• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I wonder if we'll see a movement of line police officers moving to rural areas. I imagine the pay isn't as good, but it has to be better living.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Just look at Gary and Detroit. I went to the academy with a dude from Gary who was literally developmentally disabled. Like, pigeon-toed, Down syndrome, Eric Stoltz from Mask disabled... and he was hired and using a Ruger P89 with the saddest-looking duty belt I’ve ever seen.

Hiring standards and applicant pool matter.
    When did you go to the academy? ‘Cause when I went, the Gary guys were guys who had motivation and ability to learn... they just came from “challenged” pd with crappy equipment. Most weren’t even from Gary, and were simply trying to get their foot in the door and lateral. I ran into one of those guys a few weeks ago, working for Excise.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I wonder if we'll see a movement of line police officers moving to rural areas. I imagine the pay isn't as good, but it has to be better living.
    Doubtful. At least at the beginning, every cop wants to work the big city. I would’ve been IPD, if they had called before Carmel.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Having worked in manufacturing both rural and urban I can't see the big city allure, but manufacturing isn't police work.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Having worked in manufacturing both rural and urban I can't see the big city allure, but manufacturing isn't police work.
    If you are a young, motivated person that wants to do police interesting police work, Bumblegump, IN PD is probably not exactly what you're looking for. I work with a few guys who spent careers on smaller departments that saw fewer homicides scenes in their entire career than I did in a year. Or sometimes a month.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If you are a young, motivated person that wants to do police interesting police work, Bumblegump, IN PD is probably not exactly what you're looking for. I work with a few guys who spent careers on smaller departments that saw fewer homicides scenes in their entire career than I did in a year. Or sometimes a month.
    Absolutely. From the young person's perspective I see it coming down to whether you are looking for something like Law and Order, Miami Vice, or the Andy Griffith show.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Bumblegump? Didn't they give Milan a run for their money in the sectional in 54? ;)

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    It is already happening. I worked with officers that have left for Pittsboro, Plainfield, and Unified PD in Utah. And those are just the three I personally know of. There has also been several officers with 20 years on retire even though they are too young to draw their pension.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It is already happening. I worked with officers that have left for Pittsboro, Plainfield, and Unified PD in Utah. And those are just the three I personally know of. There has also been several officers with 20 years on retire even though they are too young to draw their pension.
    I think we'll probably see a woker police force in urban areas and other cops moving to places where things are relatively sane.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Cops want to work for the big city until they get **** on by big city politicians and residents. It is happening. No doubtful about it.
    Oh, no doubt about that. Hence why I said in the beginning. But then again, people in smaller jurisdictions always complain about nepotism. When I was at ILEA, I was really surprised at how many guys were “connected,” at their home PDs.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh, no doubt about that. Hence why I said in the beginning.
    Not that I ever wanted to be a cop, but I think if I did, maybe I'd rather be a cop in the suburbs. But probably if I wanted to be a cop, I'd have a different temperament, and maybe that temperament would make me desire to be a cop in the big cities. I just can't imagine wanting to live in the city though. But I do want a police cruiser.

The hellcat. And of course with lights and siren. Lights and siren, not because I want to pretend to pull people over. I just want people to get the hell out of the left lane.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Not that I ever wanted to be a cop, but I think if I did, maybe I'd rather be a cop in the suburbs. But probably if I wanted to be a cop, I'd have a different temperament, and maybe that temperament would make me desire to be a cop in the big cities. I just can't imagine wanting to live in the city though. But I do want a police cruiser.

The hellcat. And of course with lights and siren. Lights and siren, not because I want to pretend to pull people over. I just want people to get the hell out of the left lane.
    YES, YES. YES!
    Sometimes I wish I had a snowplow on my truck.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Six months ago, the city of Westfield was hiring for 2 or 3 officers. Over 30 IMPD officers were in the process. That should tell you how bad it is copping in the big city right now.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I totally agree. It's high time the government starts giving serious consequences on the police officers acting like demons. This will bring about accountability and less reckless shooting.
    Maybe not all the "reckless shooting" you hear about on TV was actually reckless shooting. Not saying it doesn't happen, but many of the high profile cases we hear about turned out to be a legitimate use of deadly force. In this case, it's not sounding like there was any criminal act that happened. And unfortunately cities will burn because some people, fueled by inaccurate accounts of what actually happened, will riot. But really, I think they're gonna riot either way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom