• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Can you Not see the forest for the trees. Downtown is the IBE event venue.

So it's downtown. Downtown's big. The shooting happened near Circle Center Mall. Not the same as happening at an IBE event itself.

But what did IBE do or not do that leads you to believe they tolerate the behaviour? What are they supposed to do, just not hold the Expo at all because the event draws some thugs? Does the IMS "tolerate" public intoxication because they hold the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    And what did IBE do or not do to lead you to believe they tolerated this behavior? The shooting didn't even take place at any of the IBE events.
    There are people shot EVERY year. This was just the worst. You would not believe the number of businesses vandalized during the second Saturday night. It's always been the kids that were the problem. They were not there to attend the events but they were there because of the expo and to run free...causing trouble. Think of the kids at the Circle City Mall every weekend with NO supervision and multiply that 10 fold. The mile square becomes thier playground. If we cannot get parents to watch their kids, we need to remove the reason they flock to downtown.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So it's downtown. Downtown's big. The shooting happened near Circle Center Mall. Not the same as happening at an IBE event itself.
    snip?

So... since you seem to be claiming that IBE has nothing to do with the crime that seems to spike during the event, do you have another explanation?

Or is Indy routinely experiencing 10 shootings a night, but the news is only reporting it during IBE?

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    So... since you seem to be claiming that IBE has nothing to do with the crime that seems to spike during the event, do you have another explanation?

Or is Indy routinely experiencing 10 shootings a night, but the news is only reporting it during IBE?

"Nothing"'s a big, broad word, so, no, I don't claim that IBE has "nothing" to do with the crime. The crime is certainly related to the event, but in the sense that events draw crowds, and IBE draws among the worst, when compared to, say the youth that FFA or GenCon draw. I think that event sponsors' have some responsibilities for the crowds they draw, but I don't claim to know at what points those responsibilities begin and end.

I know that if my house got burglarized or vandalized every other Memorial Day weekend (I live about 1.5 mi from the track), I'd sure feel that IMS had some freakin' responsibility for it. What exactly I would expect them to do about it, I have no idea.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I agree. But a specific plan would allow us to pin down the actual possible violations. I think Straub is throwing ideas out without much thought...typical. I doubt the "safe zones" will materialize outside the scope of individual buildings, it's just not realistic.

They could just declare the whole area a temporary "city park".

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Straub has a doctorate in criminal justice. He became commissioner of Public Safety in White Plains, New York in 2002. White Plains is a town of about 57,000, about 45 minutes outside of New York City. Indianapolis has about 780,000 people.

Just based on this I'd say he wasn't qualified to do the job.

Makes me think we should organize an Open Carry Night on the Circle, to show that it's not the guns that are the problem.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It's not the event, it's the thugs that go to the event.
    True, but if you cannot separate the wheat from the chaff what are you going to do? If the event attracts thugs, can we keep the thugs from showing up? If we cannot, we will need to remove the thing that attracts them in the first place.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Wouldn't put it past them to try... and hope no one noticed the eminent domain issues LOL

They're not seizing any land though, so I don't think eminent domain is an issue.

Don't forget they're already planning on doing something like this for the Super Bowl in 2012.

I have to wonder, how many people attend the Indy 1500 over it's course vs the # who attend the IBE.

Violence at the Indy 1500, well, I've never heard of any, just a few cases of accidental/negligent discharges.

Violence at the IBE, seems to occur every year lately.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    There are people shot EVERY year. This was just the worst. You would not believe the number of businesses vandalized during the second Saturday night. It's always been the kids that were the problem. They were not there to attend the events but they were there because of the expo and to run free...causing trouble. Think of the kids at the Circle City Mall every weekend with NO supervision and multiply that 10 fold. The mile square becomes thier playground. If we cannot get parents to watch their kids, we need to remove the reason they flock to downtown.

Ever consider Curfew Violations? We used to have tons of problems with the little chumps out running the streets all night stealing and tearing stuff up. I started charging every single juvenile I found out past curfew. I would tell them to tell all their friends we are looking for them and they will be charged. Our problems went away.

I know there is a big difference between where I work and Inpls. but it sure wouldn't hurt anything.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I remember the first couple years I worked for Public Safety IPD had to send out ready reaction forces to clear the streets after the Saturday night violence. That happened at least two years running. The heavy police presence for the Indy 500 festivities and the other auto races has been primarily for traffic control, as opposed to crowd control. If you want to contrast Black Expo with something similar, how about the annual black college football game and parade held here every year (Sorry I don't remember the title). Seldom hear about any violence associated with that event.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I remember the first couple years I worked for Public Safety IPD had to send out ready reaction forces to clear the streets after the Saturday night violence. That happened at least two years running. The heavy police presence for the Indy 500 festivities and the other auto races has been primarily for traffic control, as opposed to crowd control. If you want to contrast Black Expo with something similar, how about the annual black college football game and parade held here every year (Sorry I don't remember the title). Seldom hear about any violence associated with that event.

Circle City Classic, held in October.

Top Bottom