• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matthewquigley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Ok, I was in Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka, told them the same story as i posted here. I was told that there's a conflict in federal and state law. It would be perfectly legal to sell to a 19 year old in Indiana if not for the federal law prohibiting minors from buying handguns. I was told that I could sell to the 19 year old's dad and then he could gift it to his son.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ok, I was in Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka, told them the same story as i posted here. I was told that there's a conflict in federal and state law. It would be perfectly legal to sell to a 19 year old in Indiana if not for the federal law prohibiting minors from buying handguns. I was told that I could sell to the 19 year old's dad and then he could gift it to his son.

The dealer told you the dealer's rules as he is bound by the laws applicable to an FFL.

As a private FTF transaction with no FFL involved, you can most certainly sell to the 19 year old directly. I believe I quoted Indiana law earlier in the thread.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    WebSnyper is correct. An FFL (such as Midwest Gun Exchange) may not sell to a 19 year old... but a private individual (such as yourself) can. Provided he is a proper person (not a felon, not a non-resident, etc.).

matthewquigley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Thanks for all the great advice. As it turns out I wound up selling the gun to a good friend of mine. Age was no issue as he's in his 60s! lol.

Top Bottom