• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coumtryflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Hi folks, looking for ideas on what would be a good shotgun to get to start doing skeet and trap. Would like to keep it under $600. If I really enjoy it, I could trade up to a $2000 Beretta later.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    O/U, you can shoot Skeet, 16yd, Handicap and Doubles Trap. For just south of $600.00 you looking at a used field grade O/U. Have you shot any Skeet or Trap? There are several great clubs in the Indianapolis area.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It might be hard to get one to do both, but I would try for a 12 ga O/U with interchangeable chokes. I own a field grade auto loader that I use for Trap. It works okay for me but I have challenged myself that I would not buy a Trap gun until I shoot two 20's back to back.

I also have an O/U for Skeet, but I don't shoot Skeet, lol.

Coumtryflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the input. I would have assumed that an autoloader would have been the most versatile choice. I have shot clay pigeons since I was a kid, but never anything organized. I have gone out to the Indiana gun club, and watched for a while. It looks like a lot of fun. Any brands or models that you would suggest on the lower end price wise, but still quality guns?

Cuttingedge

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Jun 10, 2014
    South
    I bought a silver pigeon (with a broken ejectors/extractors. Not to open a whole new can of worms...) for $500. Local shop replaced it for under $60. Shot trap MAYBE 5 times and went chucker hunting once. Still worth it though.

I wouldn't buy the first cheap thing you see tomorrow and justify if you love it or not. Look for a decent or GREAT deal, try it a few times and if you don't like it ATLEAST you can recoup your cash if not make a few pennies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coumtryflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Indianapolis
    And also wondering what the benefit is to an over/under versus an autoloader for skeet/trap/sporting clays. I would have thought that the autoloader have an advantage because of the reduced recoil

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have never looked at over/under shotguns before. What are some decent brands? And what should I look for as far as chokes?

Get one that has interchangeable chokes. That way you can use whatever choke you need for the type of shooting you will be doing. My O/U has Skeet choke tubes, IM, and Full. I use the Skeet tubes when shooting Skeet.

Unfortunately my field gun is old and I have to shoot Trap with the 28" M barrel. It works okay, but I would prefer to have a Full choke since I am a little slow at getting on the bird. Hence my current signature line.:)

As far as brands, you will hear mostly people recommending what they own since they are most familiar with them. And I will do the same. If I knew I was going to stay in the game,was going to shoot a lot and had the money I would at least buy a Browning, Ruger or a Beretta. I am too frugal to consider something like a Perazzi, Kolar or some of the other higher end guns.

If I was going to shoot recreationally and wanted to save some money for shells and fees I would look at Mossbergs and CZ's. You will hear quite some bashing on the internet of these brands, but it is usually just internet chatter or done by shotgun snobs of which there are plenty, lol.

I have not shot the Mossberg O/U, but I have shot CZ's and my brother owns several CZ's. He sold his Ruger Red Label and bought a CZ Canvasback and he shoots better with it than he did his Ruger. I have a 20 ga CZ suited for Skeet and Dove hunting and the fit and finish is nice and I am confident it would last me a lifetime of shooting games once a week.

Keep in mind that people like me shoot less than 2000 shells a year. At that rate, most any shotgun will last a lifetime if you treat it right and maintain it.

I'll add my opinion to your post about autoloader vs. O/U. You will have reduced recoil with the autoloader most likely. I like autoloaders as that is what I grew up duck hunting with. I am currently shooting the same autoloader I have owned since I was a kid. And even though it will most likely last the rest of my life, I do want to switch to an O/U. Reason; O/U's are simple with fewer moving parts. I don't have to have a shell catcher when shooting Trap and when I am off the line, it is more apparent to others that I am in a safe mode since they can easily see my shotgun broke open.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You can pick up a good used Remington 1100 for that price. I have one that came with a Skeet barrel and then bought a full choke barrel.

Coumtryflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Does the 100 not have interchangeable chokes? And where is a good place around indy to look at some good used guns?

I have been up to Indiana gun club, and they have a great selection, not sure how their prices compare though.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks for the input. I would have assumed that an autoloader would have been the most versatile choice. I have shot clay pigeons since I was a kid, but never anything organized. I have gone out to the Indiana gun club, and watched for a while. It looks like a lot of fun. Any brands or models that you would suggest on the lower end price wise, but still quality guns?

Look at the used guns at Indy gun club.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Our family has used the Bakail shotguns alot. I used a Kahn Artemis (its about 10 years old) with very good success. Several turkish over and under's are decent Starter guns. Most of the ones I have seen had choke tubes. Both the Bakail and the Kahn came with 5 different tubes.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    IGCs prices are very fair. Look around at what they have. Ask them questions. Also, they have several rentals including an O/U Browning 12ga. Cheap to rent, give it a try and see how much you will enjoy it. Don't forget to try out the Sporting Clays as well.

I like Beretta and Browning O/U or a Remington 1100. Recoil is not an issue for 100 shells of 12ga. But the semi-auto will start to shine after 200 rounds. But, the O/U has fewer moving parts. Or you can buy a cheap Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 and have a whole lot of fun.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    mossberg autoloader? im far from the best shooter, but i typically hit 20-22/25 in trap. i have only ever used my mossberg 535 pump. sure, when you have to hit 2 clays things can get a little hectic, but it is doable.

Top Bottom