• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    If the current printing on the website is correct... the conference committee didn't accomplish anything, they just forced through the House's version.

Of course that is typically how it goes... those who added a bunch of exceptions by amending the heck out of it don't really want it to pass anyway, so they aren't going to negotiate on those amendments because they could care less if the bill dies. So those fighting to preserve the intent of the bill (like Senator Tomes) don't have any bargaining power.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    If the current printing on the website is correct... the conference committee didn't accomplish anything, they just forced through the House's version.

Of course that is typically how it goes... those who added a bunch of exceptions by amending the heck out of it don't really want it to pass anyway, so they aren't going to negotiate on those amendments because they could care less if the bill dies. So those fighting to preserve the intent of the bill (like Senator Tomes) don't have any bargaining power.

Actually, the conference committee straightened things out and got a much better version of the bill passed through. Read this thread starting here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...egislative_session_finally-7.html#post1850404

Basically, the preemption kills all the local ordinances, allows courts to restrict carry, keeps local gov from enacting local ordinances or even keeping LTCH holders from carrying in buildings, even with metal detectors. Unfortunately makes CC at "public meetings" (a vague and open description) required and allows public events (i.e. Colt's games, since they moaned the loudest) to make no carry rules. It also makes it possible for people "damaged" by the ordinances or any attempt at a future restriction able to sue and receive damages.

There's more to it, but the link T.Lex provided is the whole final report that was adopted and is ready to be enacted and sent to the Governor. Read the rest of that thread to find out other's views on what it means.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Also of interest was an article in this week's local paper (Brookville Democrat).

Bill could end BTC gun ban

I was not aware that Johnny Nugent was one of the author's of the bill. In any case it might be interesting to attend some of the upcoming Brookville town council meetings to see their reaction to sb 292.

:)

garyindiane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Bright, Dearborn County
    Also of interest was an article in this week's local paper (Brookville Democrat).

Bill could end BTC gun ban

I was not aware that Johnny Nugent was one of the author's of the bill. In any case it might be interesting to attend some of the upcoming Brookville town council meetings to see their reaction to sb 292.

:)

There was some nice quotes from Nugent in that article.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Well now that the governor has signed SB 292.......We'll see how town council reacts.........It's law now and effective soon!!!:D

Where did you read he signed it? in.gov/legislative still doesn't show it.

Not that I have any doubts he will sign it.

Nevermind... the email about it was right under the notification of your post in my email

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I still can't find any links to where the Gov. signed it. I've been looking for 1/2 an hour.

Click here: Governor Daniels: 2011 Bill Watch

:wavey:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Top Bottom