• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Rosenbah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Springfield, OH
    On the subject of milling wood, here are some pines at the neighbors, that we sent to mill over the summer.

View attachment 175400 View attachment 175401
    3 of the 4 trees had died to the heavy freeze last winter. We sent 11 logs to the sawmill.

3 logs were milled 3” thick for a new bridge. 12 to 15 foot long, and up to 21” wide.
    View attachment 175402
    Sir, That is Awesome! And your saw is huge. I started using my dad's Homelite C-72 when I was about 13-14. it was a great saw but not that big.

God bless!

Rosenbah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Springfield, OH
    Personally never used it, but it's got to better than the HF one I started on. It was so loose keeping a constant angle was impossible.

Oregon doesn't make junk, and actually stand behind their products.

For $100, i think its hard to beat that value.
    bocefus,

Thanks for the insight. That is kind of what I thought. I don't need an industrial grinder but thought this might be a decent gable. Yes Oregon is usually good and I can sharpen 8-12 chains and come out ahead.

Thanks!

Rosenbah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Springfield, OH
    We've found you have a couple of years that you can leave it standing before you need to harvest it. Once it's on the ground, you have a year-ish.

When we started, we never thought about selling what we cut. But we cut far more than we could use in a year. I cannot tell you if we are making money selling what we've harvested. But it is certainly paying for the gas, oil and chains we are using to conduct what we still consider a hobby.
    Right, I think after a year standing, it will start to rot - unless the majority of the bark falls off.
    As a kid in WI, we had a TON of elm to cut due to the Dutch Elm Disease. those could stand for a couple years and usually lost all of thier bark which helped preserve it standing. Ash is not quite as durable.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Right, I think after a year standing, it will start to rot - unless the majority of the bark falls off.
    As a kid in WI, we had a TON of elm to cut due to the Dutch Elm Disease. those could stand for a couple years and usually lost all of thier bark which helped preserve it standing. Ash is not quite as durable.
    I’ve had good results with ash standing or down.. I just do the put a chain test to it. If it makes good chips it’s been good. I just cut up two ash that’s been down for a couple of years but we’re off the ground D2C53D9B-AB68-4A7C-B993-7A8AC61C0429.jpeg 077BFE60-DF7B-446B-969B-F865B92481FD.jpeg

Rosenbah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Springfield, OH
    Right, If they cut like butter, they are too far gone. Those also seem to have lost all/most bark. That does help them breathe and not rot. Good work friend!

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I
    Sir, That is Awesome! And your saw is huge. I started using my dad's Homelite C-72 when I was about 13-14. it was a great saw but not that big.

God bless!
    I primarily run two saws. A Stihl MS391 with a 25” bar and a MS250 with a 18”. The 25” will get through most with out having to cut from both sides. A lot of the 100’ plus pines are over 30”s at the base though. There are some big trees down here, and some really big saws, like 3 and 4 foot bars. Mine are just toys. :)

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I have had great results with this.. and there are YouTube videos on testing of it. You can buy cheaper ones but my wife had bought me one a couple of years ago and it’s been working out well.

Here is it on a 25” bar and a 20” bar. The guides follow the other teeth to keep it aligned and it also files the depth gauge as you sharpen. It usually takes a fees passes to touch up a chain. You can replace the files when needed.
    D7F21F67-562E-4809-9EDB-99EB05C1895B.jpeg 930CF787-E4E5-4949-A7CC-AF29B723B714.jpeg

Last edited:

Rosenbah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Springfield, OH
    I have had great results with this.. and there are YouTube videos on testing of it. You can buy cheaper ones but my wife had bought me one a couple of years ago and it’s been working out well.

Here is it on a 25” bar and a 20” bar. The guides follow the other teeth to keep it aligned and it also files the depth gauge as you sharpen. It usually takes a fees passes to touch up a chain. You can replace the files when needed.
    View attachment 176227 View attachment 176228
    So that is how those work. How long does it take to sharpen a 20" chain? Are there different tools for different sized chains? i.e. should I buy one that is specifically for my pitch of chain?

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    So that is how those work. How long does it take to sharpen a 20" chain? Are there different tools for different sized chains? i.e. should I buy one that is specifically for my pitch of chain?
    Maybe a few minutes..? Ideally they show using a vice but I don’t have one in the woods.. yes you will need one for each different gauge of chain.
    This blue one is made by Pferd.. they make very good files, from Germany.
    I have been cutting quite a bit of wood lately on the same chain.. a quick touch up and I’m back to make piles of chips.
    Bottom line is much easier than just a file alone for me.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I'm not in the same league as most of you guys but I'm happy with my 2022 upgrades. I added the roof to my large outdoor rack and bought a coupe of IBCs. I have space in a pole barn so these will season indoors. My JD3038 will, barely, move a loaded IBC.

IMG_20211116_113837.jpg IMG_20211116_112803.jpg

Rosenbah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Springfield, OH
    Maybe a few minutes..? Ideally they show using a vice but I don’t have one in the woods.. yes you will need one for each different gauge of chain.
    I have been cutting quite a bit of wood lately on the same chain.. a quick touch up and I’m back to make piles of chips.
    Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply. it sounds like a good approach for a quick touch up in the field.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    These are a great tool. Pferd makes them for stihl also. Obvious the blue ones are cheaper than the stihl branded one

Rosenbah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Springfield, OH
    All, Thanks so much, I ordered a Pferd for my Stihl 0.325 pitch 3/16 dia. Blue Pferd is about half the price of a Stihl branded one. I'll give you guys a review after I give it a try. I had a simple single file rig that was not very good and did not take material off the depth gauge. This should be better.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    All, Thanks so much, I ordered a Pferd for my Stihl 0.325 pitch 3/16 dia. Blue Pferd is about half the price of a Stihl branded one. I'll give you guys a review after I give it a try. I had a simple single file rig that was not very good and did not take material off the depth gauge. This should be better.
    I was in your shoes a couple years ago.. carry the pferd in the go to the woods box. Had a stihl to start with but the grandson lost it in the woods.. haven’t found it yet but it’s probably somewhere with the end of the chain I lost last week. Taking the metal detector out with leaf blower and maybe I will find it.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I was in your shoes a couple years ago.. carry the pferd in the go to the woods box. Had a stihl to start with but the grandson lost it in the woods.. haven’t found it yet but it’s with the end of the chain I lost last week. Taking the medal detector out with leaf blower and maybe I will find it.
    Sounds like my kid... Or me. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom