• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Looked at tsa site. So just checking since my reading comprehension is lacking.
    Bought a Plano lockable case.
    I'll take slide off unloaded gun, have magazines loaded in tsa approved locked case in my checked bag. Upon arrival inform clerk. And while in Florida I carry concealed. am I ok or am I going to jail?

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    TSA regulations (if I remember correctly) states you place the DECLARED to the Airline an UNLOADED firearm secured in a LOCKED gun case, and magazines if loaded (NOT in the gun) can also be in he case.
    A firearm may also be DECLARED, UNLOADED, in a hard sided case (suitcase) that must be LOCKED, ammo in manufactures boxes, or loose mags if LOADED outside your gun case should travel in a pouch that covers the top of the magazine so that rounds are not loose.
    So if you declare, an unloaded, firearm in a locked case, or declare one unloaded in a locked hard-sided suitcase, you should be good to go to Florida, enjoy your trip, stay safe.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ....have magazines loaded in tsa approved locked case in my checked bag.

Check with your specific airline, some prohibit loaded magazines. It'll be on their website.

Otherwise, yes, it's a very simple process. You don't have to have the slide off, but I do if flying with a magazine fed pistol. The locks on the case cannot be TSA locks and the key must be on you (if applicable, combination locks are ok).

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    A TSA lock is one the TSA have keys to open, they don’t have to page you to report to a TSA supervisor so they can get your key.
    If for any reason TSA needs to look in your checked baggage they will, and post a notice of inspection, time and date stamped, recorded on security camera.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A TSA lock is one the TSA have keys to open, they don’t have to page you to report to a TSA supervisor so they can get your key.
    If for any reason TSA needs to look in your checked baggage they will, and post a notice of inspection, time and date stamped, recorded on security camera.
    My understanding is that they DONT want a TSA lock. Just a TSA CASE. Because if its a TSA lock anyone (yes, anyone can find those keys if they look hard enough) can remove the firearm and disappear. They want you present to inspect it.

And always fly direct if possible. If not, make sure you dont have any connecting flights in prohibited areas like NJ, NYC, or Chicago. Because especially in the PRNJ if something goes wrong and you cant just change planes, you could be in a world of hurt. There are horror stories of people in NJ unable to make the connecting flight through no fault of their own being forced to take possession of ALL of their bags, and are promptly arrested the next AM when they declare their locally illegal firearm at the ticket counter when they attempt to restart their trip due to the previous day's bad weather, broken plane, etc.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Just recieved a call from tsa. Ammunition must be in its original box. NOT the magazine. Well it looks like I'll be buying some over priced ammo for this trip.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Just recieved a call from tsa. Ammunition must be in its original box. NOT the magazine. Well it looks like I'll be buying some over priced ammo for this trip.
    The inexpensive plastic reloading boxes are fine for your ammo. I always wrap a Velcro strap around the container.

Top Bottom