• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    South Bend
    February 11th 2012, Kodiak Firing Range & Training Facility, Inc will be hosting a Firearm Retention (FAR) Course by Pemberton Combatives. Subjects will include Awareness, Use of Force, Firearm Concealment/Open Carry, Safety and Various Firearm Retention Techniques.

Start Time:
    9am

Length
    8-10hours (One hour will be given for lunch)

Cost:
    $55 for course (Non-Shooting Course) NO LIVE AMMUNITION OR FIREARMS IN THE CLASS ROOM!

Rentals
    -$10 Includes Training Gun, Holster, and Work Gloves

Class Size:

Requirements:

· One pair work Gloves
    · Training Gun (same model as carry firearm preferred), Air Soft Replica or Training Barrel (blue magazine optional)-Rentals Available.
    · Holster with Strong Belt
    · Protective Cup (optional)
    · Note Pad with Pen or pencil

www.pembertoncombatives.com

For more information please email me at john@pembertoncombatives.com.​

To sign up for the course visit or call Kodiak Firing Range & Training Facility, Inc at (574)299-8000 Monday thru Saturday 9am to 9pm and Sunday 10am to 6pm

All Major Credit Cards Accepted

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I would love to take this class. Unfortunately, that is the same day that my wife, sister and brother in law are taking a basic pistol class in Warsaw, and I will be watching 6 kids while they are training. Thanks for putting this class together John. I'll have to catch it next time.

JohnnyP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    South Bend
    Great for both Open Carry and Concealed Carry

This course is designed for both concealed and open carry. Some of the techinques we will teach will be specific to situations where you have decided to draw your pistol and your attacker tries to prevent you from doing so, and then situations where you have drawn your firearm and an attacker tries to disarm you. Firearm Retention is having the ability to keep your firearm not only in your holster but also in your control both before and after you have drawn.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How did this turn into OC vs CC?

:evilangel:

It was esrice, wasn't it?

I didn't mean to. :dunno:

My post wasn't to suggest that the course isn't suitable or important for CCers. I was just suggesting that retention is especially important for OCers, and therefore this would be an excellent course to take. I like to see folks backup their carry style with training-- no matter what their preference is.

I CC and I'm taking a firearms retention and combatives course later this year. :dunno:

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Back on point John has been showing me some of the techniques he will be teaching very good stuff! I can't/won't give specifics but if you ask him in PM or in the this thread he might share.

JohnnyP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    South Bend
    Course Outline

Here is the course outline to give everyone an idea what will be taught in the course.

Class Room Topics Include

· Awareness
    · Continuum of Defense© (Use of Force)
    · Distance
    · Mindset
    · CC Vs OC

Empty-Hand Techniques
    · Front- In Holster
    · Front- Attempt Draw & Out of Holster
    · Gun Side/Support Side
    · Rear – In Holster
    · Rear – Attempted/ Out of Holster
    · Rear – Disarm

Support Weapon Techniques
    · Front – Weapon
    · Gun Side/Support Side – Weapon
    · Rear- Weapon
    · Weapon Types

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Weapon Retention training is a must for anyone who carries a gun. A lot of folks trot out the 'that's why I carry concealed' line when the topic comes up. Statements like that speak to a grave misunderstanding of the nature of criminal assaults.

Most attacks happen at close range and are predicated by verbal interaction and, often, an unarmed component. With folks that carry concealed, the first awareness of the presence of a gun by the bad guy is after physical contact has been made. In the mad scrabble following that initial crash of bodies, a hand finds a gun and the 'fight over the gun' starts in earnest!

I know everyone would like to be aware, see the problem coming, have a gun in hand first, etc, but, I don't know about you, but I can't count on being that lucky. ;)

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    The class was pretty interesting. It showed me different ways to deal with potential situations, and how they may or may not work. The class was fun, and with good people. Looking forward to more at Kodiak.

Top Bottom