• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bw8755

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    South Bend
    So, I've finally got enough of the right parts to start loading on a new LnL AP for .40 S&W. what I have is some electroplated 180gr FP (brand unknown - loose bag from ProFire). We have Accurate #5 powder. B&S spp.

I also have Rainier Leadsafe 135gr FP electroplated as well, however we are starting with the 180's.

Anyway, I can't find a lead recipe for 180gr. (nor the 135gr) with the A#5. So, according to Rainiers website, it says if no lead recipe is available, use a FMJ recipe from a reputable source and start in the middle.

My references are the new Hornady and a 2007 Lyman's manuals, Accurates website.

So, with that said, the best option I could settle on seemed the Hornady book, which gave 180gr A#5 loads of 5.9, 6.4, 6.8 with a max of 7.3gr. (850, 900, 950 & 1000 FPS respectively) I chose to start with the 6.4 as it was middle of the non-max loads.

Does this seem like the correct choice? Again, first time reloading and trying to be safe. But it's kinda hard when you don't have a fully matched set of components per the recipe.

Thanks

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I just looked through my load data sheets. I use 6.5 Gr. Accurate #5 behind Berry's 180 FP plated bullets/CCI spp/1.125 OAL. This has been the best load for MY guns. I also have some data for a 6.2 gr load that was not as accurate. It sounds like you are on the right track. Please understand this is data that I have worked up for my set up and guns. It should only be used as a comparison for your own use. Good luck.

bw8755

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    South Bend
    Thanks for the help. I ran up some 6.8gr as the 6.4 had no over-pressure issues and those ran a little better. I am going to try some 7.0gr and see if that's fine as well, and if so, probably stop there (again, the recipe I'm using shows a max of 7.3gr).

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Lee has both, 180gr lead and plated or jacketed bullets. Plated bullets though are more like a lead than a jacket.
    At least that is how I treat them and load them.

Top Bottom