:D

It's been a great experience for me. The Lions club does awesome work from the local to the international level. Our club is small and in a pretty rural area. It's been a real eye opener to see how many people there are that really need help but would NEVER ask for it. We ask people in our local school and churches to tip us off when they see indications of a family that is really struggling and do what we can to help out. It's a good thing to write a check and sent it off to some charity, or drop some money in the Salvation Army bucket, but to be on the tip of the spear, so to speak, of these efforts is way more rewarding that I would have thought it would be.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am 54 and have been a member in the past. Todays life is very hard to be active. Work has become somewhat uncivilized. Not only have wages and buying power taken some serious hits in the last 12 or 15 years, management styles have become difficult. IF someone has a job, the managment feels free to waltz up to you a quitting time and demand that you stay over, of course if you do, you still have to cover your shift the next day. This is not just for emergency conditions. Many times you find out that the project has been on his desk for 3 weeks, and he was just too lazy to plan ahead. I have heard of NO companies in Indiana that have plenty of maintenance. To save money, companies like to assemble only a minimal crew and they work the crap out of them. No time for family, no time for health, no time for fraternal and civic organizations. Maintenace Management magazine had an article where this managment style is directly affecting the life span of the workers. The corporate big shots know this also, but the sooner a worker dies off, the less retirement gets used. Since they have been stealing out of the retirement funds anyway, that helps cover their tracks.

Last edited:

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I am not much help, but wanted to state that I do not belong to any fraternal organizations. I am 55. I am just not a club guy. I have nothing against those that choose otherwise. If I were to go to a meeting it would be less time that I could spend alone in the woods which is precious to me.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'm a younger guy and I haven't joined because I don't understand the point. It's simply ignorance on my part, but I don't know what they do. I think they do charitable events and such but beyond that I don't know.

Some fraternal organizations have rules about openly recruiting members. Masons say "2 B 1 ASK 1" (as an example).

Others openly recruit, but mostly by word of mouth. National and local advertising is expensive and many of these groups would rather spend their money on charitable events, and their club houses.

Some groups have a reputation as being a hideout for beer drinking and sports watching...others are known for their charitable acts (Masons, K of C, Lions), and others are more known for the social aspects they bring to a community (Moose, Elks, Eagles).

In this day and age we rarely know who our neighbor is, and in most cases we don't want to know them and we don't want them to know us. Fraternal organizations can provide entertainment, and camaraderie among groups of like thinking adults. They can be a lot of fun, and some of them can get expensive.

I enjoy my memberships.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I grew up in Rainbow and joined Eastern Star when I was old enough. I served two years as a Grand Officer in Rainbow, and I was on track to be the youngest Worthy Matron ever in my chapter when I up and moved to TX the first time twelve years ago. I found an OES chapter somewhat close to me, and then I suddenly learned what the idea of "selective membership" meant to them. It kind of soured me on the whole organization, which was disappointing because until then, Rainbow and OES had pretty much been my life. When I moved back to Indy a year later, I considered getting in touch with my previous chapter, but I ended up letting my membership slide because I was a wimp and really didn't want to talk about my divorce, or my concerns about racism in the organizations, with people who had known me my entire life.

Last edited:

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I have a friend who is a Mason and lately I've been thinking about joining. With a wife and two daughters at home I spend most of my time around women and think I need to have some more "man time". I'm not a big beer-and-sports guy so I think a group like the Masons would be good for that.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I did get involved in DeMolay when I was younger, though after a few years, it became apparent to me the chapter I belonged to was having maturity issues that was leading it in a downward spiral.

Fast forward to present day, and I have found a good organization to be affiliated with, the American Legion, and send my membership dues every year to them. I could join a local chapter, but I will confess, at early 30 something, it is difficult for me to feel comfortable trying to fit into a crowd that is nearly 2x my age. For this reason, I keep my dues paid, but will likely not become an active member until later in my life, when I do not have so many things (work, children, ect.) filling my usually busy life.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I did get involved in DeMolay when I was younger, though after a few years, it became apparent to me the chapter I belonged to was having maturity issues that was leading it in a downward spiral.

Fast forward to present day, and I have found a good organization to be affiliated with, the American Legion, and send my membership dues every year to them. I could join a local chapter, but I will confess, at early 30 something, it is difficult for me to feel comfortable trying to fit into a crowd that is nearly 2x my age. For this reason, I keep my dues paid, but will likely not become an active member until later in my life, when I do not have so many things (work, children, ect.) filling my usually busy life.

Glad to hear you are a Legionnaire as well. As I am one as well. Same boat as you, being one of the younger ones. Well, just try getting a couple more people your age in, or when you give them ideas, let them know that things are changing. Usually, my post runs pretty well, but I try to help out when I can as well.

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    I am a Mason, currently serving as Master of Prince Lodge#231 in Princeton. I joined the York Rite last year, and plan on participating more once my year as Master is over.

I am also a member of the local Kiwanis chapter.

I belong to the Sword of Bunker Hill :yesway: :yesway: Any Masons interested in this group PM me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We see no need for the activity's. I never was one to seek out that kind of involvement. Always had way to much on my plate as it was. 62 (soon to be 63) and time on hand is mine to do as I choose.

Top Bottom