• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So my brother wants to be a firefighter. Hes having a little trouble getting into EMT classes because the hours he works. Does anyone know of an EMT class in the morning times? Also does he need this or can he just apply, get hired then get his training through the department. Any advice would be great.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Lexington, Brownsburg, Pike township, Wayne township, Decatur township, and Beach Grove, are all going to be hiring. NONE of them require you to be an EMT.

Most professional fire departments that offer only full time employment only require a clean background, HS diploma or GED, and a valid drivers license. Must be 21 or over to be full time.

Getting the EMT cert first is great and might help just a tiny small smidgeon to a professional department but its not necessary.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I suggest joining a volunteer dept... Gets you the basic classes (usually for free). I just finished up my classes. That was Firefighter 1, Firefighter 2, HAZ-MAT Awareness, and Tech Rescue Awareness. Im going to go for my EMT next...

Does he have any experience?

Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No he does not have any experience in public safety. He has always worked construction. I think we got a little bummed, he emailed someone with IFD and they told him he needed to have his EMT-b and FF-1,2 before they would look at him for employment.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    Who did he contact in IFD because that is not the case. I am going to be in the next recruit class for IFD and I have no previous firefighting experience. I have some college and have worked at a factory my entire work experience.

They also do not take any outside EMT certs and every recruit goes through the IFD EMT training.

Hope that helps.

newbomb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    southwest indiana
    There are a few dept’s that require prior training. Usually small career departments like the one I'm on. We have hired zero experience guys in the past though. This next recruit process we have in the fall we will ask that they have first responder or higher, ff1&2 and at least hazmat ops.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    No he does not have any experience in public safety. He has always worked construction. I think we got a little bummed, he emailed someone with IFD and they told him he needed to have his EMT-b and FF-1,2 before they would look at him for employment.

I work for IFD at station 42, I can assure you this is DEFINATLY not the case.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Who did he contact in IFD because that is not the case. I am going to be in the next recruit class for IFD and I have no previous firefighting experience. I have some college and have worked at a factory my entire work experience.

They also do not take any outside EMT certs and every recruit goes through the IFD EMT training.

Hope that helps.

Welcome, I look forward to having you come through the firehouse as a probie so we can talk guns!

I like my coffee strong BTW.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    My advice coming from some who spent 15 years in the fire service as both a volunteer and paid FF is to join a volunteer department to get the training like his FF 1 &2 and other classes along with his EMT or at the very least his First Responders Cert....This will also give him a chance to see if he will like this line of work because it's not for everyone. Best of luck to him!

Here is a couple of link to help him get more info and find training

IDHS: Indiana Firefighter Training System

http://www.indianafiretraining.com/

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Is there any other way to drink coffee?

You will soon find out.

Just a heads up, the orange handled pot at station 27 is strictly decaff only. they get pretty testy when you don't realize this and put full throttle coffee in it, getting them amped up, and sending their blood pressures sky high. Ask me how I know. I still haven't lived that one down and that was 4 years ago.

Top Bottom