• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markz68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Connersville, IN
    Phatgemi, I am in the same situation. I live near Metamora as well an even though I am in Franklin county and am in the town of Brookville all the time it sounds like I have no say on the issue. Have you by chance talked to the owners of the new gun shop in town?
    Hell, if we could just get somebody in town to put it on the aggenda i would be glad to speak.

I am from the county next to Brookville. I met the owner of the gun shop before this ban. Seems like a nice guy. Spent a lot of time showing me guns and talking to me. Decent ammo prices too it seemed.

I do go to Brookville for work frequently, but I haven't started carrying yet.

lgdenham

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Brookville Ordinance No.6-2009

Hi All, I just wanted to let you all know all of Brookville is not just setting on their butts and doing nothing about the Town of Brookville, Ordinance No. 6-2009 . Last night I was one of just five people that showed up at the Brookville Town Council meeting. You may be right it looks like not many of the people in or around Brookville care about their 2nd amendment rights if they did they would standup for them. So I'm trying to do it for them but, more for myself because I like to thank that I have the right to carry my gun any time I choose to so and not have a hand full of nuts on a little town council take away that right that many good man has died for. So wake up out there and see what is going on and help get this stopped.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Although I'm not from Brookville or Franklin county, I frequent Brookville regularly. My daughter's former husband is a Brookville police officer. [He and I are still close friends after the divorce]. I'll quiz him on any in-sight on this BS and get back to you guys, hopefully yet this weekend.

lgdenham, check your PMs.

lgdenham

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Thank you, We need all the help we can get to stop these [FONT=&quot]STUPID DICTATING [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]nuts[/FONT][FONT=&quot].
    [/FONT]

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Crickets.

You said it.

I was looking for any one from Brookville in this thread when I ran across your comment. Crickets. I'm not in or from Brookville. I see Fischers, NWI, a bunch of other places and a comment something like "The people in Brookville don't seem to care."

Do any of you guys know the definition of a carpet bagger?

How would you like Brookvillians running in to your town meeting telling ya'all how stupid you are for not doing things the way they do in Brookville? Take a little of Ann Landers favorite advice and MYOFB. I see why there's threads full of people with all kinds of big stories about there big day open carrying their guns and educating the public every where they go and yet I pack my gun on my belt all over Bloomington, the mall, downtown, out the the strip mall by 37, Bedford, Orleans, Rushville or where ever and never draw the first comment in months of doing it.

I don't wear it like a sign saying I'm looking for an issue.

First of all nobody was going to go into Brookville and tell them how to run things. :rolleyes: But if they were willing to stand up for themselves we would STAND WITH THEM. I say again..... CRICKETS!

Your rant about not getting any comments when you carry has nothing to do with the thread, and nothing to do with my post. A city in the state I live in is ignoring state law and setting a dangerous precedent. That IS my business.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    That's part of the problem. How are we to know what is city property? Is all city property going to be posted? There is a very nice park in town that is frequently visited by fisherman from Indy, Cincy, and other areas. I am assuiming this is city property but I am not for sure. What about the parking lots off of main street? If i park there with a gun in my truck am I in violation?
    I have done some more reading on some other posts here regarding this. i will be calling the city attorney tomorrow and hopefully get some more information.

Hammond already doesn't allow firearms on city property, parks and park roads. So, how do I know whether or not a parkway near me is city owned? How do I find out whether or not the bike trials through Hammond are city owned? I used to ride my bike into a park in Munster. I have yet to find any Munster ordinance on firearms. However, IF bike trials in Hammond are city property then I can't carry while I ride them to the park, until I am in Munster.

It really is a confusing mess.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    A city in the state I live in is ignoring state law and setting a dangerous precedent. That IS my business.

They are not ignoring Indiana state law. Indiana state law **ALLOWS** any "government body" underneath the state level the ability to restrict firearms per the exception in RED below.

In essence the town's building (ie. police station, town hall, parks service, etc.) and/or parks fall under this rule only.

What needs to change is removing the excpetion from the law in order to have a smae rule across the board.

