• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I find myself wondering about countries (such as Mexico) where civilians cannot own firearms chambered in calibers used by their military. I can speculate on some reasons, such as minimizing black market trading in military ammo or making it harder to use stolen military firearms and/or making it apparent by inspection whether certain firearms are illegal. Possibly even making it easier to identify who shot whom in the aftermath of a firefight

But it's just speculation. I was wondering if anyone knows the definitive reason or whether there was a overarching purpose and if so, if it worked/works

Because IMO your just as dead shot with 38SA as you would be with .45, or 7 x 57 instead of 5.56

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So-called "reasons" are typically just plausible political cover for whatever restriction/control the .gov wants to put in place. Doesn't answer your question, I know. Just wanted to throw that out there.

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im with coserman. Its likely a simple case of "if its good enough for the government, its too good for you. If we dont think it is suitable, you are welcome to use that substandard caliber."

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The other thing that makes it obvious that it's about "control" is that, I believe, the laws have been changed/updated in many south-of-the-border countries to further prohibit additional calibers that are not used by the military (ex. .40S&W, and .357 SIG).

Since many south-of-the-border countries have among the highest murder rates in the world [1], if you measure "effectiveness" by that metric, such policies are a failure.

But we all know that's not the point/goal of such restrictions anyway.

[1] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Top Bottom