First suppressor approved today - 10.5 SBR question/opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Hey guys,

So today surprisingly my first suppressor got an approval from the ATF (184 days eform) and I had a question for those with 10.5 SBRs/pistols (5.56)

I wasn't sure what muzzle device to use when my SBR stamp comes.

I know 10.5 is LOUD and some say too short. Well I wanted to actually get the "short" part of SBRs so that's what I'm going with.

My question though is about flash suppression on 10.5's.

I was going to just go the route I've been switching my other ARs to ahead of my suppressors coming which is using the SOLGW Nox. But FCD also makes an A2 style keymo flash hider. The other option is was considering was the Jmac 360 brake that has threads on it for a 'direct thread' style rather using a keymo mount.

I know the brake without the can on will be super loud and throw fireballs. With the blast diverter on it should mostly all go forward and the brake saves a lot of weight over the others.

But running without a can - with an A2 style flash hider - how big are the fireballs? Or does an A2 suppress flash on a 10.5 pretty well still?

I want to be able to run it without a can but don't want massive flames if I can avoid it. If it's unavoidable I'll just use the brake and blast shield and just minimize the concussion instead.

Any help is appreciated, I've never shot a 10.5 in person and really don't have any friends that are into guns to let me try one out myself.

Jerry-T

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Terre Haute
    To be honest, my 10.5 (LMT DI) isn't too bad unsuppressed. I used the 6315KM and a TurboK with DA adapter until I moved to a Surefire 3 prong. SF3P is absolutely one of the best I've ever used for taming flash. Also utilized a bootleg adjustable BCG and it helps to be able to tune it.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    To be honest, my 10.5 (LMT DI) isn't too bad unsuppressed. I used the 6315KM and a TurboK with DA adapter until I moved to a Surefire 3 prong. SF3P is absolutely one of the best I've ever used for taming flash. Also utilized a bootleg adjustable BCG and it helps to be able to tune it.
    Thank you for your input.

At night is it pretty bad without the can? If you've shot it at night that is?

Jerry-T

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Thank you for your input.

At night is it pretty bad without the can? If you've shot it at night that is?
    This depended a lot on the powder/ammo I was using, too. SF3P does pretty good at minimizing the flash, better than the A2. Everything with a short-barrel on 5.56 seems to have at least a bit of flash regardless.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Never noticed any fire from the 10.5 with a blast can on it. Not loud compared to a 16" bull target gun with nothing on the end.

Top Bottom