• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    "So tell me, Mr. Defendant, why did you not fire a warning shot when you are clearly allowed to do so under law? Your Honor, clearly he intended to kill Mr. Thug because he did not attempt a non-lethal means of stopping him."

Call me suspicious. :)

Hmmm... never thought of it that way...You're right. It could be used against a person, instead of for them..

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Will this law protect someone that goes into the garage retrieves a gun then goes back into a house before they fire a warning shot? I would think not, that's not defensive gun use in my opinion

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Will this law protect someone that goes into the garage retrieves a gun then goes back into a house before they fire a warning shot? I would think not, that's not defensive gun use in my opinion

Depends on the circumstances. If your spouse is being attacked and you run to the garage and came back and fired to stop the attack, how would that not be a DGU?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    "So tell me, Mr. Defendant, why did you not fire a warning shot when you are clearly allowed to do so under law? Your Honor, clearly he intended to kill Mr. Thug because he did not attempt a non-lethal means of stopping him."

Call me suspicious. :)
    There is nothing in the law that mandates a warning shot. This only says you can't be charged if you do fire one.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Depends on the circumstances. If your spouse is being attacked and you run to the garage and came back and fired to stop the attack, how would that not be a DGU?

Ok, what if you are being attacked and escape, grab a gun then return and fire a warning shot? Is that a DGU

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Having seen the slide down a few slippery slopes and the virtual guarantee of unintended consequences rearing their ugly head . . .

. . . I hope this does not eventually lead to warning shots being expected or "required" as part of a continuum of force.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Ok, what if you are being attacked and escape, grab a gun then return and fire a warning shot? Is that a DGU

Sorry, but I'm not going to comment on every scenario. You commented that escaping and then coming back wasn't a DGU and then I gave you can example where any reasonable person would consider it a DGU. Some scenarious clearly would be unreasonable. If you look at the verbiage, fully half of the text is qualifiers stating circumstances when it would be considered reasonable.

Some of the verbiage:

776.001 Legislative findings and intent; defensive display
    41 of weapon or firearm; defense of life, home, and property.—
    42 (1) The Legislature finds that it is unreasonable to
    43 prosecute a person for acting in a defensive manner. The
    44 Legislature intends to clarify that the defensive display of a
    45 weapon or firearm, including the discharge of a firearm for the
    46 purpose of a warning shot, does not constitute the use of deadly
    47 force and is a valid method of preventing or terminating an
    48 imminent or actual violent criminal attack.

(2) It is the intent of the Legislature to immunize a
    50 person from prosecution who acts in defense of life, home, and
    51 property from violent attack or the threat of violent attack by:
    52 (a) Defensively displaying a weapon or firearm, if the
    53 person reasonably believes that it is necessary to warn an
    54 attacker to prevent or terminate an imminent or actual violent
    55 criminal attack, including by the firing of a warning shot;
    56 (b) Using force, if the person reasonably believes that it
    57 is necessary to prevent or terminate an imminent or actual
    58 violent criminal attack; or
    59 (c) Using deadly force, if the person reasonably believes
    60 that it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm or to
    61 prevent or terminate the imminent or actual commission of a
    62 forcible felony.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Having seen the slide down a few slippery slopes and the virtual guarantee of unintended consequences rearing their ugly head . . .

. . . I hope this does not eventually lead to warning shots being expected or "required" as part of a continuum of force.

This law doesn't stop stupidity. You currently have people asking why you didn't shoot the gun out of his hand instead of shooting center mass. Therefore, it likely will be used against someone at some point. Definitely sucks, but I think the good far outweighs the bad. I've always thought defensive brandishing being criminal was insane.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I was talking about the case that Kirk referenced, she went outside got a gun then went back and fired a shot, IMO this law would not change the outcome of her case

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Its going to be interesting to see the unintended consequences of this vs what they wanted to accomplish.

I wonder. Will prosecutors try to exploit it to prosecute SD cases? Will some gun owners try to abuse it? Florida, being what it is, I can't imagine things will go according to plan.

Tim Enyeart

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Marion
    It would seem they have left a lot for the courts to decide what is reasonable. It would seem as long as a violent attack or the threat of a violent attack is in place a warning shot could be an option. Inside the city, in a building, or near a crowd could be reasonable or unreasonable. The way it's written, not a good law.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011

Warning shotS?

"Stop trying to break into my house! I have a gun! *wave the gun in the window* I am going to fire a warning shot! *bang, a hole in the roof* Hey, I said stop! Don't do that to my door! I'm going to fire my second warning shot if you don't stop with the axe! *bang, another hole in the roof* I'm serious, I've got a gun and I'm not afraid to use it. Hey, what are you doing? Stop taking off my pants and bending me over. If you continue I'm going to have to fire anotherAAAAAH *bang* Sorry, that was an accidental discharge. Seriously, I mean it. Stop it, or I will fire my fourth warning shot. My revolver holds six rounds."

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Warning shotS?

"Stop trying to break into my house! I have a gun! *wave the gun in the window* I am going to fire a warning shot! *bang, a hole in the roof* Hey, I said stop! Don't do that to my door! I'm going to fire my second warning shot if you don't stop with the axe! *bang, another hole in the roof* I'm serious, I've got a gun and I'm not afraid to use it. Hey, what are you doing? Stop taking off my pants and bending me over. If you continue I'm going to have to fire anotherAAAAAH *bang* Sorry, that was an accidental discharge. Seriously, I mean it. Stop it, or I will fire my fourth warning shot. My revolver holds six rounds."

So basically, what you're saying is, a warning shot is very similar to a red line stated very publicly where there's no intention of enforcing the red line.

Top Bottom