• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    About time someone went after some of the outrageous farm subsidies out there. It's not much, but it is a start. Of course, the republicrats and some of their dem buddies will likely be against it to protect their ADM money.

Obama wants to end $5 billion a year US farm subsidy - Yahoo! News

Agree 100%. Stop all welfare. If farmers can't farm profitably they should do something else. It's called survival of the fittest, and government never does anything but postpone an inevitable.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    If they cut the INSANE EPA restrictions and land use restrictions then I can go along with it. You can't blanket cut programs that the gov't has forced businessmen to play a game for the last 30 years.

Don't get me wrong the subs. have to go but you leave the penalties in place then you drive these guys out of business.

You can't totally blame the farmers,

I'm telling you I'm a 40+ hours a week and haven't ever taken a gov't hand out but they are backing me in a corner. You tell me of a program that I can start getting me some handouts and I'm in, I'm tired of driving by people sitting on the porch morning and night while I go and come from work

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    As long as they get rid of the Dept of Agriculture's R&D division too.
    A few years ago the USDA gave one of the big seed companies millions to help them develop a corn plant that would produce sterile seeds. The purpose? To make the farmers buy seed every year instead of holding some back for next year.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    If they cut the INSANE EPA restrictions and land use restrictions then I can go along with it. You can't blanket cut programs that the gov't has forced businessmen to play a game for the last 30 years.

You're right. The EPA makes my dad spend time and money pressure-washing his sprayer before driving 3 miles down the road to another piece of property to spray it. IIRC they were trying to make them drain and purge the tanks too, but that didn't go so well for the EPA.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    then let the grain be bought & sold at the stock market like they let oil, no more price control , let the farmers earn more than it takes to plant & harvest. Arabs have Opec, We'll have Foodpec
    About time someone went after some of the outrageous farm subsidies out there. It's not much, but it is a start. Of course, the republicrats and some of their dem buddies will likely be against it to protect their ADM money.

Obama wants to end $5 billion a year US farm subsidy - Yahoo! News

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    He also signed an executive order which will allow the Federal Government to nationalize the farms and take them over. Shades of Hitlers Germany and Stalins Russia.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    then let the grain be bought & sold at the stock market like they let oil, no more price control , let the farmers earn more than it takes to plant & harvest. Arabs have Opec, We'll have Foodpec
    Ummm...grains are bought and sold on the stock market. That's why the price changes multiple times a day. Try listening to a country station sometimes. They have the grain reports a few times a day.

Folks who argue against stopping the teat sucking are not doing the farmers or the country any favours. Big ag are major beneficiaries of these subsidies, as well as a number of politicians who haven't actually farmed in decades. It's long past the time that subsidies were ended, across the board.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I will say, however, that the idea of gutting the crop insurance program is a bad idea and will kill whatever is left of family farms.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    As long as they get rid of the Dept of Agriculture's R&D division too.
    A few years ago the USDA gave one of the big seed companies millions to help them develop a corn plant that would produce sterile seeds. The purpose? To make the farmers buy seed every year instead of holding some back for next year.

10 bucks says it was "Monsanto"

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Grain Company patents are another item that I think is misunderstood. the new seed strains produce more than non-engineered seeds, it took massive amounts of money to develop them.

I look at it as the same as a patent on a new computer chip, or auto engine Ect. None of your other patented items self replicate, and the cost of the seed must be in line with the profit margins or farmers would not have bought them, Yes it is a loop that will be hard to get out of and impossible if all farmers don't boycott patented seeds at the same time.

It is not a simple big mean seed company against little farmer. I work in research and development and unless you've been attached to the process you don't understand how much money is poured into a new product and how much to keep a current product alive. That has to be built into the cost of the product.

American business has got mean and nasty thats no lie, and each company fights for money so they can overpay CEO's and the greed is eating up america

Eli Lily patents a drug and little companies cry because they don't have the millions it takes to develop the drug and then cry because they can't start making it and jump in on the profits from it.

But it costs obscene amounts of money to comply with the Gov't reg's.

There is not an easy answer because without "some reasonable" reg's companies would put out products that do harm and would get away with it because they could lawyer you to death.

All I'm really saying is we didn't get here in one big jump and we can't get out in one big jump if we want society to continue as it is.

Now if we just remove every law all the way back to 1950 and take the maelstrom of events that would follow then we can get back to reasonable life but the trip from here to there would be rough

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    He also signed an executive order which will allow the Federal Government to nationalize the farms and take them over. Shades of Hitlers Germany and Stalins Russia.

If you control the food supply, you control the people. Obongo is all about total control.

Do you have a link to the that EO? They are posted after they're signed.

Help us out here caneman. Some of us would like to know more about this executive order you've posted about.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Do you have a link to the that EO? They are posted after they're signed.

Help us out here caneman. Some of us would like to know more about this executive order you've posted about.

fo shizzle. I though the food safety bill was bad.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I would love to see a great deal of de-governmenting (deregulation, defunding, etc) of agriculture. I hope this (as yet merely proposed) reduction in subsidies creates a call for some serious reductions in control as well.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    @x10, I have no problem with seed companies having patents and other protection for their products. What burned me about that particular situation was the company was specifically developing sterile corn, and we were paying for the R & D without any roi.
    From a humanitarian pov, how does a sterile corn plant help a developing country feed themselves? From a taxpayer's point of view, why am I subsidizing the seed companies? From a conservative point of view, why are the feds involved with farms at all?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom