• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matthewquigley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Ok, my son's 19 year old friend already has his CCL. He wants to buy our Smith Sigma 40. His dad is ok with it. Am I wrong or can his father buy it for him? This isn't considered a straw purchase is it? We will do the transfer through a local gun store. Any one have any ideas on this? Any idea how much shops charge for doing the transfer? Thanks!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Private transfers between legal parties are legal in IN.

19 years old = he can buy it from you himself. No need to involve an FFL unless you just want to for piece of mind.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    But he can't legally purchase it himself can he? Doesn't it require someone buying it for him?

At 19 he can purchase it himself in a FTF private transaction.

He cannot buy it from an FFL/dealer at that age, but he can make a private purchase.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch2.html

IC 35-47-2-7
    Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.

Last edited:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Let's back up a little here. Since he has his CCL and the OP does not mention what state this is in, let's figure that out first. Is this in Indiana?

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Federal law states that an individual must be 21 to purchase from a licensed dealer. So if he wants to buy from a gun shop he needs to be 21. However, in Indiana if he wants to purchase a gun in a private transaction, he needs only be 18. All of my handguns I bought before 21 in private transactions.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    He is 19 = he can legally purchase from a private party himself.

CCL = That's not an Indiana thing, so what state are the two of you in?

Yes, his father can buy it from you and give it to him as a gift.

No, that is not a "straw purchase". That is when a gun is bought for someone that cannot otherwise buy it themselves (a prohibited person).

If you are doing the transfer through a local shop (why, I would know), then there are different rules. The Feds require licensed dealers to run the Form 4473, which he would need to be 21 to fill out.

His father could STILL fill out the 4473, buy the gun, and gift it to his son.

I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a transfer.

Assuming you and the buyer are both over 18 and both Indiana residents (in Indiana), just exchange $$$ for the gun and be done with it. Doesn't have to be complicated.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    As long as you don't suspect that the friend is a felon or otherwise not allowed to own a firearm, and he is a resident of the state of Indiana, sell it to him. Perfectly legal. Happens all the time.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Federal law states that an individual must be 21 to purchase from a licensed dealer. So if he wants to buy from a gun shop he needs to be 21. However, in Indiana if he wants to purchase a gun in a private transaction, he needs only be 18. All of my handguns I bought before 21 in private transactions.

This is 100% correct. There is no need to waste time or money with a transfer (as long as you are confident that he is a "proper person" according to Indiana Law--18 years old, no felonies, domestic battery convictions, and not found mentally deficient by a court). The fact that he has his CCW should make you confident that he is a "proper person.'

As a side note, parents are allowed to purchase firearms for their children. This is not a straw purchase.

SW.Ecks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    LaPorte
    Wait so as long as both parties are legal, all you have to do is exchange money and the handgun? What happens if something happens to where the police have to run the serial and it comes back to the original owner?

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Wait so as long as both parties are legal, all you have to do is exchange money and the handgun? What happens if something happens to where the police have to run the serial and it comes back to the original owner?

You tell them who you sold it to. Personally when selling any weapon, I would recommend drafting a little bill of sale complete with the serial, their confirmation that they aren't legally prohibited from owning the firearm in question, and their signature.

Also, just to clarify it's "if both parties are otherwise legal to own the weapon in question AND both residents of Indiana." If you're dealing with a resident outside of Indiana then it's Interstate Commerce and you need to run it through an FFL.

Basically, yes I can sell a gun to my otherwise legal neighbor without going through an FFL.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Nothing.

You tell them who you sold it to.
    Considerate...but not required.
    "Sold it to a guy at a swap meet...didn't catch the name" works, too.

I would recommend drafting a little bill of sale
    A good "recommendation", but again...not by any means a mandatory thing. :)

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    The only way a serial number "being ran" "comes back to the original owner" is if the original owner reported it stolen an gave the serial number to the police when filing the complaint.

There is no such thing as "gun registration" nor any law that requires it. 4473 are suppose to be destroyed by the FFL/Dealer after a certain period of time. However their bound book which has the same info in it and is required by the BATFE is a matter of record.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The only way a serial number "being ran" "comes back to the original owner" is if the original owner reported it stolen an gave the serial number to the police when filing the complaint.

There is no such thing as "gun registration" nor any law that requires it. 4473 are suppose to be destroyed by the FFL/Dealer after a certain period of time. However their bound book which has the same info in it and is required by the BATFE is a matter of record.

Law enforcement can contact the manufacturer, which in turn provides the distributor that the gun went to, which in turn can provide the dealer that the gun went to, which then can provide the original purchaser.

So while no registration, it is not impossible for it to be tracked at least to the original 4473 purchaser.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Search goes like;

Manufacturer>

Distributor/wholesaler>

Retailer/FFL>

Individual >

Top Bottom