• ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    20240228_155419.jpg

High winds gave me this present. You can watch the ground heave and settle with the wind. Of course, the power line is on one side and the cable line is on the other side. Fortunately, I can drop the cable line and drop the tree. I also have to remove the fence before I drop it. Shouldn't be too difficult, just lots of small annoying details.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    One of the places I've worked for made live edge tables like this. Great looking but very expensive.
    My wife wants me to make her one. :rolleyes:

Specifically one that is made of two boards of book matched white oak with a minimum of 2-1/2" thickness.

I have the tools and the skills to pull it off, but the thing I've always wondered, how do you keep it from bowing/cupping?

Just bury some C channel in the bottom side?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My wife wants me to make her one. :rolleyes:

Specifically one that is made of two boards of book matched white oak with a minimum of 2-1/2" thickness.

I have the tools and the skills to pull it off, but the thing I've always wondered, how do you keep it from bowing/cupping?

Just bury some C channel in the bottom side?

That's exactly what the people I worked for did, the bottom of the table had substantial steel stringers attached to it that also acted as attachment points for the legs. The tables were in the 2,5 -3.5 inch range for thickness. They filled in the cracks with 100 solids dark brown or black epoxy and then ran them through a planer to clean them up before sand and finish.

You can also soak the wood in PEG if it is green enough. That's a wood conservation trick that prevents cracking and bowing, but only works on green or submerged wood. More info and PEG are available from Rockler.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    That rack on the left, my friends, is a cord of walnut, poplar, maple, and red oak.

I'm making a big deal about it because the last time we had a full cord cut, rounded, split, and stacked was January of 2022. Life threw us some challenges between then and now so this is a milestone of getting back to what we love. It was a good day. God is good.
    20240302_155734.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Oh, and another thing....

It is no fun starting a weekend with the plan to cut rounds for firewood only to discover that the previous trip out you must have twisted the bar on your primary saw. Can't see it unless you look really close, but it is apparent when you try to cut rounds and every time the saw pulls to the right and you can't make a straight cut to save your life.

I thought I was losing my mind until I pulled out the OG's saw and had no problem cutting straight rounds.

Sheesh.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    That rack on the left, my friends, is a cord of walnut, poplar, maple, and red oak.

I'm making a big deal about it because the last time we had a full cord cut, rounded, split, and stacked was January of 2022. Life threw us some challenges between then and now so this is a milestone of getting back to what we love. It was a good day. God is good.
    View attachment 337395
    That looks like a great day…. Blessings. Tim

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Got back in from getting a small load. The widow maker fell over winter.. finally! I’m cutting on that. Also every time I go out I cut buckeye trees down. There everywhere
    Trees are starting to bud out
    Picture below is a birch tree. The piliated woodpeckers live in the top. I really need to cut that down soon.
    88560316-EF4E-4205-A324-F3488544305B.jpeg 0D4CECF5-584B-4CF9-84FE-4312570ED223.jpeg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Dozens and dozens of oaks just like this one on my place. Lined up a splitter for next trip up. That's my brother with his little 16" Craftsman saw. View attachment 337523
    Your little brother has the same thing going on that I was struggling with last weekend. The bar on his saw is "tweeked" or twisted, causing the cut to drift and making it nearly impossible to make a straight cut.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Your little brother has the same thing going on that I was struggling with last weekend. The bar on his saw is "tweeked" or twisted, causing the cut to drift and making it nearly impossible to make a straight cut.
    Aye. He got it so hot it probably warped. Lol.
    The saw is now a backup. He bought a Stihl like mine.
    Oh, he is my big brother. I'm much younger and better looking.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aye. He got it so hot it probably warped. Lol.
    The saw is now a backup. He bought a Stihl like mine.
    Oh, he is my big brother. I'm much younger and better looking.
    Take it off and look at it to see if it is straight. If it isn't put it on something straight and flat and fix it.

Just as likely the chain needs sharpening. If he got the BAR hot then the chain is trash.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Take it off and look at it to see if it is straight. If it isn't put it on something straight and flat and fix it.

Just as likely the chain needs sharpening. If he got the BAR hot then the chain is trash.
    He trashed it. Taught him about REC90, quality bar oil and bring enough gun. His saw is fine for the brush we were cutting. Outmatched for the oak.

Top Bottom