For sale section. Can't reply to post with 50 posts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elma

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2014
    IN
    This isn't a classified site, folks. It is a forum, that happens to have classified ads. Join and participate, or become a site supporter.

Besides, I doubt that member is "out of a sale". It'll still sell w/o any problems.

Although that's true that this is indeed a forum, I would argue that the classifieds section is an integral part of that community. Try and find an online firearms forum that DOESN'T have a classified section. I think you would be hard pressed to.

My argument is also that buying and selling is a vital part of the hobby. I know I used to do it just for fun. It helps members to meet up with other like-minded individuals.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Although that's true that this is indeed a forum, I would argue that the classifieds section is an integral part of that community. Try and find an online firearms forum that DOESN'T have a classified section. I think you would be hard pressed to.

My argument is also that buying and selling is a vital part of the hobby. I know I used to do it just for fun. It helps members to meet up with other like-minded individuals.

The whole point is to get people to participate. By allowing people to bypass the participation and jump straight into the classifieds, it kills that whole concept; people won't participate unless you push them to. Personally, I think Fenway made the right decision by setting things up that way, and I know most of the long-time members agree. We've had lots and LOTS of members tell us that they'd have never looked past the classifieds if we didn't force them to be involved. They got involved, discovered what INGO had to offer and loved it. They became long-time members instead of classified snipers.

Your particular case is such a fringe one (having to create a new account) that it's really not worth changing the entire rule set just to cover this one isolated incident.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    Even after your 50 posts, make sure you read all of the Forum rules. I goofed up asking a question in the For Sale section, but then giving a "free bump" when they're not allowed. Que was nice enough to inform me the err of my ways, so I re-read the rules so I didn't look and feel like an idiot again. The rules are there for a reason, and they all make pretty good sense. It's all good.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Even after your 50 posts, make sure you read all of the Forum rules. I goofed up asking a question in the For Sale section, but then giving a "free bump" when they're not allowed. Que was nice enough to inform me the err of my ways, so I re-read the rules so I didn't look and feel like an idiot again. The rules are there for a reason, and they all make pretty good sense. It's all good.

Good point. I learned only a few months ago that once a new thread in the Introduction/Greetings section is 24 hrs old, you're not supposed to post in them anymore. Nobody gave me an infraction, i just happened to read the rules.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Just to add to the discussion, I have a suggestion to offer. As a previous member (who forgot his username and apparently I don't even use the same email account anymore) the 50 post requirement is somewhat frustrating. I have started revisiting the forums that I use to frequent and often don't go through the effort of posting a set number of times until I can post in the classifieds or PM members. For example, just today I stumbled upon a member selling an item I was interested in. I read the rules and knew I couldn't respond to the thread so I tried to PM him. (Must have missed that part.) So basically I'm stuck without being able to contact this member and he or she will be out of a sale. My suggestion is to make a limited number of PMs available to new members ? Say 5 or10 , just to be able to exchange contact info with that individual. I believe this would also help to prevent new members trying to post 50 quick poor quality posts.

As someone else said above, you can always become a site supporter and gain access to them right away.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Good point. I learned only a few months ago that once a new thread in the Introduction/Greetings section is 24 hrs old, you're not supposed to post in them anymore. Nobody gave me an infraction, i just happened to read the rules.

That's actually more of a guideline. In fact, the mods usually close those threads after 24 hours anyway.

elma

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2014
    IN
    The whole point is to get people to participate. By allowing people to bypass the participation and jump straight into the classifieds, it kills that whole concept; people won't participate unless you push them to.

I see your point. I want to let it be known that I'm not trying to pick a fight either. I'm just trying to open it up to discussion and raise a few counterpoints. My idea was to find a balance between allowing new members full reign and the concrete 50 post rule. I think it might alienate those who often work odd hours and travel / work out of state for work.

Your particular case is such a fringe one (having to create a new account) that it's really not worth changing the entire rule set just to cover this one isolated incident.

Again, I understand that. And I can even kind of get behind the 50-post classified rule. But the 50-post PM rule is what I somewhat disagree with. I think if at least gave 5 or so initial PM's, it would allow new users to build up a rapport with members. How often do you have individuals who have disingenuous or malevolent intent join and immediately start sending PMs?

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    I see your point. I want to let it be known that I'm not trying to pick a fight either. I'm just trying to open it up to discussion and raise a few counterpoints. My idea was to find a balance between allowing new members full reign and the concrete 50 post rule. I think it might alienate those who often work odd hours and travel / work out of state for work.

Again, I understand that. And I can even kind of get behind the 50-post classified rule. But the 50-post PM rule is what I somewhat disagree with. I think if at least gave 5 or so initial PM's, it would allow new users to build up a rapport with members. How often do you have individuals who have disingenuous or malevolent intent join and immediately start sending PMs?

I think the concrete 50-post rule is pretty fair. This isn't a buy/sell site, it's a forum first. The classifieds are just a bonus, and can be removed at any time. IMHO, if you're worried about classified ad privileges, you're here for the wrong reason. I came here to learn and share. YMMV.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    If I was able to blaze through to get to the sales page I never would of gone to any meet and shoots and end up volunteering to teach the Youth Shoot this Saturday. Some people are just blind to whats going on around them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Fair enough, but what about the 50-post rule for PMs? How are members supposed to talk offline?
    They use the PMs to buy from the classifieds...
    Build rapport with other members by posting in threads. There are always active threads on many different topics that you can give your thoughts too.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Dont worry. We can tell, or most of us can, that you're not picking a fight.
    We've seen some doozies with people hopping mad that their rights were being infringed, or we were anti-(fill in).

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Would you believe daily?

Printcrafts not joking.

elma

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2014
    IN
    Yeah. Not a joke. I've gotten some pretty bad PMs.

Maybe I'm the naive one then. I've been a member on forums that didn't have any post-count rules and I never received any PM's except to work out deals, discuss details, or just to ask questions.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom