• ...and so much more!
  • derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Vero Beach - plenty of beach and pool but also have activities like horseback riding on the beach, kayaking, zoos, good downtown area, animal sanctuary, etc all close to the area. Could also do the Crystal river area if you're the "swim with manatees" type.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Panama City Beach, Destin, Orange Beach. All worth visiting for beach activities, can't attest to others. We've stayed at all except PCB and probably will next time. Other than Destin we've always gone off season for a warm(ish) weather break from Indiana winters.

Key West is a different world the best time of which to visit is Fantasy Fest but you must have a VERY open mind for that scene!

This. I grew up cutting my teeth in beach culture in those places. Granted it has changed a lot since MTV invaded in the 90s, but it's still a top notch area with plenty of Southern charm. For a person a little older like you, head a little further west of PCB like Laguna Beach which is a very nice, quiet, area, but still close enough to PCB to make trips at night for restaurants and nightlife.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    New Smyrna and St. Augustine are both fantastic places. Spend a few days in one...drive the few hours to the other for the rest of the time. Don't even bother with Daytona on the drive - just go on through.

There's a TON of stuff to do in St. Augustine, too. New Smyrna is more "homey" / small-town-ish. Kind of a quaint little downtown area.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    St George Island is nice too. Not much to do but very quiet beaches if you rent a house. Appalachacola is right there which has a very cool old style downtown and nice restaurants.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Hands down favorite destination is Key West but you have to be ready for that scene. I usually tell people to think of the raw grittiness and diverse venues of Bourbon Street only safe and clean like Disney. Do not go to Key West for the beach but sunsets are an event every evening.

St. Pete Beach area is nice if you want to be a beach bum for a few days. St. Pete City (not beach) has Chihuly(sp) museum and some high end ritzy shopping.

If you are trying to mix things up I think there is a ferry from Fort Myers(?) to Key West. A few days beach time in Fort Myers area, a cruise (ferry ride) and a few days food/drink/fun time in Key West.

Last edited:

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Panama City Beach is nice and clean with a visible LEO presence.
    Tons of stuff to do and places to eat as well. Check online with VRBO (Vacation rental by owner) and watch occasionally for condo deals.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    If you feel like driving, I'd highly recommend the Keys. A week exploring and interacting with the local flora and fauna can be a trip of a lifetime.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I wanted to second the vote for Gulf Shores! And it's right across the bay from the USS Alabama and museum. We've been working our way down the beach from Gulf Shores eastward now for the past couple of years.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Orlando- Universal Studios is ALWAYS a blast. that can take up 2 days. Just this weekend we went to Aquatica, which is Seaworlds water park. It was amazing, had a great time. For food we do Chuy's tex mex, Hash House a Go Go, and Delmonicos steakhouse.

In Feb we kayaked with Crystal River kayaking out of Crystal River. We went on the sunset tour. If you check out their google page, My pictures are on there. It was a fresh water tour into the Manatee area, then out to the ocean for the sunset. Great time

Clearwater is great.

Sea Critters for food on the west coast.

Also visited Ft Lauderdale this passed weekend. We walked the Macarthur state park beach. was very nice, ate at 15th street fishery

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Pinellas County, Clearwater to St Pete, and everything in between. Indian Rocks Beach is my favorite place to stay, it just has that old Florida feel.

Plus if you get sick of the beach, which is impossible for me, there is plenty to do in Tampa.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    After 3 late summer/early fall trips to western Florida I would rate them in this order: Ft. Walton < Destin < Pensacola. Pensacola is a bit lest touristy, has more to do and much better food options. That said Key West would be my first choice if it wasn't such a long drive. My wife wants to go to the Atlantic side so we are going to St. Augustine and Ormond Beach this fall.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks all for your suggestions and places to stay.
    I got a good start on what to see/do.
    Right now it looks like we are going to go West to East for this trip.
    Start off at Maderia Beach at John's Pass for their food and music fest, shopping and water attractions (2 days).
    Then stay in Orlando for 1 to 2 days and end up at Vero Beach for 2 days of beach and rest before driving back up.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom