• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't think I have seen this guy smile since he was hired and he works gun control into every interview that he gives. Makes me feel uncomfortable.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    He's not good for law abiding people. His NY record shows his anti stance.
    This mayor had four better candidates for this position and for political reasons unknown, imported Straub.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Ballard And Straub Just Don't Get It

Sunday morning on Eyewitness News Weekend Sunrise, Straub talked about potential security changes for next year's Black Expo. He said to keep people safe, officials are considering what's called a "secure zone" downtown. It's the same plan the city will use when it hosts the Super Bowl in 2012 . . .

"You create a secure zone around the Super Bowl. You're able to search people coming in, wand them to make sure that they don't have weapons and these are the kinds of things the mayor and I were talking about last night," Dr. Straub said. "Is there a way, going forward with Black Expo, to theoretically create a safe zone so young people can come and participate in Black Expo and be downtown, but yet have the ability to look for guns and those types of things."

Meanwhile, Straub is working to get more guns off the street.

Straub naturally brings his New York egghead views to the table. He dismissed gang-related activity when questioned by the media about it. "We don't want to empower people who don't deserve to be empowered," he said. "But clearly there was a conflict between the two groups," the Star reports. Naturally, Straub thinks tougher gun laws will help the problem. Straub also wants to turn downtown into a green zone like they have in Baghdad, Iraq to curtail violence. This is the same thing they're planning to do for the Super Bowl in 2012, which is why I've been saying all along local residents will be shut out of their own downtown during the event for which our city is spending in preparation tens of millions of our tax dollars so only the elite few who can afford to spend thousands of dollars on tickets or the politicians who get free tickets to the event can take part in the Super Bowl.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    The problem is that they don't want to acknowledge that the problem is the event. We don't have these kind of problems at any other major event hosted in this city, the 500, Brickyard, State Fair, NCAA, etc. Only at IBE, and every year at IBE.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    He makes me VERY uncomfortable. However, he cannot do anything without help from Ballard and the CCC. This "safe zone" idea is a twisted joke. Legalities aside (there could be/are serous legal issues) I cannot fathom the logistics that would be involved. We had 500 officers downtown and this place was a madhouse. To "secure" downtown, it will take much more than we have available. Straub is talking out of his rear-end again. He needs to just go away.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    The problem is that they don't want to acknowledge that the problem is the event. We don't have these kind of problems at any other major event hosted in this city, the 500, Brickyard, State Fair, NCAA, etc. Only at IBE, and every year at IBE.

The problem isn't the event; the problem is that some of the attendees are thugs. I couldn't blame the event any more than I could blame the gun Shamus Patton used.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    The problem isn't the event; the problem is that some of the attendees are thugs. I couldn't blame the event any more than I could blame the gun Shamus Patton used.

The problem is the Event. The IBE tolerates this behavior or it would be curtailed immediately. This isn't one lone incident by any means just a larger number shot at one location. Now, do people realize why Steak n Shake closed. The Police are ordered to look the other way and tolerate lawlessness for Cultural Diversity - Please. This is what happens when there are 2 sets of rules. Now, Gun Free Zones for us all. Welcome to downtown Baghdad :noway:

I haven't been downtown for many years but these same thugs had been holding the Circle hostage for several years every summer weekend with shootings and their thuggish behavior terrorizing the citizens.

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It may have to do with the images and situations in "RAP" music. "Slang the coke, pimp the hoe, got my gold grill, 187's, 211's, rollin' on dubs. I know that these are just the many "lyrics" in rap music but I feel that without proper parental and spiritual support the youth of today can't determine what is reality. I'm against sensorship of any kind, but I feel that without true leadership in the family these lifestyles become a harsh reality.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Ballard And Straub Just Don't Get It

Sunday morning on Eyewitness News Weekend Sunrise, Straub talked about potential security changes for next year's Black Expo. He said to keep people safe, officials are considering what's called a "secure zone" downtown. It's the same plan the city will use when it hosts the Super Bowl in 2012 . . .

