Not open for further replies.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    We pulled close to 300 stumps the week before last. Had to skip a few due to the size, so we will have those ground. I’ll post a pic tomorrow in the daylight.

How do you eat an elephant? One little bite at at a time.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    After the high winds this week, we went out long enough to check the cabin. No new trees down, we didn't get any splitting done.

Heading home we took the back roads through Putnam county to west Hendricks, the roads I cruised as a teenage. Here's one of my favorite 2am stops from back in the day. It's in amazing condition for 121 years old!
    023.jpg

024.jpg
    026.jpg

When you talk to a farmer about an old barn, he'll tell you "keep a good roof on it and it'll last for generations".

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I just bought a house with some land and it has a wood stove. If I cut/split some wood by the end of the month and stack/cover it, do you all think it would be seasoned enough by winter to use in the wood stove?

The house has a geothermal heating/cooling system which is kind of cool, but I’d like to save as much heating cost as possible (geothermal is basically an electric heat pump run indoors).

My fiancée broke up with me and told me to GTFO and I had to find a house quickly 2 months ago and probably paid a little more than I should have for my budget (like basically everyone else that’s bought a house recently).

With any luck, the house is closing on Monday and is currently livable, though very ‘dated’ and in need of renovation…so I was going to turn my energy to making sure my dog and I can stay warm this winter for as cheap as possible and worry about interior updates then.

I have recently acquired a second chainsaw (Stihl MS290 Farm Boss, same as my first, but with an 18” bar instead of the 16” I already have) and i cut firewood with my dad previously…though it was a long time ago now.

Any favorite safety videos or efficiency techniques I should brush up (hah, brush…pun) on before heading out to try and identify some good timber for cutting?

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated.

Making the best of a bad situation. I’m a country boy that was basically forced to live in the city for the past 25 years and now I’m just happy that I’ll be back out in the woods soon.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I just bought a house with some land and it has a wood stove. If I cut/split some wood by the end of the month and stack/cover it, do you all think it would be seasoned enough by winter to use in the wood stove?

The house has a geothermal heating/cooling system which is kind of cool, but I’d like to save as much heating cost as possible (geothermal is basically an electric heat pump run indoors).

My fiancée broke up with me and told me to GTFO and I had to find a house quickly 2 months ago and probably paid a little more than I should have for my budget (like basically everyone else that’s bought a house recently).

With any luck, the house is closing on Monday and is currently livable, though very ‘dated’ and in need of renovation…so I was going to turn my energy to making sure my dog and I can stay warm this winter for as cheap as possible and worry about interior updates then.

I have recently acquired a second chainsaw (Stihl MS290 Farm Boss, same as my first, but with an 18” bar instead of the 16” I already have) and i cut firewood with my dad previously…though it was a long time ago now.

Any favorite safety videos or efficiency techniques I should brush up (hah, brush…pun) on before heading out to try and identify some good timber for cutting?

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated.

Making the best of a bad situation. I’m a country boy that was basically forced to live in the city for the past 25 years and now I’m just happy that I’ll be back out in the woods soon.
    A moisture meter is your friend if you can't let it season for at least a full year. Splitting it and stacking it protected from the rain yet still getting good air flow MIGHT get you 20% or less moisture content...that's what I've read as what most woodburners recommend.

To properly test a load, grab a bigger piece from the pile and split it. Then test the fresh split surface in the middle of it's length.
    Obviously wood dries from the outside in, so just stabbing the outside of a random piece isn't gonna give you the truest reading.

Wood moisture meters

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    A moisture meter is your friend if you can't let it season for at least a full year. Splitting it and stacking it protected from the rain yet still getting good air flow MIGHT get you 20% or less moisture content...that's what I've read as what most woodburners recommend.

To properly test a load, grab a bigger piece from the pile and split it. Then test the fresh split surface in the middle of it's length.
    Obviously wood dries from the outside in, so just stabbing the outside of a random piece isn't gonna give you the truest reading.

Wood moisture meters
    Excellent advice! I never even knew these existed, to be honest.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    if you can find some standing dead the upper 2/3rds should be good by then. It is surprising how much water a dead tree will still absorb

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Get the wood stove and chimney professionally checked out. I have geothermal that only runs as AC in the summer as we heat only with wood.
    Who does one even contact for a service like this? I don’t know of any wood stove inspectors.

Would a chimney or stove place typically have someone on hand that could do that kind of work without trying to sell me something I don’t need?

I’ve been through two house fires in my life and lost everything I own each time. Better safe than sorry, for sure.

Goal is to run this house as lean as possible so I can concentrate on preparing for tough times ahead, but if I need a new chimney/stack, it is what it is.

House needs fresh shingles anyway because the roof is 30yrs old I think, so now would be the time to do it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Who does one even contact for a service like this? I don’t know of any wood stove inspectors.

Would a chimney or stove place typically have someone on hand that could do that kind of work without trying to sell me something I don’t need?

I’ve been through two house fires in my life and lost everything I own each time. Better safe than sorry, for sure.

Goal is to run this house as lean as possible so I can concentrate on preparing for tough times ahead, but if I need a new chimney/stack, it is what it is.

House needs fresh shingles anyway because the roof is 30yrs old I think, so now would be the time to do it.

A good chimney sweep company can do inspection and cleaning. An internet search will find a few wherever you are in the state. It's almost a must if you don't know the condition of the chimney and are planning to use wood heat. Critters can move in and there's always creosote.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Thornless? And neither black nor honey locust get very big.
    My Locust is thornless and I have a huge one in my front yard.

My poplars have nothing that looks like that, but they're tulip.

Edited because I may be turned around on which is which. The Locusts we had at the old place had huge thorns that were hell on lawnmower tires. This one here has no thorns.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom