• ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'd have probably laughed at him for several seconds :lmfao:

...paused to give him "the look" when I noticed he wasn't laughing with me :@ya:

...acted shocked, like I just realized he was being serious :eek:

...then convulsed on the floor, laughing even louder than the first time.

:rofl:

You and your friend did good.
    I, too, hope he realizes what an imbecile he looked like.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Whenever I go grocery shopping the first thing I do is walk over to the manager, or whoever I think looks like they are in charge, then unholster my loaded G19 (15+1) and hand it to him (or her)... sometimes I wave it around on my over to them, just to be sure they see me coming. Only THEN do I start looking for my food for the week.

Good thing I read this thread, now I see the error of my ways! THANKS INGO!!!

:ingo:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    So, when (not if) are you going to contact Marsh's corporate? Several other places would love to have your business.

I can't believe no one here has said that they would have handed over the g19.. one round at a time. Internet tough guys!

It is their right to ask you to leave but it is not their right to ask you to hand it over. What a joke.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I do think you need to contact corporate about their manager's attempted shakedown, and let them know how emotionally distressed you are by his criminal attempt to seize your property.
    Further, you should inform Marsh about their employee's earnest attempt to violate what I am sure is a company policy against employees with guns. I am sure that offense carries termination as a penalty, and it is only through your good decision-making that the manager didn't succeed at his dastardly plan.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Marsh is the LAST grocery that should try and scare people out. They will be dead soon, anyways. But I do bet if you OC guys carried a rear-facing camera, you would be surprised at people's reactions. I just bought a small camera recorder today for $13. Search eBay.com for MD80 CAMERA. Clip it on the backside neck of your shirt and record your outings. Might be neat to post on youtube and link to it here.

I am so buying one (if I can find some footage and make sure its actually watchable).

Anyways, I would be writing a letter to the local paper's people's forum. The fact he asked for you to hand over your firearm is disturbing. Even people who arent "gun people" should know that is extremely unsafe, not to mention stupid. That just screams "shoot me with my own gun" whether its intentional or not.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Sadly as someone who lived in Muncie for around 4 years and hung out there all through High School the previous 4 years... This does not suprise me.

Self important Morons comprise 70% of all retail "supervisor and manager" positions there.

What on EARTH made that jackbag think he could confiscate your firearm?

You did much better than I would have at keeping your cool. I would have laughed in his face and pointed out exactly what kind of an idiot he was if he thought he was legally able to confiscate my firearm all the way out the door.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I have read that the "Concealed Weapon Permit" Over the Shoulder Sash(like the girl scouts wear) or badge attached to either a chain badge holder, or clipped next to your firearm, should dispel any irate or upset managers! He probably had a complaint of MWAG, and wanted to handle without calling in the police. When the G-bangers carry their pipes(gats,piece,4 tay) I wonder if the Mgr asks them to please pull up their pants, everyone can see the elastic on their boxers ? Leaving the store without comment, would be my response also.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I'm using my imagination here a bit, but it's fun:

Manager: "Hand it over."

OC Hero: "How many grains would you like, they come in 230gr packages or buy the whole case of 2070grs for 10 percent off!" :draw:
    Manager: "n..o...the gun"

OC Hero: "It would be unsafe to hand you a loaded firearm, therefore, for safety reason I must empty it prior to handing it to you. You do want to keep your store safe right? Or, I could just leave it where it is."

The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    Stopped by the Marsh on Walnut here in muncie to pick up a card for my friend's baby shower. This is the guy who I bought the Rem 770 for, so a card will have to do... unless his wife wants a rifle after the kid pops out.

They decided to do a co-ed and less frilly event but i knew I needed to take something with. Figured a quick stop by the local grocery would suffice.

I happened to run into a friend of mine on the first aisle. He is a retired police officer and now has some sort of desk job with the FOP. He didn't mind the G19 on my right hip, but part way through our conversation i feel someone staring at me over my left shoulder. As I turn around, the manager of the store cuts me off mid-sentence and asks if I'm an LEO. My friend chuckled and I told the manager I wasn't LEO but wondered why he asked. He tells me that only LEO are allowed in his store with a gun "on display" and tells me if I don't have a badge, I need to hand him my gun.

Excuse me, I don't know this guy from Adam and have no reason to believe unholstering a loaded weapon with one in the pipe and no manual safety to hand it to a stranger is a good idea. I politely declined although my few choice words were not far from escaping. The guy told me that an Indiana permit allowed me to carry concealed and that's "how it should be." he then tells me he has a permit too and he carries responsibly so as not to offend anyone. I politely told him that was up to him and how he chose to carry but asked if he could show me on his LTCH where it indicates concealed. Now he was stumped and simply told me I could surrender my weapon or cover it. I told him that I didn't mind leaving and finding a store that doesn't infringe on my rights and told him to have a nice day.

