• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    I've not been to an Appleseed shoot. In fact, until yesterday, I'd never even heard of it. Well, I'd read the occasional reference to it, but I assumed that it was some sort of training camp for kids.

I've spent my afternoon researching Appleseed because there's an upcoming shoot next month near me. I'd like to go. I even started a thread in the Appleseed Sub-forum to see if anyone else was interested.

However ...

My biggest hang-up right now is my rifle choices. I had intended to use my Colt M-4 (.22LR) for the appropriate exercises, and my Colt M-4 (5.56) for anything else. I had some concerns about using the .22LR because the magazines for it are 25-rounders, and hang down too far for prone. Several posters on the Appleseed forum have advised against using this rifle.

I could pick up a 10/22 I suppose, but my goal is to become intimately familiar with the AR platform, not get comfy with a plinker just to win a patch.

Anybody want to push me one way or the other?

I'd say just borrow a rifle from an instructor the first time you go. All the instructors I've seen have loaner rifles and are happy to let people use them.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    That's me in a nutshell! I had been selling stuff, looking for a target pistol but not finding one. Then I stumbled across this thread advertising free centerfire ammo and a chance to get on Atterbury with it (I do not have a place I can burn stuff like that). I had no gun. I agonized for a day, then signed up with 3 spots left out of 40. A shopping trip and a .223 bolt gun later, my play money fund was depleted and I was in. I think of all the guns I've bought that were just nice possessions, but didn't really involve me in any kind of "experience." I got my money's worth back out of this one in two days, and then some.

What creeps me out is how close I came to not doing it, or even finding out about it. I really like how it's absolutely NOT an equipment race, like every other type of organized shooting activity seems to turn into. You need a reliable gun with sling and detachable mag that will go bang at least 5 times, and with a sighting system that's easy to manage and repeatable. The rest is all just education and application.

It's training, for people who would never see themselves being a $500 tactical-course training addict. It's a shooting sport, for people who'd never see themselves entering a match. It's an engaging history lesson, for people who wouldn't be caught dead in a history classroom again, at this point in their lives.

The Appleseed folks have a great thing going here. And now, with corporate sponsors getting behind it, I can envision it really going somewhere if it's presented to people the right way.

This was a great post, BTW. Repped.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Teddy:

There aren't any garuantees on whether either of you will earn a patch in one day. But you will have a pretty good time! I'd say its more like a day of range time interspersed with some history.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've been shooting for a long time. I wasn't bad but wasn't great either. I went to my first 'seed last year March because it sounded like something I could do with my (at the time 14 yr old daughter) who liked to tag along with me to the range.

I learned a TON that 1st day laying on the hard cold snowy MCFG gravel. I shot very close to a Rifleman score on day 2. I was certainly hooked.

My daughter griped and complained the morning of day 1 about being cold etc. I wasn't expecting her to come back for day 2. My wife even encouraged her to stay home. I bought some little hand warmer packs and she was right back out there with me in the snow. All day! She finished and went from not hitting the backer to ~4" groups @ 25 yards. A huge improvement for her. She's now capable of shooting that same sized 4" group with her Ruger 10/22 compact at 100 yards.

These are the kinds of improvements an Appleseed can do for you. And like A&A said, the stories make you proud to be an American. The stories are nothing you have ever heard in history class.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Ya know... here's how stongly I feel about these Appleseeds. If you really want to go but can't afford it. If you really don't have a rifle to shoot. If you really can't afford the ammo. PM me. I will help set you up with an instructor and get you onto the firing line for a day. I'm not Mr. Money bags. I can't help everyone but maybe I can help someone.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Teddy:

There aren't any garuantees on whether either of you will earn a patch in one day. But you will have a pretty good time! I'd say its more like a day of range time interspersed with some history.

I wasnt expecting any guarenteed patches, but out of curiosity, what do you have to be capable of to earn the patch? What size of groups at 25 yards does a guy need to be capable of in order to earn a patch? I'm just curious how it's graded.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I wasnt expecting any guarenteed patches, but out of curiosity, what do you have to be capable of to earn the patch? What size of groups at 25 yards does a guy need to be capable of in order to earn a patch? I'm just curious how it's graded.

It's not just groups. It's transitioning into different positions, reloading, and shooting tight groups under the pressure of the clock.

aqt.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Time is part of it, but accuracy is more important. 2 shots in the 5 ring out score 3 shots in the 3 ring all day.

For me I never did get all 10 shots off in stage 3, but the 6 and 7 shots I did get off got me 30-35 points.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    thread is full of win and makes me want to go shoot right now!! I look forward to a future appleseed near me, ah several friends! Awesome jobs all and way to make this event stand out! +1 to all involved and to the awesome AAR!!! :rockwoot::patriot:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Wife just asked to shoot rifle this morning, so looks like we'll be going out and practicing some of that which she learned at our last appleseed together (her first).

N8RV - There is nothing wrong with bringing multiple rifles (to have another as a backup). And you never know, someone may have 10 rd mags for the M4 you can borrow

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    While I would not go so far as to say "Everyone should go" I will assert that it is a great way to learn to shoot safely and accurately, as well as to understand the importance of the US Constitution and our preparation/willingness to fight for freedom.

I did not have military training, so I wanted to learn to shoot well. Appleseed gave me good training so that, with practice, I will shoot well enough to qualify at military standards.

I did have good history training, and Appleseed does good history—the history the modern educational system refuses to teach. It is worth the investment of time and money if you want the republic to stop the march toward tyranny, oppression, and communism. Knowledge is the lock, but marksmanship is the key. We need them both if we want to save the republic.

I'm going to go ahead and point out here that my dad (quoted above) was quite resistant to the idea of going to an Appleseed for quite some time. He had some preconceptions about the attitudes the instructors and other attendees would have while he was there. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I was able to convince him that it wouldn't be as he feared and that he should, in fact, attend one.

And now look at him... recommending it to other people, too. Makes a boy proud of his papa. :)

Top Bottom