• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've had one now for about 3 years and have put around 500 rounds through it.

It's by far the lightest handgun you'll ever encounter for its size, even fully loaded 20+1.

It's pin point accurate, and can be used at 100 yards easily if your eyes are up to it.

Mine has ran 100% every round, every magazine, every type of ammo, without even an inconsistency in ejection.

The trigger is excellent and one of the only guns I've ever bought that I haven't felt the need to work on.

There's only 3 parts to the gun when broken down. Slide, barrel, and receiver.
    Break down is similar to a glock in a lot of ways but you do not have to pull the trigger, in fact you can break it down with the safety engaged.

The round has questionable stopping power regardless of what loading you use. That's not to say it doesn't work, it's just not very well tested or documented.

I love mine, I've carried it every now and then because it's so light, but I have concerns about its stopping power and prefer to carry something else.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    It pairs perfectly with the PS90. It is my understanding that the round will penetrate nearly anything "soft" if ya know what I mean. It is on my wish list.

Load up with some 45gr barnes banded solids, then you can say that.

The standard SS197 doesn't do much against any kind of body armor, the SS195 was recently downloaded and has lessened performance against body armor now. It used to make it through some of the stuff, up to level IIa I believe it was.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I love the idea, I want one in a rifle and eventually, the handgun. People will say the round is not effective, they also say that 9mm is not effective. I wouldnt volunteer to stand infront of it.

Tim1911

Marksman
    Rating - 87%
    20   3   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Gruesome fact here. The 5-7 pistol was the one used at the attack on Ft. Hood. It is said that the shooter chose the weapon for it's armor penetrating capabilities and high capacity magazine. A quick google search should bring up lots on the attack.

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    Owning only Glocks, HKs, and Sigs, I had never shot one until a couple weekends ago. My cousin brought his along, and while I can't give you details like those provided above, I did find I liked shooting it. And it pierced an old beer keg used as a target, if that counts for anything?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's expensive (the gun), and the ammo is on-par with .45ACP. Meaning that it's too rich for my blood.

Reloading is tricky and not for the novice...

Holster choices are somewhat limited.

The ammo for sale commercially in the US are neutered versions of what the .gov (thinks USSS) and other country's .mil get.

-J-

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Whats some of the benefits to this round and gun?

Light weight, 20+1 capacity and 2 spare mags with the weapon. The weapon is accurate and fun to shoot - very little recoil, but a lot of noise. This would be a great companion weapon to go with the PS90 and you would only need to carry one caliber of ammo for both.

That being said, I don't carry mine too often. I prefer big holes - at least .45 caliber or larger.

There is a lot of variation and mis-information about the ammo. I included a link to the FiveSeveN ammo specs on Wikipedia. FN 5.7×28mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scroll down to the "Specifications" section. I use and carry the SS195LF ammo which is a copper jacketed, aluminum core bullet, which has performance very close to the SS192 ammo which was discontinued in 2004. Stay away from any of the ammo with the "SR" suffix. That stuff is a pansy version of the SS192 or SS195LF

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Cool and the P90 is the gun used in SG1....

So what you are doing is saying it is cool, the fact that there were many people killed and many more seriously injured?? And what does the reality of death and destruction have to do with a fantasy show?

Yes I know you are being sarcastic, but with the Fort Hood shooter using the FNH Five-seveN, there is nothing funny about it to compare to a TV show.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    One of my favorite guns.

I've had mine for over two years, > 1000 rounds with zero problems. I have 3 mags with the extra 10 round extensions. Very accurate and light recoil. I also have a PS90 and FiveSeven AR, 50 round magazines rock :rockwoot:. I've never had a FTF or FTE with any of them. All are easy to field strip and clean. The guns are a bit on the pricey side and the ammo is best purchased on line for the best price. The pistol is a bit large for concealed carry but is light for OC. As for the round itself, it is a wicked looking round and I would not want to be shot with it. I'm not sure what all those that poo poo this round do for a living but I don't really plan on shooting anyone with body armor on a regular basis, so it probably will suit my purpose. I wonder if they own a .22, .380 or 9mm, they don't do so hot against body armor either.

Hope that helps.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Scroll down to the "Specifications" section. I use and carry the SS195LF ammo which is a copper jacketed, aluminum core bullet, which has performance very close to the SS192 ammo which was discontinued in 2004. Stay away from any of the ammo with the "SR" suffix. That stuff is a pansy version of the SS192 or SS195LF

I don't care for the SS195LF for one reason. Lead free primers.

My lot of SS195LF is from 2007 and I'm already concerned about the primers being near the end of their life.

So when you're faced with the choice of questionable primers, or questionable performance... I'd rather take the SS197SR and know it's going to go off, no matter how old it is. Either way, neither round is going to have jaw dropping terminal performance, and the tiny difference between effectiveness of the rounds isn't enough to justify that primer type.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    If the ammo wasnt neutered it would be ok but it looks like a 17 hmr missing a rim lol. 7.62x25 Tokarev subgun ammo in my mind can do everything that the 5.7 ammo can do at a fraction of the price and with more mass. I thought about getting one awhile back the only benefit I can see is as a novelty because its in every video game out there and it reached cool status. A 9mm in certain loads can penetrate body armor too, cheaper as well. And many modern 9mms hold that many rounds. I think I saw an article on the 5.7 ammo not being much more powerful than a 22 magnum maybe it was chuck hawks I dont remember.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Marvin kept his in a bucket of soapy water.

"No seriously officer, we weren't trying to hide it, that's where we normally it keep here at the car wash..."

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I loved mine, but got rid of it due to only wanting 9mm and 45acp ammo...
    the five-seven was amazing (make sure you get the one with adjustable sights... the fixed sights are sighted in for the govt ammo, so they shoot slightly to the left and low with the commercial ammo)
    There are some SWEET SWEET defense loads from elite ammunition that do some nasty work on clay and other "test dummies", some results of some of the ammo is almost as good of a wound channel as a 45 jhp!!
    The recoil is nonexistant, and the SA trigger is pretty good, it didnt feel as awesome as I thought it would (comparing to my match grade trigger USP tact), but it was still nice, but I was hoping for a bit nicer trigger for the price.
    The gun is loud!!!!!!!!!!!! I would buy an after market barrel and suppressor ASAP so you dont kill your ears if you had to use it inside somewhere.
    The gun is really light, and sadly feels like an airsoft gun, but damn the reliablilty and preformance of the gun shatters those initial thoughts. But 20+1 rnds of self defense ammo in a gun that you can easily keep within a small target pattern, and lighter than a Glock 19, makes this gun pure awesome in my book! the 5.7mm has velocities out of its 5" barrel similar to those of a .22mag coming out of a 20" barrel! plus this type of bullet will tumble once hitting a soft target. It is a big, yet light, gun!!!! close in size to a USP tactical.... maybe slightly larger.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom