• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    We heat our living room with a freestanding Blaze King Pegasus 9202 gas (propane) stove. Came home today and the pilot light was out. I figured it was probably an issue with the thermopile, and I had a spare one, so I replaced it. Same issue.

Did some more testing, and it turns out that both the thermopiles I have hit 300 mV under direct flame, which is supposed to be enough to trip the valve to stay on. With a meter on the leads, I go past 300 pretty quickly. When I have the leads tied into the valve, it takes much longer and never goes over 200. I'm thinking maybe the solenoid inside the valve is bad, but I just wanted to hit up the hive mind here and see if anyone has any experience or thoughts.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    We heat our living room with a freestanding Blaze King Pegasus 9202 gas (propane) stove. Came home today and the pilot light was out. I figured it was probably an issue with the thermopile, and I had a spare one, so I replaced it. Same issue.

Did some more testing, and it turns out that both the thermopiles I have hit 300 mV under direct flame, which is supposed to be enough to trip the valve to stay on. With a meter on the leads, I go past 300 pretty quickly. When I have the leads tied into the valve, it takes much longer and never goes over 200. I'm thinking maybe the solenoid inside the valve is bad, but I just wanted to hit up the hive mind here and see if anyone has any experience or thoughts.
    Calling @churchmouse

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

As with anything related to this it’s tough to diagnose over the inter webs.
    If I understand your trouble shooting the Mv drop off when you measure at the valve with heat on the Thermopiles. This could be a bad valve. But again diagnosed without putting eyes/hands on it could be misleading.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    As with anything related to this it’s tough to diagnose over the inter webs.
    If I understand your trouble shooting the Mv drop off when you measure at the valve with heat on the Thermopiles. This could be a bad valve. But again diagnosed without putting eyes/hands on it could be misleading.
    Hi Mr. Mouse. Hope you are managing the day.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

I've seen the circuit board on a couple gas valves have cracked solder joints. Not sure of what gas valve you have, but it might be worth checking the underside of the wire plug and see what it looks like.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Don't worry, I'm too lazy to put it back in just to take it back out when the new one arrives. :D I just want to take a look at the circuit board.
    The couple I fixed the circuit board was just under the plastic plug held on with a screw.
    Both were cracked around the pins for the wiring to plug into. Just solders it back up and it worked, didn't even have to remove the gas valve.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Update! I got the new valve a couple of days ago and finally got a chance to put it in tonight.

Unfortunately, it looks like the valve wasn't the problem. On the bright side, I didn't spend that much, and it was 30+ years old, so nice to have a spare.

There is a thermal cutout wired in series between the wire for the pilot magnet in the valve itself; when I did an ohm check on it cold it had zero continuity. Doh! On the bright side, I can run without it in the meantime and not throw money out the window on electric heat.

@DeadeyeChrista'sdad , you have anywhere I can look for replacement parts? My Google-Fu is falling short.

It's item 22 on page 24 of this doc:

I imagine any standard TCO would work, but they don't even list the specs as far as I can tell.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Update! I got the new valve a couple of days ago and finally got a chance to put it in tonight.

Unfortunately, it looks like the valve wasn't the problem. On the bright side, I didn't spend that much, and it was 30+ years old, so nice to have a spare.

There is a thermal cutout wired in series between the wire for the pilot magnet in the valve itself; when I did an ohm check on it cold it had zero continuity. Doh! On the bright side, I can run without it in the meantime and not throw money out the window on electric heat.

@DeadeyeChrista'sdad , you have anywhere I can look for replacement parts? My Google-Fu is falling short.

It's item 22 on page 24 of this doc:

I imagine any standard TCO would work, but they don't even list the specs as far as I can tell.
    TCO usually has a temp range on the piece.

Top Bottom