• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So maybe this could may fit better elsewhere? But yesterday we looked at a plot, which has a really nice shop, electric, both solar and MTEC. Cabin needs a good deal of work. We are seriously considering putting an offer in. Only drawback is they wave a water catchment system for water. The place is at the end of a road and there are maybe 4 houses around it which all appear to draw from the Spring.

Anyone have any experience with such a set up ?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    With all due respect my friend, why wouldn't you make your thread title something at least remotely descriptive of the subject matter?

A click-baity title prompts all followers to to open and read something that may not apply to their experience or interest and possibly be a waste of their time. :twocents:

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    What is the concern specifically? Spring running dry? Restricted access? Maybe a friendly conversation with the neighbors before buying or making an offer is in order.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Sharing anything with neighbors without contractual requirements, easements, rights, or right-of-way is always a roll of the dice.

I know a guy who lives on a gravel laneway shared by a few other houses and a couple farms. The county told them it's their responsibility to maintain it. Half want to pave it or put more white rock down to fill ruts and holes. The other half don't want the expense, including the farmers that do a lot of the damage with heavy equipment. It's a cluster.

Point is, they can't agree how to properly share and maintain a driveway. Not sure I'd want to count on others to properly share and maintain my only water source, unless it's written and recorded with the County.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The old family farm had a water catchment system at one time. Windmill pumped water up to a holding tank then gravity feed to the barn and milk house/ garden area. I take it the house was once fed that way also. How they kept it running that way in winter I do not know. Maybe just buckets from the spring.

we used to keep beer in the milk house water fridge and I take it that was how they kept thing cool. Water from the spring overflow went into a tile then into a the water fridge a cement basin basically and then flowed out the other side to somewhere.
    wish knew more about it, guess if I get back up there I could look about.

normal worst case would be drilling a well like most houses

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Sharing anything with neighbors without contractual requirements, easements, rights, or right-of-way is always a roll of the dice.

I know a guy who lives on a gravel laneway shared by a few other houses and a couple farms. The county told them it's their responsibility to maintain it. Half want to pave it or put more white rock down to fill ruts and holes. The other half don't want the expense, including the farmers that do a lot of the damage with heavy equipment. It's a cluster.

Point is, they can't agree how to properly share and maintain a driveway. Not sure I'd want to count on others to properly share and maintain my only water source, unless it's written and recorded with the County.
    From what I can tell there is a ram pump. So I am pretty sure there would not be any sharing involved? But it may warrant further investigation.
    If we were to make the purchase there are two areas where the spring pours out. Which is weIl with in the property boundary. I am told it runs year round and the area is called Rock Springs.

Additionally there would be no what I would call a neighbor. It’s just shy of 200 acres.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    With all due respect my friend, why wouldn't you make your thread title something at least remotely descriptive of the subject matter?

A click-baity title prompts all followers to to open and read something that may not apply to their experience or interest and possibly be a waste of their time. :twocents:
    Thanks I will keep that in mind as I would hate to waste one’s time.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

Shared drive ways are a thing and always a hard pass for reasons mentioned above.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Big concern is Spring running dry, and water quality.
    As mentioned above, digging a well is a 'worse case' scenario. If you like everything about the land, set aside your contingency fund to dig the well if/when it's needed (budget $10K - $13K depending on depth; I think ours ran approx $75 per foot). The neighbors could likely tell you how deep theirs are, that's gives you a reasonable guesstimate on the depth yours might run.

You will want to have a water filtration system regardless of your water source.

A water testing kits can be purchased from Lowe's and there are a couple options depending on what you want to spend. That would be the 'quick and easy' way to gain knowledge. We did one to check if our groundwater had any farm run off from chemicals used to fertilize, etc... Your area of concern may be different but the various types of kits offer you an option that may be worth your time.

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    If you can use a cistern, I wouldn't be opposed to that. I grew up using one. It takes just a slight amount of planning to keep up. Just make sure that you have enough roof based on the amount of seasonal rains. A filtration system is also a bonus.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    As mentioned above, digging a well is a 'worse case' scenario. If you like everything about the land, set aside your contingency fund to dig the well if/when it's needed (budget $10K - $13K depending on depth; I think ours ran approx $75 per foot). The neighbors could likely tell you how deep theirs are, that's gives you a reasonable guesstimate on the depth yours might run.

You will want to have a water filtration system regardless of your water source.

A water testing kits can be purchased from Lowe's and there are a couple options depending on what you want to spend. That would be the 'quick and easy' way to gain knowledge. We did one to check if our groundwater had any farm run off from chemicals used to fertilize, etc... Your area of concern may be different but the various types of kits offer you an option that may be worth your time.
    Thanks we looked into the cost of demolishing the two dilapidated buildings and they seemed un willing to come off full asking price . Which was full average price per acre with utilities in place.

So we took a hard pass. Then today we heard from their agent wanting to accept our offer after rejecting it. So we moved on.

Top Bottom