• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I'm looking into buying a transferrable machine gun, most likely from out-of-state. If the selling ad states "On Form 4 in XX State", does that mean we'd have to do two "Form 4" transfers (and two long multiple-month waits)? (They'd have to transfer to a SOT in Indiana first on form 4, and then a second transfer from the SOT / dealer to me via form 4?) If an individual transfers an NFA item to a dealer in another state, do they have to use Form 4? It appears Form 3 is only dealer --> dealer?

Or am I misunderstanding the process? I'm trying to make sure I understand everything involved before I make a bid. I am already knowledgeable on the laws for buying / selling "normal" firearms both inter- and intra-state, but less versed on NFA items.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Seller to FFL in his State. That'll cost the seller $200 iirc.

FFL dealer in State1 to FFL dealer State2 is quite a bit quicker. Maybe a month. Last one I had sent State to State cost me some money.

In State FFL dealer to you on a Form 4 @ $200.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

AaronK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2021
    Valparaiso
    I'm looking into buying a transferrable machine gun, most likely from out-of-state. If the selling ad states "On Form 4 in XX State", does that mean we'd have to do two "Form 4" transfers (and two long multiple-month waits)? (They'd have to transfer to a SOT in Indiana first on form 4, and then a second transfer from the SOT / dealer to me via form 4?) If an individual transfers an NFA item to a dealer in another state, do they have to use Form 4? It appears Form 3 is only dealer --> dealer?

Or am I misunderstanding the process? I'm trying to make sure I understand everything involved before I make a bid. I am already knowledgeable on the laws for buying / selling "normal" firearms both inter- and intra-state, but less versed on NFA items.
    You are correct in your understanding. It will transfer directly to your local dealer on a tax paid form 4 and then another tax paid form4 to you. Generally speaking a form 4 to a dealer is much quicker but still typically around 4 months. You will not be able to start your form 4 transfer until it's physically in your dealer’s possession.

Top Bottom