• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rodeoclown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    I have my non resident Florida so can I carry in IN or do I need to get a nonresident IN permit and how do I go about doing that,I also have a PA non resident permit I live In IL I need to take a trip to IN.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    :welcome:to INGO. I don't want to tell you wrong so I'll wait for someone else to answer. For less important questions, I'd just make something up.:D

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Indiana recognizes the carry permits from all other states. We are one of the few states that believes in the second amendment.

rodeoclown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Rock on thats what I was counting on Thanks guys glad to be on board I didnt even know this site existed.

rodeoclown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    I dont have to live in the state that issued it to me right?Can you open carry or would it get me in to a lot of trouble.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I dont have to live in the state that issued it to me right?Can you open carry or would it get me in to a lot of trouble.
    Being that you are a non-resident, I would suggest concealed carry. Not that you can't legally OC, but it might just be less of a hassle if an officer wants to see your carry permit and doesn't know, or isn't sure, if you can legally carry here.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Indiana law says you must abide by our laws for carrying, as well as the laws of the state in which your license was issued. ie you con't OC on a FL permit, but I BELIEVE you can on a PA permit

rkba_net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    1- Indiana recognizes the carry permits from all other states AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT A RESIDENT OF INDIANA. Once you become an Indiana resident you need an Indiana permit.

2- Which means there will be a period from when you declare yourself a resident and apply for a permit and then receive the permit where you CANNOT LEGALLY CARRY.

3- Indiana DOES issue out of state permits HOWEVER they are ONLY issued to people that have a full-time job in Indiana OR own a business here.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Anyone who is not an IN resident, can carry a handgun on a valid license issued from anywhere in the world. Once that person becomes an IN resident, they must get an IN license.
    Since you're an IL resident (i'm sorry), you can carry in IN on either the FL or PA license. Welcome to IN!

rodeoclown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Thanks guys I got to head that way to see my cousin havent seen him in years again Thanks everyone

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Important: you can use another State's license/permit in Indiana until you become an Indiana resident. Once you become an Indiana Resident you must get an Indiana license. I don't know if there's any overlap allowed--if you can continue to use the other State's license while waiting for your Indiana license to be processed.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Important: you can use another State's license/permit in Indiana until you become an Indiana resident. Once you become an Indiana Resident you must get an Indiana license. I don't know if there's any overlap allowed--if you can continue to use the other State's license while waiting for your Indiana license to be processed.

What I've suggested to folks in the past that move here w/ an out of state permit is; Keep your old drivers license & carry permit, get an IN ID card, apply for an IN LTC, carry on out of state license & permit until IN LTC arrives, change your out of state DL to IN DL & contact out of state permit agancy & advise them of IN address. While it is possible to get jammed up (if it takes 3 mos. to get IN LTC & you use your gun off of your property between 2wks-3 mos after moving here) it's not extremely likely.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    What I've suggested to folks in the past that move here w/ an out of state permit is; Keep your old drivers license & carry permit, get an IN ID card, apply for an IN LTC, carry on out of state license & permit until IN LTC arrives, change your out of state DL to IN DL & contact out of state permit agancy & advise them of IN address. While it is possible to get jammed up (if it takes 3 mos. to get IN LTC & you use your gun off of your property between 2wks-3 mos after moving here) it's not extremely likely.

I'm Not A Lawyer; I don't portray one on TV, nor do I sleep in the Holiday Inn Express lobby. Also, the following may and/or may not be technically legal. However, it is possible to do what minuteman suggested above. I speak as one who moved here from another state about a year and a half ago. I may and/or may not have done more or less what he proposes. Do everything you can to carry legally.
    The two factors to bear in mind if you aren't absolutely sure you are legal:
    1. If you have it properly concealed, it will never become an issue.
    2. If you have to use it and it turns out you were carrying illegally and end up serving time, at least you aren't dead (which to me is the only justification for drawing my handgun-to prevent my deadness).

Top Bottom