• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lildave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have found over the years that I call less and be patient. I use a 870 supermag with 31/2 winchester #6. The choke my gun likes best is the Rem ventulater. Yours with likely shoot best with something else. It's trial and error.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    This year I'm hunting with an AYA O/U in 28 gauge, just to say i did it.

By fall the longbow ought to be done, then it's time for a stick-and-string tom.

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    Patience, good camo, and know where the birds like to roost and thier favorite eating grounds . When you think your not gonna see any action hang in there and waite a little longer, i have more than once got discouraged and got up to move thinking the bird hung up or hened up only to spook a silent bird coming in to investigate a good hour after he answered my last call. Good luck with your first turkey hunt!

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I like the kicks choke tube for my 1187 with number 5 rem nitro's. I usually kill my bird within 25 yard but it does well out to 60. I have taken many newbies hunting and the best advice I can say is don't call too much or too loud. If he gobbles at you don't get all excited and start hammering him with calls. Go soft and if he shuts up wait five mins or so and cut hard. Alot of birds will come in silent. Just be still and patient. Don't get too involved in those videos cause they will teach you bad habbits. Those guys all want to film a bird who comes running in gobbling his head off. It usually don't happen that way.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I am in the same boat you are in. I have been turkey hunting once and I didn't see anything, but I am going to try it again this year. Actually my wife is going with me this year and I may end up just calling for her.

I don't know how good this is (seeing as how it comes from the NWTF I would hope it is good), but I have listening to these. Good luck to you.

Turkey Calling Tips, Live Turkey Calls: National Wild Turkey Federation

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    When it comes to mouth calls practice a lot. If a mouth call doesnt fit right you can trim them. People with a tall pallet may like a jr model better. I like the Scott Ellis of Woodhaven calls, they are very easy to blow. Single reeds are easier then multiple reeds. If you use multi reed calls the longest reed goes toward your pallet. Other mouth calls that are great calls are Perfection calls and Hooks Custom calls. All three of these call makers are top notch.

mjones

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    McCordsville
    almost every bird i have had in gun range has come in without warning if it's wet be sure to take a bath in some off to keep bugs off of you that is the worst when you are trying not to move:twocents:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Picked up a couple of CD's to listen to, come in handy driving back and forth from work.

After reading some reviews on Cabela's, I picked up a Tru-Glo Choke/Sight combo for my vent rib barrel. Figure I'd give it a try.

nsenneking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Ballstown
    my first word of wisdom is that the most expensive choke tubes are not always best. i went out and bought an undertaker tube and it shot like crap out of my gun. my old man gave me a ten dollar choke tube he has had for years and it shoots amazing. i downed a 28 pound bird last year at 48 yards. also, buy a seat or a vest with a seat that is comfortable. if not, your butt will be asleep in minutes and you will be squirming. and another thing said well is camo is everything. i have a leafy suit in realtree apg with mathching facemask and gloves and i have had hens within10 feet

Top Bottom