First Shotgun! Target Practice Load Recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    I brought my first shotgun home last week. Mossberg 590 12g 20 inch barrel. I've read the manual, disassembled/cleaned/reassembled - now I'm itching to shoot! Initially I wanted it for HD purposes, but I'd like to get really familiar with it before I just stick it next the nightstand. I'd even love to shoot clays eventually.

I'm thinking about bundling up tomorrow and taking it out to the range. All I have right now is a ~4ft tall box I was thinking of stapling a large white piece of paper to (weighted with a cement block). I know it's not fancy, but it should work for this, right? Could you guys recommend me a good load for some first time target practicing? I was thinking of getting some buckshot and some slugs maybe? I know birdshot is a lighter load but for my purposes on a stationary target it seems like it'd make a mess and not give me a lot of insight. I've read conflicting information about what to use.

Any advice you all are willing to offer a newbie to shotguns would be very much appreciated! :ingo:

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    if you have never shot a shotgun, would pick up the following: low recoil bird shot, and 7 1/2 shot. I would stay away from "high brass" shells and defense/hunting loads till you get comfortable shooting it.
    hold the gun tight to your shoulder, or it will smack you (especially with slugs)

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    I would take whatever you plan to shoot the most. If you plan to hunt take whatever loads you plan to hunt with. If it is just for home defense then get some home defense loads. As far as shooting clays goes that shotgun might be o.k. for a few rounds of fun but if you get serious about it you will need an over/under trap or skeet gun depending on what you are shooting. You do have the right idea about shooting paper. Get to know the pattern of the gun it will help you hit the target.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Buy some dove/Quayle loads then a box of buck and finally slug.
    Start with the lesser d/q loads and see how you handle it then move up. Like was said unless you have shot them before start short to get the feel.

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Is the barrel a smooth bore or is it rifled? If it is rifled, it is made for shooting slugs. Shooting bird shot down a rifled barrel can damage the rifling. If the barrel is smooth, it is made to shoot bird shot.

I agree with what is said above. Start out with a dove load (2 3/4 inch, 7 1/2 shot). They're the least expensive shotgun loads.

Win1300

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    New Palestine
    I would just buy the 100 round bulk packs from Wal-Mart for about 24 bucks. Thats really all I buy unless its turkey loads or slugs. When we shoot skeet, I just use the bulk pack and a ten dollar box of clays. No reason to buy anything else in my eyes.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    I would grab some winchester super x loads from wally world to get familar with it, you can grab 100 for next to nothing. As for HD rounds, I would go with some #4 shot. 00 will go thru walls in your house. Don't get me wrong, I have slugs and 00 for certain uses. Not to mention they are about a buck per shell. That's what is so great about shotguns, so versatile. congrats on your first one, and good luck (they are highly addictive). Last count, I was up to 8 shotguns!

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Here's a shot size graphic for reference

shot_size_penny.jpg

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    I've shot a pump and an over/under shotgun before, so it's not a completely new experience for me, but I'm pretty green. The 590 has a smooth bore barrel. My understanding is I can shoot rifled slugs through it (if I want). Think I'll pick up a small variety, start with a light load like you guys are suggesting. I'll see what I can track down today. Thanks! :)

:yesway:

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Well, that was FUN! :)

I tried some light birdshot loads like you guys suggested then I shot 20 rounds of 00 buck which was a hoot.

46359_10200316858105097_676637448_n.jpg

Win1300

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    New Palestine
    Awesome! I love the target. Glad you liked it. Shotguns can be so much fun. Specially when you completely tac one out. You know.. Flashlights, lasers, extended tube, pistol grip/collapsible stock. The fun stuff which the government wants to take away because a pistol grip and collapsible stock makes it that much more powerful.

Just like adding flames to a Honda. Adds 10 horsepower!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Buy some dove/Quayle loads then a box of buck and finally slug.
    Start with the lesser d/q loads and see how you handle it then move up. Like was said unless you have shot them before start short to get the feel.

Would that be a load for Dan Quayle or the bird Quail?:)

bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    Awesome! I love the target. Glad you liked it. Shotguns can be so much fun. Specially when you completely tac one out. You know.. Flashlights, lasers, extended tube, pistol grip/collapsible stock. The fun stuff which the government wants to take away because a pistol grip and collapsible stock makes it that much more powerful.

Just like adding flames to a Honda. Adds 10 horsepower!

Flames add 50 horse power now JDM stickers add 10 hp.
    But on a serious note I like the target and I do enjoy a shotgun :)

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    Is the barrel a smooth bore or is it rifled? If it is rifled, it is made for shooting slugs. Shooting bird shot down a rifled barrel can damage the rifling. If the barrel is smooth, it is made to shoot bird shot.

I agree with what is said above. Start out with a dove load (2 3/4 inch, 7 1/2 shot). They're the least expensive shotgun loads.

It can?!?!?! Never heard of this before seing as how the rifling in a rifled slug barrel is only meant to engage the sabot on a saboted slug and therefore would only engane the WAD surrounding the bird or buckshot...
    I have been shooting shotgjns as well as other firearms for over 26 years and I have only known a rifled shotgun bareel to cause the pattern of bird or buckshot to well not pattern. It WILL cause the WAD hence the bird or buckshot to spin and when it exits the barrel it will fling the wad and shot.
    The bird and buckshot ARE held by the WAD UNTIL the load leaves the barrel causing it to NEVER come in contact with the rifling not to mention it is typically lead unless it is a migratory bird load and the lead rounds would hardly damage the steel of the shotgun barrel...
    Posts like yours are what cause misinformation to spread...

Top Bottom