For When SHTF, Would You Prefer Soft Body Armor or Hard Body Armor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    There are a lot of rifles out there, so if S really HTF, I'd want rifle plates. But if it happens tomorrow, I'm going with the soft armor I own right now.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Real steel for the wife, she'll be stationary and not in the fight.
    Mine is the lighter, level 3 stuff and I'm too fat and old to wear it very long and much less in any kind of real life engagement.
    Reading what I just typed out is a hard pill to swallow. Oh well, none of us will get out of this alive.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Mine is the lighter, level 3 stuff and I'm too fat and old to wear it very long and much less in any kind of real life engagement.
    Reading what I just typed out is a hard pill to swallow. Oh well, none of us will get out of this alive.
    Relax bro, it's just life. None of us make it out alive ;)

But today's the day to start getting rid of the gut. Tomorrow never comes so you gotta start today.

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    I only have hard armor as of now. I really need a set of concealable armor, because needing that is more likely, especially if you are near a protest. Never know if some political radical is conceal carrying a handgun.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I only have hard armor as of now. I really need a set of concealable armor, because needing that is more likely, especially if you are near a protest. Never know if some political radical is conceal carrying a handgun.
    Stay away from those areas.

When the aggressors begin invading your property, stack them like cord wood and lay them down like sand bags.

"body armor" is optional.

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    Stay away from those areas.

When the aggressors begin invading your property, stack them like cord wood and lay them down like sand bags.

"body armor" is optional.
    I suppose bugging in is what my hard armor is for. Still having the option for protection while out and about without making yourself stand out is pretty vital.

I'm assuming SHTF implies Argentina style economic collapse as opposed to full blown Civil War. Still gotta get groceries somehow.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I suppose bugging in is what my hard armor is for. Still having the option for protection while out and about without making yourself stand out is pretty vital.

I'm assuming SHTF implies Argentina style economic collapse as opposed to full blown Civil War. Still gotta get groceries somehow.
    Good luck

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Both armor types are necessary.

It's better for most people to 'bug in' rather than 'bug out' when shtf but you'll eventually need to go outside.

Both have their place and time. I think it's extremely important to have both.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Your question is about a SHTF situation, so since you asked for opinions and reasoning, as some have said. It’s your personal call.

Mine. Forget armor, good fixed fighting positions, on high ground. With a good field of fire. Get a good helmet with Kevlar liner, If your going to tote weight tote ammo. JMO.

The term SHTF is bandied about a lot. A lot of time by some that truly don’t have any idea of what a “real“ bad situation is. I call it the TV culture. Not saying you personally, you may have your CIB and 3 or 4 tours, but unless you have bad luck or poor situational awareness the possibility of needing body armor is low for the everyday joe. Keep your head on a swivel and good luck with your decision whatever it is.

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Curious to hear people's thoughts and why. I'd personally want to have one of each for depending on the situation I could find myself in.
    Depending on your needs, conceal carry in the city? soft. Going hunting? hard plates, there is no way you will carry hards 20 lbs everyday in city

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

OK, tell that to my wife. She is 60 this month, last week her best was 19 out of 25 clays from her Red Label, she hits quail as good as I do with a Wingmaster. Wouldn’t want to be downrange from her with a short bbl. pump gun with 00 Buck. Also wouldn’t want to be the one to tell her to “stay” when the ugly hits home. I do agree with you though, just not gonna happen in my case.

Top Bottom