• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I'm looking to buy my first Handgun and after about 2 months of lookin, readin, and talkin. I've think I've settled on the Beretta PX4 chambered in 40 s&w.

It'll be a dual purpose work carry and OC. so bulk doesn't bother me.

Anybody opinions or advice?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    .40 is a great load. Haven't handled that pistol before, but it looks cool.

Any thoughts on where you'd get it serviced or smith'd if you needed?

That's one thing about my glock, there are armorers and accessories every where.

I always liked the thought if I had to assist an LEO, I could always provide him a mag he could use, as I carry G22 mags.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I always liked the thought if I had to assist an LEO, I could always provide him a mag he could use, as I carry G22 mags.

Unless it happened to be a State Trooper, then he'd be SOL. ;)

For The Meach - .40 is a good round, but 9mm offers lower recoil, better accuracy and is cheaper to shoot - all things worth considering if you're new to shooting and guns in general. The PX4 is OK, though I would find it too large/bulky for everyday concealed carry. Have you actually handled and/or shot one yet? What factors led you to choose it, and what other makes/models had you been considering?

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    @ Shooter - i've been shooting rec for about 4 years off of borrowed guns. I like 9mm ,mostly for the price tag, but i've never felt too secure about its stopping power (i kinda have a "if i don't feel it, they wont feel it" mentality. So I'm a big fan of 40 since its a nice inbetween on stopping power and mag capacity. (the PX4 .40 hi cap holds 17) And i'm not planning on CCW'ing this one, it'll be mainly a OC/work carry for me.

Personally i just love the feel of the Gun. however i've heard she is rather maintance intensive which leads me to wonder about problems/logevity.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Get a used Glock 19 for your first handgun..........IMO

+2 It was my first and I have liked it. I don't have a lot experience with .40s, but I have never felt under-gunned with a 9mm with appropriate ammo (and neither do so many of the military and law enforcement organizations across the world).

That being said, I love my .45s b/c we all know that while a 9mm or a .40cal may expand, a .45 will never shrink ;)

I would get one of the classic designs in 9mm and go from there. Good luck with whatever you shoot and be sure to let us know how it goes.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I have shot the 9mm version and the gun is pretty light. That .40 round will be jumpy from that pistol. Have you considered other makers? There are lots of glock fans (as you can see above) XD, and Sig.

Try to get together with someone who has a bunch of pistols or rent a few. Have you ever shot a Sig 226 or 229?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Yep yep. After about 40 rounds at the range they get the "range shake". Heck it happened to me. Now the .40's just don't go out anymore.

CaptB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    don't go nuts on your first purchase. Something used might be a good idea. Check out what others have at ranges and sample what you can and then make decision to buy new.

drd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Westfield
    Got my Px4 9mm in January. 1300 rounds with out a hitch. I've been able to acquire inventory of over 2500 rounds and looking to increase.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    You should shoot an example of whatever model you are interested in buying, if you can find one to fire. Great suggestions were given, but you should try the gun you like. If you find that you enjoy firing it, buy it. If you buy a gun solely because others told you that is what you should get, you will probably wind up going back and buying the gun you originally wanted anyway. Good Luck.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Stating the obvious but......
    Get what appeals to you now, what feels good in your paws.

If after a little while your tastes change, sell it. You'll probably get
    close to what you paid originally and roll it over. :twocents:

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The PX4 is a good gun. I have the 9mm. I bought it just after it came out a few years ago. I took it to the range twice a week and put many rounds through it. I have never had it jam that I can remember, the only issues were ammo and not putting the mag in to the click.

I have at least 6k through the gun and it is holding up well.

Some of the guys who work up at eagle creek have shot it and they all liked it and shot very well with it.

With the .40 for your choice it should handle well with the rotating barrel. Look for the G model with the slimmer de-cocker levers and no saftey. The F model has a decocker/saftey. But you can convert a F to a G with a new lever.

The only down side is mags. The factory ones have to be ordered no one carries them and the price. I think you can get aftermarket, but I have not found any online places yet.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I'm looking to buy my first Handgun and after about 2 months of lookin, readin, and talkin. I've think I've settled on the Beretta PX4 chambered in 40 s&w.

It'll be a dual purpose work carry and OC. so bulk doesn't bother me.

Anybody opinions or advice?

My top 5:D

1.Beretta 92F *favorite gun and good starting weapon*
    2.Sig Sauer P226 *West German, high quality and comfortable grip*
    3.Glock 19 *preferably 2nd gen in my opinion*
    4.Springfield Armory XD9 *If Glock's make you nervous*
    5.Smith Wesson 5906 *or 5903 if you want lighter weight*

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    I would not think twice about getting a px4. I own a 92fs and a px4 subcompact, and would trust my life to either of them. I also know that with my shooting budget I would not be able to put as much ammo downrange with .40 as I will with 9mm. I am also not a fan of .40 caliber muzzle flip - which may or may not affect you as much.

I would not recommend the slim profile controls for the px4 on an OC gun. They are harder to operate than the factory decocker and are more designed for CC guns giving up ergonomics for concealment.

It is hard to make a bad choice, but reading forums doesn't compare to actually fondling the guns and shooting them.

Good luck!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    are you considering any other options? just wondered because your asking for opinions so you must have a second choice if we sway you. I'll tell I'm normally an XD guy but right now I'm loving 226's, ultra reliable and solid feeling.

Top Bottom