Not open for further replies.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    good point to bring up.

so mods, if we put a warning above the link is that still acceptable as long as no dirty words are in the title or visible image?

can I get a holla back please?

I'm sorry, but I'm not exactly sure what your question is. No dirty words are acceptable that can be viewed directly on the website, that does include images or even video if the main screen of the video that you can see shows the word.

If something is NSFW, then state that it's NSFW and post a link to it as most have been doing anyway.

Does that help?

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    While it does spawn arguments, Politics is as much a part of everyday life as working, raising children, and just plain trying to make it in todays world. :dunno:
    :twocents:
    :soapbox:While this may be true, absolutely NONE of the above have anything to do with what should be the focus of the forum... GUNS. My only interest in the raising of children is their proper education regarding firearms ownership and usage. As to discussion of working and "just plain trying to make it in todays world" my interest is limited solely to how this better enables me to pursue my interest in GUNS.
    There are any number of forums and chatrooms where I can go to discuss any and every flavor of politics I might want. And I wish the founding fathers had done a slightly better job with the wording of the Amendments. They could have used a lot less of the flowery language of the times and made the fact that the 2nd is an individual right absolutely clear to everyone. As to religion, my personal beliefs are just that, personal. I would much prefer that they had worded the 1st to assure freedom FROM religion. In other words, don't try to create legislation based on YOUR religious beliefs!!! And there I go... if you are interested in more on these thoughts look for it on a POLITICS or RELIGION forum not a GUNS one.:twocents:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    :soapbox:While this may be true, absolutely NONE of the above have anything to do with what should be the focus of the forum... GUNS. My only interest in the raising of children is their proper education regarding firearms ownership and usage. As to discussion of working and "just plain trying to make it in todays world" my interest is limited solely to how this better enables me to pursue my interest in GUNS.
    There are any number of forums and chatrooms where I can go to discuss any and every flavor of politics I might want. And I wish the founding fathers had done a slightly better job with the wording of the Amendments. They could have used a lot less of the flowery language of the times and made the fact that the 2nd is an individual right absolutely clear to everyone. As to religion, my personal beliefs are just that, personal. I would much prefer that they had worded the 1st to assure freedom FROM religion. In other words, don't try to create legislation based on YOUR religious beliefs!!! And there I go... if you are interested in more on these thoughts look for it on a POLITICS or RELIGION forum not a GUNS one.:twocents:

I see nothing wrong with our government as it was drafted by our forefathers, if you don't like it get out no one is forcing you to stay here. It is true our country was founded on freedom of religion with Christian morals. In the end that is all religion boils down to is a set of morals or a code to live your life by. If it offends you grow a thicker skin and ignore it, I do it ever day and stay out of the political discussions and tin hat sections for this reason. If you know it will cause you to go off on a rhetoric and or show yourself in a manner other than what is the norm then why do it? The intent of this post is not disrespect or insult but time and time again those of us in this country that are of a majority are forced to allow and ignore what the minorities want so that we can be publicly correct and disrespect our rights while the minorities get what they want. We are only allowed our rights if we are not infringing on another persons rights.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I see nothing with our government as it was drafted by our forefathers, if you don't like it get out no one is forcing you to stay here. It is true our country was founded on freedom of religion with Christian morals. In the end that is all religion boils down to is a set of morals or a code to live your life by. If it offends you grow a thicker skin and ignore it, I do it ever day and stay out of the political discussions and tin hat sections for this reason. If you know it will cause you to go off on a rhetoric and or show yourself in a manner other than what is the norm then why do it? The intent of this post is not disrespect or insult but time and time again those of us in this country that are of a majority are forced to allow and ignore what the minorities want so that we can be publicly correct and disrespect our rights while the minorities get what they want. We are only allowed our rights if we are not infringing on another persons rights.

I thought the purpose of this thread was to provide input? I won't bother to count the number of posts you have made, but I believe the member you are replying to has only posted once in this entire thread. It's not an issue of doing what the majority wants, but even those in the minority should have the opportunity to be heard.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    One of the big things I like about this site is that it's not just about guns.
    I can come here and share ideas, opinions, and experiences on just about anything weather it's guns, politics, SHTF, cars, or relationship advice. (I disagree with the no religion policy, but that's my opinion and I understand Fenway's position on that.)

This site is really something here and I think once the new policies are put in and everything is cleared up it's going to be that much better. It's more than a gun website and I think Fenway and the mods know that.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I thought the purpose of this thread was to provide input? I won't bother to count the number of posts you have made, but I believe the member you are replying to has only posted once in this entire thread. It's not an issue of doing what the majority wants, but even those in the minority should have the opportunity to be heard.

I am sorry let me clarify the point of my post then, if you don't like the politics threads, or your only concern here is guns why not just ignore what you don't want to see instead of suggesting taking a HUGE portion of the forum out. I simply ignore the subjects he is speaking about. Not all the changes that need to be made are on just the moderator or administrator side of things. I tried to stay away from this thread as much as possible knowing that I might run off on a tangent.

To reiterate my point not everything that needs changed is on the administration side, a lot of the members myself included need to grow a thicker skin and if we don't like a topic or subject then steer clear of it.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I'm sorry, but I'm not exactly sure what your question is. No dirty words are acceptable that can be viewed directly on the website, that does include images or even video if the main screen of the video that you can see shows the word.

If something is NSFW, then state that it's NSFW and post a link to it as most have been doing anyway.

Does that help?

yep. i just wanted to make sure that the youtube video's we post that occasionally have bad words are still ok to post as long as we give a warning. same as it has been. i just wanted to clarrify its the same so I dont log on banned one day because i posted a video. thanks for the reply.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I had multi-quoted a bunch of stuff, only to find that they were seemingly resolved. We'll see. I like the new approach because it moderates the behavior, not the intent or the response. I believe that's where the ball has been dropped in the past.

Correction: it's a site for, by, and about gun OWNERS.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I appreciate the moderators coming on this thread and explaining some things. I think that good and tough moderation is one reason the board has thrived. Boards not well moderated tend to fade away. I often disagree with thread closings and some mod comments, but then, I tend to disagree with lots of things that aren't done exactly like I would have done them. :)

General Politics Forum: I like this forum and post there more than any other forum. Many, many people in our country dislike discussing politics in any context. Disagreements get heated, people get embarassed when others prove them wrong, lots of emotion gets involved. Because of this, political discussion has been removed from most areas in our society. It's generally considered impolite to bring up political discussions in social settings unless you know you're in the company of people who all agree. I think this is a shame. I think that some on this board, and some of the mods as well, judging from some of the comments, are people who just don't like political discussion. It's distasteful to them. That's fine, but I don't see why there's a desire to remove it. Just don't go there if you don't like it. One mod called it a "cesspool." I don't see it that way at all, I see it as one of the rare places people in our society can interact and disagree and hash out these subjects which affect our lives and freedom.

Cop threads: I agree these must be moderated tightly, because sometimes they quickly turn to name-calling. I also think they are important for several reasons, and should be allowed to run their course. Rather than close the thread, I suggest just infracting the people who step over the line. It's the same ones, both cop and anti-cop who turn it into a fight rather than a discussion.

Overall, I don't understand the negativity about this board, whether it's members complaining about the rules and the mods, or if it's the mods complaining about the members. It's a great place to find information, to argue, to learn, and to make friends. It's also messy like the world it's a part of. You can't moderate away all the messy stuff and keep all the good stuff. It's all mixed together.

You guys are doing fine. Like anything else, it's not perfectable. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...If it offends you grow a thicker skin and ignore it...

...your only concern here is guns why not just ignore what you don't want to see ...
    ...need to grow a thicker skin and if we don't like a topic or subject then steer clear of it.

I see this reasoning used a lot. It gets repeated a lot, just as you have done.
    My difficulty with it lies in a couple of areas;

First of all, my name is associated with this forum. Even if my name wasn't my user name, there are a slew of other ties including score sheets, sign ups, pictures, video, word of mouth and likely more.

Second and most important, regardless of my name or anyone else's...
    logo1.gif
    I believe stands for Indiana Gun Owners. The content of this forum paints all Indiana gun owners. Whether we choose to address it or not, ANYONE can read this forum.

Perception is reality. What do we look like to those not in our "inner circle?"
    The things you choose to ignore are still here whether you see them or not. Who else does?

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    When the owner of this site asked for opinions from the general membership on an action he was contemplating that affected the site, I gave an opinion that was contrary to the popular opinion, and I tried to do it in a respectful manner and clearly stated that the only reason I was giving an opinion was because it was asked for, otherwise I would have remained silent. I caught a ration of crap for it, including being called names in the thread, and having hateful things sent via PM, and I got a gun group stalker for a short while afterwards, and there was only one mod who spoke up supporting the fact that opinions had been asked for, while Fenway remained silent even though it was his thread asking for opinions.

Hence, my feeling is that my opinion doesn't matter to the site owner and he can run it any way he wants. I don't expect things to be run the exact way I think they should be run, but thoughtful consideration and acknowledgement of opinions and viewpoints when asked for, and allowing discussions you start to not devolve to that sort of thing is something I expect, and not doing so diminishes my respect for a place.

Now some would say I just got all butthurt about it. Naw, I've brawled with the best of them on the net for years way back since USENET only had a hundred newsgroups. I don't care to spend time arguing with fools all day long so usually I stay out of it. But I gave input in good faith and that faith was wasted.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I see this reasoning used a lot. It gets repeated a lot, just as you have done.
    My difficulty with it lies in a couple of areas;

First of all, my name is associated with this forum. Even if my name wasn't my user name, there are a slew of other ties including score sheets, sign ups, pictures, video, word of mouth and likely more.

Second and most important, regardless of my name or anyone else's...
    logo1.gif
    I believe stands for Indiana Gun Owners. The content of this forum paints all Indiana gun owners. Whether we choose to address it or not, ANYONE can read this forum.

Perception is reality. What do we look like to those not in our "inner circle?"
    The things you choose to ignore are still here whether you see them or not. Who else does?

I was speaking to subject matter as some members expressed they didn't even like the subject matter being here. If politics is something you didn't come here to see then don't go there, and if you do you need a thicker skin instead of complaining about subject matter that you didn't want to see in the first place. I am not defending those that demean or undermine the forum.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If mods seriously want members to "help" them by pointing out posts that need to be brought to their attention and this whole "New INGO" starts "effective now"...then you might want to consider changing that whole "you must wait one hour between reports" thing.
    If someone is spamming with one-letter comments to reach their 50, we can only show you where ONE is. A click away, there might be something violating some other INGOism, but that one can't be clicked on for another hour...what's up with that?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If someone is spamming with one-letter comments to reach their 50, we can only show you where ONE is.

And by the way, I'm currently talking about the "Where do women carry their LTCH" thread. Who knows where the one-letter bandit will go after that.
    And since you're probably headed over there to clean it up, why not take a minute and get rid of all the off topic crap in there, too.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If mods seriously want members to "help" them by pointing out posts that need to be brought to their attention and this whole "New INGO" starts "effective now"...then you might want to consider changing that whole "you must wait one hour between reports" thing.
    If someone is spamming with one-letter comments to reach their 50, we can only show you where ONE is. A click away, there might be something violating some other INGOism, but that one can't be clicked on for another hour...what's up with that?

The waiting period between reported posts is a software default thing. Scutter is working on a way to reduce that time period but it isn't as simple as plugging in a number.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If you simply type out a post in the manner you intend, with no creative spelling or self-censoring, then filter can do it's job and you'll be within the rules. If the censor allows it, then it's acceptable. That's not to say that the censor won't evolve, but if you just type in plain text your original thoughts then you'll be fine.

The only problems I can see arising, language wise, at this point in time are members creatively spelling filtered words. Know that this is a 100% guaranteed way to earn you a ban because it conveys that you know the rules and go out of your way to violate them.

I've got a question regarding this, I understand what you mean by creative spelling ie using @ for a or $ for s. But is something like this &@#$^& okay? Or would that be considered self censoring? Same as just replacing a letter or two with a asterisk?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Short note

I find more confrontational, personally insulting threads on INGO than the other 2 shooter's forums I visit.......combined. One of those has somewhere around 10 times as many members as does INGO so it's not just a matter of numbers. In the other, smaller than INGO forum, the owners (2) are the only mods and I can only recall seeing them exercise their authority probably less than 5 times in the 7 years I've been going there. Typically, when a guy steps out of line, he's just gone. A couple have tried to return under other names but they never last long. I don't know how many moderators there are or who they are on the larger one. I've never seen them have to step in.

It's my opinion that the INGO mods do a pretty good job, all things considered. There are clearly a number of posters who thrive on agitation and confrontation and I admit I've played their game from time to time. Hard as I try, sometimes I just gotta' respond to some of the garbage I see. That's my problem and I'm working on fixing it.

My suggestion is that INGO would be a much nicer place if the mods/ owner/whoever just banned the constant offenders. Alternatively, take a look at the sections where the heat is always on and get rid of them. Let the pulpit-seekers start their own forum.

The aspect that seems to be missing on INGO is a clear understanding that none of us but the owner has a RIGHT to be here.

Sorry. My "short note" outgrew the title!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've got a question regarding this, I understand what you mean by creative spelling ie using @ for a or $ for s. But is something like this &@#$^& okay? Or would that be considered self censoring? Same as just replacing a letter or two with a asterisk?

No, this is creative spelling, as well. Just say what you mean, and mean what you say, so to speak, and everything will be fine. The use of symbols is not necessary.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    No, this is creative spelling, as well. Just say what you mean, and mean what you say, so to speak, and everything will be fine. The use of symbols is not necessary.
    Okay, no problem. I was just curious, because I've got a habit of using them on occasion. It's just my opinion that sometimes they might "seem" a little more :xmad: than ****.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom