• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't know what that jury saw. I didn't see it.
    Neither did I based on my rather lengthy post. IMO it certainly wasn't based on how the facts in this case were properly applied to the law. If they were, not guilty.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I know one thing for sure if I was on the Minneapolis PD I would be turning my badge in. Why take the risk of being convicted like Potter was? Minneapolis has been proven to be hostile toward LE.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I know one thing for sure if I was on the Minneapolis PD I would be turning my badge in. Why take the risk of being convicted like Potter was? Minneapolis has been proven to be hostile toward LE.

Not much else a cop can do really, they run those risks every day. I would be looking at moving to another town, or finding non LE employment.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    When the officer here shot a man in the back and claimed he meant to use his taser there weren't even any criminal charges filed at all. However the guy that was shot was not killed.
    There is a lot of power in the hands of the person that decides to charge or not charge.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    When the officer here shot a man in the back and claimed he meant to use his taser there weren't even any criminal charges filed at all. However the guy that was shot was not killed.
    There is a lot of power in the hands of the person that decides to charge or not charge.
    Which is why people should think seriously about the person they put in the prosecutor’s office.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not much else a cop can do really, they run those risks every day. I would be looking at moving to another town, or finding non LE employment.
    Accidents DO happen. However, some mistakes you don't come back from. State required training is woefully inadequate to maintain skills while under stress. I'm actually surprised these types of incidents don't happen more often. The more officers that take their own ongoing education seriously, the less likely these incidents happen. The more they train on their own time and dime, the more likely they will be able to maintain high-brain function under stress. Sadly, the vast majority of LE across the country rely ONLY on their State yearly requirements which is an accident waiting to happen.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This was a case of an unintentional mistake leading to simple negligence that caused wrongful death at best. It should've been decided in a civil court. You need all of the elements of the two manslaughter charges to be able to convict Potter of conscious intentional criminal recklessness with a firearm in the 1st charge or a lesser culpable gross negligence coupled with an element of recklessness with a firearm in the 2nd charge creating a conscious inherent risk leading to Wright's death. They simply were not there if you compare the facts to the law.

The jury bought the prosecution's argument that Potter "should have" known. It doesn't matter if she "should have" known. They have to prove that she "actually did" know with intent of wrongdoing (mens rea) to do so and ignored the inherent risk.

The state may have proven simple negligence with their argument, but they tried to misrepresent it as intentional criminal recklessness to the jury and apparently that tactic to gain a conviction on the books worked. Seems pretty damn sketchy to me.

If she was aware and she fired it anyway then that might be a different story. I'm just not seeing it.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    What is the minimum sentence she can receive?.
    Not sure about a minimum. Could just be probation but there's pretty much no chance of that happening based on public outcry if she did. She'll do time that's for sure. I think the recommended max is around 15 years for just the first count, not sure about the lesser second count. I believe I heard that the two sentences will run concurrently..

The panel of lawyers on the youtube live feeds that I frequent predict it would be somewhere around 6-8yrs. Could be more could be less. But they also were'nt expecting to see a guilty verdict. I did'nt see a guilty verdict coming either. At best a hung jury.

That just shows how unpredictable the court system from the judge to the jury can be.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    He tends to follow the law over politics.
    Yes, he's one of the last lefty-liberal, but not progressive power-mongering, ACLU-types. Well, from back when ACLU actually cared about civil liberties and I actually entertained their arguments.

Over the years I've agreed and disagreed with Prof. Dershowitz, though even when I thought he was wrong, I could see where he was coming from. I think my good friend @T.Lex might see Prof Dershowitz as a North Star... And many were the time T and I could agree on the problem, but not necessarily the solution.

It's very interesting that Prof Dershowitz hasn't really changed his perspective, nor have I, but we now much more frequently find each other on the same "side". It's indicative of how far left the progs have marched.

It'll be interesting to see if the brown-shirt, red-book carrying, progs "cancel" Alan for speaking out of turn and not getting with the totalitarian program.

Or is it to eventually become a pogrom? There's always that 20-25% who are "inconvenient" to the "evident course of history" when the Marxist-Leninists seek ultimate power over the "masses".

Oops, when they seek to empower the "masses". <the purplest paint imaginable>

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I’ll disagree with Dershowitz that accidents can’t be crimes. And that this particular accident can’t be a crime. In 2009 a BART officer made the same mistake. He tried to deploy a Taser and shot the guy to death instead. He even had the argument that he had just been issued the Taser and had very little experience with it. Still was charged, convicted, sentenced to prison, and had an appeal later denied. Maybe the charges in Potter’s case didn’t fit the crime, but there is precedence for this situation that came long before the current political climate.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I’ll disagree with Dershowitz that accidents can’t be crimes. And that this particular accident can’t be a crime. In 2009 a BART officer made the same mistake. He tried to deploy a Taser and shot the guy to death instead. He even had the argument that he had just been issued the Taser and had very little experience with it. Still was charged, convicted, sentenced to prison, and had an appeal later denied. Maybe the charges in Potter’s case didn’t fit the crime, but there is precedence for this situation that came long before the current political climate.
    So you're saying California/San Francisco was ahead of the times again?

This wasn't in CA though.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    An even earlier precedent, also from Minnesota. In 2002 Officer Gregory Siem thought he was using a taser but mistakenly shot suspect Christofar Atak with his handgun instead. He was not charged with anything.

Top Bottom