Except in this case, instead of searching people and depriving them of their rights when they enter a paid sporting event in a private venue (which the taxpayers nontheless paid for, and continue paying for), they are going to search people and deprive everyone of their rights while walking on a public sidewalk.

I work downtown, right in the middle of the IBE battleground, and this "rights-free-zone" idea of their has me furious. That Ballard has allowed even the consideration of such a concept to exist is further proof of his anti-rights stance.

Maybe some of the lawyers here can explain what the options are, when the law is fairly clear about where it's illegal to carry. Can a policeman legally stop, search, detain, and confiscate legal personal property on public sidewalks. IE - what is the status of an LTCH holder in one of these rights-free zones?​

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    any smart person wont be anywhere around downtown for the super bowl events. every criminal from around the area will be down there trying to get some cheese. not to mention its one of the biggest High Theat terrorist target events in the country. no thanks. I will have a better view on a TV screen, in a galaxy FAR FAR AWAY!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    He makes me VERY uncomfortable. However, he cannot do anything without help from Ballard and the CCC. This "safe zone" idea is a twisted joke. Legalities aside (there could be/are serous legal issues) snip.

Just a few minor legal issues. Like being in violation of Indiana state law, Indiana state Constitution, US Constitution...

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    You say that it isn't the event, but no other event has problems to this degree. Res ipsa loquitur - translated, "the thing speaks for itself."
    It's a case of Occams Razor, the simplest answer is usually the correct answer.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yep, i agree the problem IS the IBE itself. The people who put it on dont realy care about the violence outside the event. They are too excited they have alittle bit of power over the city that IBE gives them.

The only solution I can think of is to have a Indiana Illegal Mexican expo at the same date next year, and let the mexicans and the blacks shoot it out and take care of each other for us.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    It's a case of Occams Razor, the simplest answer is usually the correct answer.

This usually explains most things very adequately. The main problem is most try to expand on the issue to diffuse it or confuse the issue. Sort of like saying, can't see the forest for the trees.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Straub was on the Garrison Show this morning talking about the events over the weekend. He blamed "Illegal guns on the streets" as the number one problem and lack of "Parenting" as the second problem. He said he had over 500 officers on the street to protect the public. I guess those "Illegal Guns" just jump into the hands of the innocent IBE attendees and force them to shoot each other. At another point in the show Garrison started to read an email from a IMPD Mounted Officer and I guess it wasn't read prior b/c he got part way into it and started stuttering and just changed the subject. It started out, I'm paraphrasing as best I can recall "I'm a Mounted Patrol Officer with IMPD and I saw a parent drop off 3 kids at the corner of Washington and Illinois. We are not here to babysit these...." That is where Garrison started to stutter and changed topics. Wonder what the rest of the email said?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Colt, maybe it rhymed with "little long haul truckers"?:D

mounted_police_2.jpg

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Just a few minor legal issues. Like being in violation of Indiana state law, Indiana state Constitution, US Constitution...
    I agree. But a specific plan would allow us to pin down the actual possible violations. I think Straub is throwing ideas out without much thought...typical. I doubt the "safe zones" will materialize outside the scope of individual buildings, it's just not realistic.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    The problem is the Event. The IBE tolerates this behavior or it would be curtailed immediately. This isn't one lone incident by any means just a larger number shot at one location. Now, do people realize why Steak n Shake closed. The Police are ordered to look the other way and tolerate lawlessness for Cultural Diversity - Please. This is what happens when there are 2 sets of rules. Now, Gun Free Zones for us all. Welcome to downtown Baghdad :noway:

I haven't been downtown for many years but these same thugs had been holding the Circle hostage for several years every summer weekend with shootings and their thuggish behavior terrorizing the citizens.

And what did IBE do or not do to lead you to believe they tolerated this behavior? The shooting didn't even take place at any of the IBE events.

Top Bottom