Again, he told me all I had to do was cover it or hand it over. So I simply said no and left. My friend, who was shopping with his wife, must have forgot something on aisle one because they both had full carts. He also must have been just as offended as I was because he walked out behind me leaving this fine gentleman with two full carts of go-backs. Walgreen's didn't mind my pistol and they even had more cards to choose from.

Now, why would someone think that they would be better off with a loaded pistol changing hands than one sitting quietly in a holster? Was I just being a thorn by not covering up, or would you have done the same? Any one up for an OC event here soon?

Hindsight being 20/20, since the manager did not ask you to leave the store (translation: you were not tresspassing), it would have been funny to continue to do whatever it was you were up to the point of if and when he asked you to exit the store. I just get this picture of a little kid following you around the store saying "gimme, gimme, gimme". BTW, since your friend at the scene is a retired LEO, did he not have any comments during the incident or afterwards?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    as someone else stated in another thread dealing with the same thing
    (at a different store )

When he asked .."are you a police officer ?"
    I would have just asked him ..."Why do you need one?":patriot:

Exactly.

ETA:

I also never ask them if they want me to leave. If they want me to leave they can tell me to. I don't play their silly little games and to clarify, it's only been walmart that I've been frequently hassled at, which are few and far between.

Don't be rude, but don't be the gracious lap dog either. Make them come out and say what they mean. Don't make it easy on them by only having to say "yes". Also don't engage in an hour long monologue for each answer either.

Get names and their position and if it isn't the owner or head manager on duty, ask to speak with them before you leave...

Example:
    AH: Are you a police officer?
    OC: Is something the matter?
    AH: You can't have that in here.
    OC: What.
    AH: That... <insert pointing or the word gun>.
    OC: I'm sorry, I didn't see a sign.
    AH: well... you just can't.
    OC: <no words spoken, just look at them like they have a third head and if they don't say anything in a couple of seconds continue shopping, say "I'm going to finish shopping" if you like>
    AH: You have to cover that / take it to the car.
    <if you haven't already ascertained who they are by their smock/name tag, find out who they are and what their position is>
    OC: < ask for the manager, if it's during the day ask for the general manager. At this point they either haven't specifically asked you to leave or they may have, if they have say>: I'll leave, but I want to speak to your General manager. <notice you didn't say you aren't leaving UNTIL, you are simply stating your desire to speak to the GM>

AT that point talk to the highest level of management and shortly and concisely explain you were asked to leave and IMMEDIATELY verbally confirm their name and position, if there isn't a SET policy, they may back down. From there let it be known you won't shop there anymore, you'll be contacting the owner/corporate office to file a formal complaint ect. ect.

Do NOT get into it with the lackey at the door or the sporting goods counter. It's a waste of time. If you haven't shut them down in the first 3-4 short concise sentences, it's not going to matter. Don't waste your breath on "Second Amendment" diatribes.

With the exception of once, I've always shut down the lackey employee with the above tactics. The other occasion a call to corporate resolved the other matter. Remember, you aren't doing anything wrong, don't be a gracious doormat for some peons power trip.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I do think you need to contact corporate about their manager's attempted shakedown, and let them know how emotionally distressed you are by his criminal attempt to seize your property.

ding ding ding +1 it was an unarmed stick up. If a scum bag says "gimme your gun" is it any more of a crime than saying let me hold it for you? He even went so far as to inform you that he was possibly armed with his cc comment which may have been some form of threat since he didn't give you the secret handshake.:rolleyes:

Give it to him grip first, cause a AD, sue the store and when u own it fire the clown. Purple ommitted due to barney issues from childhood.

Way ignorant manager with delusions of authoritah. Move on spread the word and keep safe. I would have left as well just a little more more vocal even going so far as giving him the INGO web address where him and 10,000 potential customers will get to read about what a dipstick he was for asking for your weapon.

Have a Good day and don't forget to write to his Corp. and your local gun friendly news reporter about this.

kramnor54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    i would not have handed my gun over to anyone but i would not bo oc in a grocery either i guess you could say its a draw get it

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would not have handed my gun over to anyone but, I would not OC in a grocery either. I guess you could say it's a draw... get it?

So, if you were CCing and the manager saw your print and a similar scenario ensued, what would you do?

Top Bottom