• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A little long on the run time but working in the woods can be hard. And the sneks.

The gardener doesn't do snakes either which is unfortunant because her landscaping projects around the house have created excellent snake habitat. The "snake scream" sometimes combined with the "snake dance" tell me when there is one around that needs to be moved. A few years back I had to replace much of the electrical system on the splitter because mice and moved in. The snake at your place might be looking for mice in the splitter.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Went out today to look for fallen trees after the storms yesterday. Nothing new, but I can see I'll need to get to work on the saw tooth aspens that collapsed around the cemetery last year before they rot.. This time of year the woods smells like deodorant soap from all the multiflora rose.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Spent yesterday morning getting load. Good mix of elm, hard maple and ash. I was smoked. Definitely hot out. But rather get it done now

Attachments

• 20220704_112326.jpg
      20220704_112326.jpg
      877.7 KB · Views: 17

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I cut up a huge white oak that fell on my favorite deer stand. Used up two chains and everything I had to get it done. Temp got to 85 and humid while I worked.
    My place on Michigan has hundreds of dead oaks from two years of oak worms. If it was closer I'd give it away.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Trees getting bigger around these days, found a good Stihl 066 to get these taken care of.
    How did you find it and how far did you have to travel to get it?

There are 2 or 3 regulars on fb Marketplace that buy & sell used (and some new, how they get them I don't know) that I follow. Somehow I've convinced myself that I need a MS 462-CM with a 28" bar, but how I'm going to spend that money (north of $1300 these days new) for a tool that will sit 11-1/2 months of the year, I don't know. That said, if I decide that I must have one, I will be ringing up @bocefus78 for it.

We are so behind on our splitting for this winter. Plenty of product to process, just life distracting us from getting it done.

But firewooding season 2023 is shaping up to be a boon! Thanks to @yetti462, we have a logger that just finished painting trees for harvest. He is taking a mix of species, so we will have plenty of hardwoods left after they're done. And the cull and crowns they leave behind will make for decent firewood.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    How did you find it and how far did you have to travel to get it?

There are 2 or 3 regulars on fb Marketplace that buy & sell used (and some new, how they get them I don't know) that I follow. Somehow I've convinced myself that I need a MS 462-CM with a 28" bar, but how I'm going to spend that money (north of $1300 these days new) for a tool that will sit 11-1/2 months of the year, I don't know. That said, if I decide that I must have one, I will be ringing up @bocefus78 for it.

We are so behind on our splitting for this winter. Plenty of product to process, just life distracting us from getting it done.

But firewooding season 2023 is shaping up to be a boon! Thanks to @yetti462, we have a logger that just finished painting trees for harvest. He is taking a mix of species, so we will have plenty of hardwoods left after they're done. And the cull and crowns they leave behind will make for decent firewood.

Ohio, for the saw, I've been looking for a while. You're right about tools that just set, which is what this saw will do much of the time, but it's getting harder for me and the gardener to work longer periods of time as we get older so I'm looking at using equipment to get more done in a shorter time. When I can't do this stuff anymore, the equipment will be sold, just like the guns. The 066 seems to be a popular model.

Saws have an additional function here as "get out" tools like the tractor in the winter.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife was bugging me about refilling the woodshed just the other day. I STILL don't have a good source for wood. My "guy" is out of the business, and I've run out of family/friends with downed trees.

Do folks have any luck knocking on doors when you see a tree down on someone's property?

I need to make friends with someone in landscaping....

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Do folks have any luck knocking on doors when you see a tree down on someone's property?

I've thought about trying but think they'll not be receptive, or want money for me to relieve them of their problem.

As for the friend in landscaping -- Yes. Yes, you do.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    My wife was bugging me about refilling the woodshed just the other day. I STILL don't have a good source for wood. My "guy" is out of the business, and I've run out of family/friends with downed trees.

Recent wind storms in the area have left MUCH wood on the ground. Our city has a collection point. Most trucks are coming in full and mine leaves full.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Everyone stocked up for winter or do some prefer to wait for cooler weather? I cut my final load of what I need but will keep cutting through the winter. Usually break for deer season

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I need about 3 rows of firewood for a bad year. Been a busy year and I only stacked about 1/3 row and have about another 1/3 that needs splitting. But I have 5 rows left from last year in the shed and another outside. 2 of those are for a friend. I try to keep at least 1 year of wood extra for busy years like this. Have plenty of standing 5”-20” dead oak so drying is less of an issue. I rarely cut down a live tree.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We always restock the supply in the spring. If we cut anything at this point, it would be for next year. We like to let it dry for at least a season if possible. We got lucky this year. A neighbor had a farmer next to him taking out about 30 acres of woods. The farmer told him to take all he wanted because they were just burning it all. He and the hubby used a tractor with forks and grabbed as many tree trunks as they could haul over the property line. The neighbor's nephew then came over with a wood processor he bought, and cut and split it all in two days. We both heat with wood and both of our wood supplies were fully restocked in two days. We just had to stack it. The farmer didn't get finished this spring with that area so we should be able to do the same next spring. Best part of it was the neighbor called a log buyer in to buy several of the logs that they had set aside that were too nice to use for firewood. The log buyer bought every log they had set aside, and that paid for the wood processing.

We have a few big trees down from recent storms that we will need to cut up. There are a couple that are blocking our lane that goes around our property so those for sure will need to be sawed up and moved. Cooler days are coming.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    We always restock the supply in the spring. If we cut anything at this point, it would be for next year. We like to let it dry for at least a season if possible. We got lucky this year. A neighbor had a farmer next to him taking out about 30 acres of woods. The farmer told him to take all he wanted because they were just burning it all. He and the hubby used a tractor with forks and grabbed as many tree trunks as they could haul over the property line. The neighbor's nephew then came over with a wood processor he bought, and cut and split it all in two days. We both heat with wood and both of our wood supplies were fully restocked in two days. We just had to stack it. The farmer didn't get finished this spring with that area so we should be able to do the same next spring. Best part of it was the neighbor called a log buyer in to buy several of the logs that they had set aside that were too nice to use for firewood. The log buyer bought every log they had set aside, and that paid for the wood processing.

We have a few big trees down from recent storms that we will need to cut up. There are a couple that are blocking our lane that goes around our property so those for sure will need to be sawed up and moved. Cooler days are coming.
    Sounds like a nice windfall of trees.! I usually try and have all my wood cut by July. Just ran behind this year a little

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    a nearby friend's woods got hit hard by a storm this spring so we still cleaning it up and so we are ahead of the game
    2022 & 2023 are cut, split, and stacked
    2024 is all cut
    Way ahead of the curve! I like it

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom