• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    Do any of you frequent them? I mean when they actually had them on site. I like to go when an Estate sells. I don't like to bid online unless I have laid eyes and hands on them. I am a Serial Firearm Fondler, and man enough to admit it. They might even have me on facial recognition security watch.

If you go, or have been, you know that it seems to be a sellers market. Not that the seller will get the full benefit. I like Christy's Auction in Southport, but they have gone and may remain on-line only. They do a lot of work for the advertising, cataloging and sale of all Estates as well as firearms Estate and transfer work. With that being said, the seller ends up with about 40% less the actual value of the weapon. The buyer ends up paying the value, plus tax. At an auction, to me, is the best place to wring out actual value. Guys like us can get online later and see how much they brought. If Christy's and other auction houses remain on-line only, what will be the benefit of even being a real auctioneer? Anybody with a garage, camera and internet connection can be an "Auctioneer" The faithful that showed up every Wednesday wanted to support their business, but they started making so much more money with less effort, I doubt they would go back to on-site. I hope they do, then I will quit my one man boycott.

I have to digress. This started out to be about me passing on that "past auctions", on many auction websites, is a pretty descent place to see ball-park figures on weapon value. Plus, I wanted to have people think ahead to the final disposition of your gun collections. Sell 'em while you can, if you find you don't need some. If not, I've seen too many families sell them for 60cents on the dollar. I hate to see that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I liked going to the auctions at Christy's too, but never understood why they have them on Wednesdays. Seems like they'd get a much higher turnout if they did them on the weekends.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    I slowed down with COVID and the mask wearing fiasco. But generally attend several a year.

I do enjoy them, One goes twice its value. The next, half its value. It's just plain fun to watch.

If it's a good deal, I'll buy it, even if I don't have a particular interest in that model. You can always sale or trade later.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I slowed down with COVID and the mask wearing fiasco. But generally attend several a year.

I do enjoy them, One goes twice its value. The next, half its value. It's just plain fun to watch.

If it's a good deal, I'll buy it, even if I don't have a particular interest in that model. You can always sale or trade later.
    How do you find the physical auctions to go to?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Top Bottom