• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    FYI - The entire FoxFire book series is about $15.45/book there, if you buy the whole set. They are $12.21 or $11.53 each at [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385073534?ie=UTF8&tag=w7erwe7bxcs-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0385073534[/ame].

I keep debating about buying the set. I'm sure there is much to learn in them. I guess if things get bad, I probably won't be able to get them then.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I was confused until I clicked the link. Thinking to myself... "Why would you need an entire series of books dedicated to the FireFox web browser."

I'm on the right page now. Looks like a good thing to have for the survivalist.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I haven't thought about the Firefox books in a long time. I read the first five long ago, and have them around here somewhere.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hmm. Files as .exes. Wish they would just use PDF, for those of us not on Windows all the time.
    When you execute, it's in an odd reader format that I have never seen. 1st page explains "This is a limited edition with 60 days use after opening. Full Edition available at www.librum...." or something like that. Assuming they are charging for that?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I just decided to buy the set from Amazon. I figure if I am going to really need this information, I might not be able to download or even read it from my computer.

I do my best not to run untrusted .exes. Although Viruses trying screw with my system when run in WINE on Linux are so cute. They can't find those files they are trying to change, because they don't exist.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Apparently, they recently switched from pdf to exe.

I downloaded most of the pdfs about a month ago.
    I don't blame you for not wanting to use the exe version.

I was hoping to find them somewhere online still in the pdf format but
    my search came up empty.

These books are also available cheap on ebay, FWIW

They're good books to read but, IMO, not all of the info is practical or useable.

Rocky Mountain Group
    Survival & Self-Reliance Studies Institute Home Page
    Has some great how-to info for just about every need.

SSRsi Table of Contents Page

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    How about a BOB survival book? Something small enough to pack in a duffel or keep in your trunk with basic wilderness survival? If I'm lost in the woods, I probably won't have my laptop. (Actually, knowing me, I probably will, but I won't have a place to plug it in).

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    SAS handbook?
    Ranger Handbook?
    You could always print your own custom handbook and laminate it.

Seems like a photo guide for foraging
    and
    topo maps would be all you need.

I've never been lost in the woods but learning how to
    survive from a book while lost doesn't seem like the
    right time to me,

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I can only speak about the first 5 Foxfire books, but I will tell you this: I have never read a more entertaining and educational series of books. ever. realy, ever.

For those of you unfammilliar with this fine line of books, let me tell ya the scoop on them. Back in the 60's, a bored English teacher came up with the idea to have all of his students interview various old people of the community, and learn whatever skills they had to teach. This was done in the back woods of the Ozarks, so you can immagine the incredible wealth of information gleaned from these old people. Everything from making your own woodworking tools for making a log cabin, to how to make your own moonshine, to how to make your own soap, including how to make the raw materials. This really is an amazing series of books, and should be right beside Carla Emery's book " encyclopedia of country living".

Between the first 5 foxfire books, and Carla's book, everything else simply becomes extra.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I have the first four foxfire books in electronic format and #5 in dead tree format. Good stuff in all of them.

C.H.U.D.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Elkhart
    these are excellant and can be better than the 5 truck convoy some on this sight seem to think they'll have when TSHTF

Top Bottom