IC 35-47-11-2
    Regulation of firearms by units other than townships

Sec. 2. Notwithstanding IC 36-1-3, a unit may not regulate in any manner the ownership, possession, sale, transfer, or transportation of firearms (as defined in IC 35-47-1-5) or ammunition except as follows:
    (1) This chapter does not apply to land, buildings, or other real property owned or administered by a unit, except highways (as defined in IC 8-23-1-23) or public highways (as defined in IC 8-2.1-17-14).
    (2) Notwithstanding the limitation in this section, a unit may use the unit's planning and zoning powers under IC 36-7-4 to prohibit the sale of firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school by a person having a business that did not sell firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school before April 1, 1994.
    (3) Notwithstanding the limitation in this section, a legislative body of a unit other than a township may adopt an emergency ordinance or a unit other than a township may take other action allowed under section 6 of this chapter to regulate the sale of firearms anywhere within the unit for a period of not more than seventy-two (72) hours after the regulatory action takes effect.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.13.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Phatgemi, I am in the same situation. I live near Metamora as well an even though I am in Franklin county and am in the town of Brookville all the time it sounds like I have no say on the issue. Have you by chance talked to the owners of the new gun shop in town?
    Hell, if we could just get somebody in town to put it on the aggenda i would be glad to speak.

I have not had a chance to visit in person. I did send them an email and to date, have not had any response.

GunFaxdo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Chesterfield, Indian
    Brookville's town attorney told the NRA that if local residents will contact the town council and request a meeting on the issue, the ordinance may be revisited and repealed.

But first the locals have to be educated and motivated.

Brookville / Franklin County is served by the Brookville American-Democrat newspaper.

I would urge locals first, then out-of-towners next to write polite, informative, intelligent Letters to the Editor (not like the one already there titled "Stupid Act") to inform the local folks about the ban, its uselessness, and its negative effects.

To help you write those excellent letters, you can see the whole ordinance here on the NRA's ILA site, where you can also find contact info for the town council and its members.

The newspaper's opinion page is here.

Get cracking, folks!

signal6_911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is just rediculous....seems like every Government entity out there is trying to limit our constitutional right to bear arms. Yeah, I'm glad I can carry pretty much anywhere in the US, to an extent, but to limit law abiding citizens from carrying in their own town...that's totally insane!

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I wonder what would happen if there were to be a local ordinance enacted that made it illegal to shop on Saturdays after 5:00 PM because a town wanted to keep out the riff-raff... Just a thought...

INGunGuy

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    An update on the Brookville Ordinance. I was finally off work yesterday and was able to attend the Town council meeting last night. In addition to the council, there were approximately 10 other people in attendence. A large portion of their meeting time was addressing whether or not to allow golf carts on city streets. Two people left the meeting after turning in a petition to endorse the golf cart ordinance.

They then opened the floor for discussion of ordinance 6. The town attorney was present but really didn't offer much to the discussions. The council didn't/wouldn't address what was the driving factor behind the origination of the ordinance. Of the 8 people remaining, 6 spoke against the ordinance and the remaining 2 (older couple) spoke in support of the ordinance. They (older couple) felt that it was good the town follows the lead of the national and state parks in prohibiting guns. They wouldn't believe when told that you could in fact carry in either. Not sure the council believed it either. In summation, I feel we may be able to get this amended if not overturned. Hopefully we can keep the pressure on them. It will take people getting involved. :):

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Just for everyone's info, the Brookville town council will be meeting tomorrow (01/12) at 7 PM. Need to have anyone that can attend so that we can at least raise this issue with them again. I will be there. If we keep quiet, nothing will change.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    I live in Metamora also but Im in Brookville a lot. What happened ath the recent meeting? Also, does anyone know who was behind this new law, the solution is to vote them out

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I live in Metamora also but Im in Brookville a lot. What happened ath the recent meeting? Also, does anyone know who was behind this new law, the solution is to vote them out

Not much happened. Officially, it's still under advisement. I did find out that the county park (fairgrounds) has the same ordinance in effect. I was not aware of that and am checking on it. Might have to ask the commissioners about it. For some reason, many of the sheeple are operating under the assumption that it's good for our local parks to follow in line with state and national parks!!!! They don't believe it when you tell them that ltch holders most certainly can carry in state parks and will be able to carry in the national parks next month..

To answer your next question, I cannot guarantee it but I have been told that Renee Stivers and Daryl Flaspholer are the one's behind the gun ban. They need to be voted out not only for this reason but others as well if you ever follow county politics. Unfortunately only town residents can vote for town council and you know how the "good ole boys" net works.

One thing for certain is we need more people to show up at meetings!!!!! One or two occasionally won't do the job.

Top Bottom