Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    *gasp*

Bacon.. is .. gone??

*whimpers*
    OH.... I see what's important to you too!! I so love Pami. At least she cares more about me than the bacon!

Funny post, but yeah, I gotta side with Pami on this one. We can always get more bacon, but there's only one Spas. ;)

What the hell. Reps to all three of you. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I just picked up some chocolate chips tonight to make some chocobacon.:rockwoot:

I have both regular bacon and maple bacon, which one would you suggest using? I was thinking regular, because the maple may overkill.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I just picked up some chocolate chips tonight to make some chocobacon.:rockwoot:

I have both regular bacon and maple bacon, which one would you suggest using? I was thinking regular, because the maple may overkill.
    Make some of both. Start with one slice each of chocobacon. Worst case, you don't like it, you just eat the rest of the bacon as is and use the melted chocolate on some ice cream or strawberries. (or wife....) :D :naughty: :rockwoot:

Blessings,
    B

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Christmas at the Cottage

2rxjgas.jpg

And of course, I have a private study as well. You know, just to get away from the daily hubbub.

23uu8va.jpg

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

You may want to add a little vegetable shortening to the chocolate. Then after you have dipped it in the chocolate, you'll want to put it in the fridge to let it harden quicker or it will be sitting out for a while so it can harden. I believe it is one cup of chocolate chips (oh and I used milk chocolate) with 1 Tbs of vegetable shortening (not oil but shortening).

Note:
    If you're melting chocolate to use in such items as chocolate covered strawberries, often times a recipe will call for added shortening. This is because the addition of shortening creates a smoother and more manageable consistency than melted chocolate alone. Doing this helps to make a more evenly coated product.
    The ratio between shortening and chocolate is very straightforward. You simply add 1/2 teaspoon of shortening to each ounce of chocolate, melting the combination and stirring until it is smooth. Remember: Do not use butter or margarine because both of these contain water, which can ruin the melting process.
    The issue with water cannot be overemphasized. Whether you use a double boiler, microwave, or direct heat to melt your chocolate, you must always make sure that all of your utensils are completely dry. Any amount of moisture may cause chocolate to "seize," or clump and harden. If this happens, add shortening using the previously prescribed ratio.
    Another thing you should remember when you are melting your chocolate is to always melt it slowly over low heat. It doesn't really take much to melt, chocolate-covered fingers on a hot summer's day are proof of that. Chocolate begins to melt at 80°F and is fully melted by the time it reaches 100°F to 115°F. You really don't want more than that because at higher temperatures chocolate may scorch, separate, become grainy, or become too thick.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    You may want to add a little vegetable shortening to the chocolate. Then after you have dipped it in the chocolate, you'll want to put it in the fridge to let it harden quicker or it will be sitting out for a while so it can harden. I believe it is one cup of chocolate chips (oh and I used milk chocolate) with 1 Tbs of vegetable shortening (not oil but shortening).

Note:
    If you're melting chocolate to use in such items as chocolate covered strawberries, often times a recipe will call for added shortening. This is because the addition of shortening creates a smoother and more manageable consistency than melted chocolate alone. Doing this helps to make a more evenly coated product.
    The ratio between shortening and chocolate is very straightforward. You simply add 1/2 teaspoon of shortening to each ounce of chocolate, melting the combination and stirring until it is smooth. Remember: Do not use butter or margarine because both of these contain water, which can ruin the melting process.
    The issue with water cannot be overemphasized. Whether you use a double boiler, microwave, or direct heat to melt your chocolate, you must always make sure that all of your utensils are completely dry. Any amount of moisture may cause chocolate to "seize," or clump and harden. If this happens, add shortening using the previously prescribed ratio.
    Another thing you should remember when you are melting your chocolate is to always melt it slowly over low heat. It doesn't really take much to melt, chocolate-covered fingers on a hot summer's day are proof of that. Chocolate begins to melt at 80°F and is fully melted by the time it reaches 100°F to 115°F. You really don't want more than that because at higher temperatures chocolate may scorch, separate, become grainy, or become too thick.

Thanks, I knew I needed to add something...Luckily you informed me it was shortening and not oil, since that's what I was going to add.

Top Bottom