• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    All, so I'm getting ready to start purchasing parts for my first AR upper. :D Lower is already taken care of (Thanks to BWFrame for a great transaction!) and I've composed the following list of parts for my upper. Take a look, tell me what I've missed, what I screwed up, and what you think I should use/do instead.
    ComponentMakeDescription
    Upper receiverSpikes TacticalForged M4 Flat Top Upper Receiver, includes FA and Dust cover installed
    BarrelCMMG16" 5.56MM Stainless Steel Mid length Gas
    Gas Block[STRIKE]MidWest Industries[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Extra height railed Gas block[/STRIKE] TBD
    Gas TubeSpikes TacticalMelonite-coated Gas Tube, Mid-length
    BCGPSAHPT MPI Phosphate coated FA Bolt carrier Group
    HandguardsMidWest IndustriesGen2 T-Series One Piece Free Float Handguard, 9-inch Mid-Length
    Charging handle
    Bravo Co. Mfg.Gunfighter 5.56mm/.223 Charging Handle, Mod 3-Large Latch
    Sights
    TBD
    TBD

Thank you All!

Last edited:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Let us know how your build goes. It's not that hard. Have you got the tools lined up?
    I've got a few different sources for the tools ;) one of them is a neighborhood friend, just down the road from me... ;)

The only bad thing I see about building this, is that then I'm going to go, "well that wasn't so bad, what else can I build?" Then comes the 20 ton press, the heavy duty drill press, and eventually the mill! I can see it now... oh my wife is gonna be pissed! :D

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5%3B78%3Dot%3E8%3C34%3D%3C45%3D344%3DXROQDF%3E25%3B8948%3B47253ot1lsi

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Oh I know the story. I got mill/lathe & many other tools that way. The cool thing about AR's is tooling is simple if your not doing 80% receiver. I am setting the mill up right now to do another 80%'er. It's fun.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Burl, I did forget sights... hmmm, now to figure that fun out!

1911ly, yeah, I'm already looking at 80%er's... then I'm thinking about the vz.58 receiver that CNC warrior has.... Oh this could be very bad!:cool:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Tactical Machining is one of the best jig's. There are lost of company's making 80% lowers. Right now I am setup for a poly. I have the stuff for aluminum. Just haven't done it yet. Next on the list.

I am doing an AK at the moment and have done a Sten and have a few more in the works. It's addictive. Really addictive! Have fun! Take lot's o pics!!

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I'll try and take lots of pics.... I'm looking at the Vision Armory 80's right now... they are an IN based company, so I can "keep it local". I've looked at the TM's as well, and it's a toss up between the two... of course right now, I don't even have a drill press, so I can't finish one if I wanted to!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Depends on the BUIS, Magpul recommends not mounting their BUIS to railed gas blocks because of heat.

I just find it a much cleaner look with a low profile gas block and you can extend the rail over it a little, if you do that too, you can get a longer rail and a longer sight radius.

Another option is a folding front sight gas block (Yankee Hill and a few others make)

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    OK, so I'm looking at the YHM folding sight gas blocks, and now I'm thinking, OK so I can get an extended rail... but then there's only really two companies that I've found that make extended Mid length rails... and they are bloody expensive! On that note, what is/are the differences/benefits of a carbine versus a mid-length versus a rifle length gas system?

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    You don't have to get an "extended midlength" handguard. Look at rifle lengths and even longer up to 15". I am in the process of building a midlength too and purchased a Troy 11.0 TRX extended battle rail which is 11" and puts it about and inch and a half or so past the gas block.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    You don't have to get an "extended midlength" handguard. Look at rifle lengths and even longer up to 15". I am in the process of building a midlength too and purchased a Troy 11.0 TRX extended battle rail which is 11" and puts it about and inch and a half or so past the gas block.

but will it have the cut out at the proper position for the YHM gasblock front sight?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    but will it have the cut out at the proper position for the YHM gasblock front sight?

I went over the gas block with the 13" Troy rail and mounted the Troy BUIS at the front. (I duplicated that on my dedicated .22LR upper.) Longer sight radius, longer support arm grip to "drive the gun." You can always not use all the length, but buying it twice to add length is way more expensive.

13272_NpAdvHover.jpg

^^^^ I taught him everything he knows...:):

:ugh:
    You should borrow the 22 LR gun for a week or two. You could play erector set on your lower, shoot up all your .22's, see what you like and not, etc.

Last edited:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    LOL, I may have to take you up on that. I'm still not clear on the reasoning/differences in the different gas systems. from what I understand you are saying Burl, the forearm length doesn't really matter if you don't have the standard A2 style sight tower, as long as your gas block will fit under the hand guard, you can use whatever length you want, correct?

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    LOL, I may have to take you up on that. I'm still not clear on the reasoning/differences in the different gas systems. from what I understand you are saying Burl, the forearm length doesn't really matter if you don't have the standard A2 style sight tower, as long as your gas block will fit under the hand guard, you can use whatever length you want, correct?

That is correct. Use a low profile gas block and you can choose from a variety of lengths then use some brand or flip up sight.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    OK, so I'm looking at the YHM folding sight gas blocks, and now I'm thinking, OK so I can get an extended rail... but then there's only really two companies that I've found that make extended Mid length rails... and they are bloody expensive! On that note, what is/are the differences/benefits of a carbine versus a mid-length versus a rifle length gas system?

Carbine gas system is 7", midlength is 9", rifle length is 12". Most carbine barrels are going to be carbine lengths and mids are becoming more popular. Mids operate under lower pressure (sometimes less felt recoil) and the gas being directed into the BCG is cooler than a carbine. Either system is fine, for a 16" barrel I prefer mid length but that's just me.

Yup, look into rifle length free floats or just long rails. If you're not wanting to drop a ton but still have a slick and light rail, CMMG SSK Keymod is pretty slick.

Good bang for the buck forearms are CMMG keymods too and cheaper. Yankee Hill make some decent forearms and not terribly expensive for the length.

Low pro gas block then run the rail as long as you like, attach front BUIS to rail

Airborne18th

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Good luck on your build. I am with the group that chooses the free float over the low pro gas block. You can remove the hand guard with out disturbing the gas block if you need to clean it cause of dust, coyote hair, or rain. I have a Samson 7 inch hand guard that accommodates my adams arms piston conversion kit. It has the cutout for the railed gas block. It was kind of a PITA to put on. I think I have a mid length I am not using. I like the Midwest industries ss free float and I have two of them. They are light and customizable and come in different color choices. You will need a barrel nut for these and others for that matter.

Good luck with your build

Top Bottom