• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Over the past few weeks I've been stopping into local (Fort Wayne) pawn shops looking for firearms, and of the four I've visited I haven't found any with anything worth mentioning--three had none at all and one had a single lonely rifle of some sort. At one of them, I asked if they ever had any in and they said that they don'r carry guns any more.

Is this a trend throughout the state now? And if not, does anyone have any suggestions as to pawn shops in the NE IN area that are worth checking out?

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Most of the big chain pawn shops in Indy area use to sell them but now they all send them to be sold online at auction! Some of the small independents still sell them here in Indy.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I bought a 22 at a pawnshop in richmond. They had a lot of guns for sale. I think that it depends on the shop and the manager. If the manager doesn't know or like guns. I don't think that they buy many. The manager of the shop in Richmond was a gun guy, so i think that he had no problems buying and selling them. Seemed to know his stuff.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    RamZ exchange in Lafayette still sells firearms...I believe. (Greenbush & 18th-ish, I think)

As does West Side Pawn / Loan in Indy (10th & Alton)

-J-

seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    Thanks DKSComp for the address. A friend told me that there is one in Muncie in an area called "five points" but I don't know the name or address. Maybe one of the Muncie members knows. He got a .22 there.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    It doesn't sound like there are too many options up here. It looks like I'll have to set aside a little time to check out the shops in Indy the next time I visit my sister.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    now they all send them to be sold online at auction!
    Yeah, lets face it, people pay WAY too much at auctions. I guess its the adrenaline rush of bidding that blinds them to the fact that they're screwing themselves.

Recently I watched a very used Ruger 22/45 MKII sell at auction for $500+. Sure, they don't them anymore, but you can buy them nearly NIB on gunbroker for around $400, and even that is high. You buy a brand new similar MKIII model for $330. I just don't get it.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I think one thing that hinders selection at pawn shops is that it is illegal to use a handgun as collateral on a loan in Indiana:

IC 35-47-4-2
    Loans secured by handguns
    Sec. 2. A person who makes a loan secured by a:
    (1) mortgage;
    (2) deposit; or
    (3) pledge;
    of a handgun commits a Class B misdemeanor.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I think one thing that hinders selection at pawn shops is that it is illegal to use a handgun as collateral on a loan in Indiana:
    +1 I worked at a pawn shop antil about 6 months ago and pistols were hard to come by since alot of people wanted to hang onto them due to the current political situation. At our shop the loans are what keeps you afloat not guns so alot of shops opted of of guns if favor of others items that seem more sellably secure. THe pawn industry is in the crosshairs of the libs now. I have not checked up on how the bill that would essentially end pawn shops is doing in Congress, hopefully it does not or has not passed.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    ^^^ Lafayette does have them at AtoZ by market square. Its been a while since I've seen one in at a pawn shop in indy

You should try Ram-Z Exchange. They have a decent selection and what they have is generally pretty nice.

I bought a S&W 19-2 that was pinned and recessed with a target hammer and trigger there unfired in the box for $300.

It was the score of the decade.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Five Points is at, duh... five points! I know. That's not fair if you don't know, but I'm a smart arse sometimes...
    Actually it's called Prairie Creek Pawn. It's at 701 S. Burlington in Muncie. It is at a 5 way intersection, all stopsigns, so be careful.
    Owner seems to be an ok guy, but don't know him.
    I used to buy model 60's from Alan's in Anderson, fix them up, clean them up, and sell them for a hobby. Don't even know if they handle firearms anymore.
    There is a little Pawnshop on Wheeling in Muncie, Muncie Pawnbrokers, 1601 N Wheeling, had several nice pieces last time I was in there.

Top Bottom