• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Maybe some of these land owners should seek out eager hunters to help minimize the damage. I am not a big hunter, but I could go for a few wild hogs in my freezer. Half a hog at my local processor was $165 last time I checked. I'd definitely be willing to spend a weekend filling up the deep freeze with some pork chops.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I've actually been hog hunting in southern Indiana.

I was stupid enough to pack a 44 mag on my belt, and a 30 cal rifle in my arms. It was a miserable 10 hours walking back and forth accross the switch-backs, up and down ridge lines, and through creek beds.

When I finally had a chance to pop a pig, I couldnt get my heavy 30 cal rifle up and on target quick enough. Dont be dumb like me - pack light. The hogs I saw were all 100 pounds and under.

Not only would a 22-250 be sufficient, something like that with a flat trajectory would reduce the guess work needed for making shots accross the extreemly varried geography.

Next time I go, the hand cannon is staying at home. So is the 9lb Enfield. The Carcano carbine is only 6 lbs with the bayonet mounted - much more appropriate.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    while on the topic of hogs has anyone seen any in Ripley county? More specifically in the Milan area? We have friends done there that im sure would let me shoot one on their property.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hadn't really considered caliber... would a 30/30 be sufficient? How about a 22/250?

those would be adequate, but I'd prefer to keep it close or above .30 cal.
    308 is just about perfect for hogs. Remember they can be thick and feisty. With a good shot, any caliber *could* work, but I'd like to know that mine had a little bit of forgiveness if I didn't' land the perfect shot.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Didn't read the article but saw the Medora incident on the news this week. IDNR has confirmed the pigs came from a farm a couple hundred yards down the road with an incredibly poor excuse for a fence. I guess the donkeys roaming around wouldn't have made the news and got half the state all excited about "heading south".

It's an interesting time in this "wild hog" phase, the whole area is buzzing about it. I killed several coyotes Saturday morning and was hustling to another stand when I came across 4 guys with 20 hounds getting setup for a hunt. Curiosity got the best of me so I went back and visited with them, they were chasing pigs (with permission). Had a good visit with them and learned a few things, but I'd killed too much time and the wind had shifted so my coyote hunting was finished. Since coyote season is closing and I had half-a-dozen coyotes stacked up I figured it'd be a good time to stop in and revisit some landowners. That's when I started getting another version of this whole "hog craze".

To put it lightly, everybody and their brother thinks landowners are desperate for someone to come in and save them from the POTENTIAL threat of a handful of pigs. Most of these guys have rifles, all of them have kinfolk willing & able to hunt a pig, so it was comical to hear some of their stories about out-of-towner's willing to "help them out". One lively fella', who'd probably prefer I attach his full name to this quote (LOL!), said "If one more a$$hat comes up that driveway with a Carmel accent talking about pigs I'm going to kill him!" I guess I'll wait until the crops are up good before I try to get my coyote permissions locked up again.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Didn't know Carmel had it's own accent? Yeah I laugh when I hear people say they wish feral hogs would come to Indiana. They seem to think it's easy hunting these pigs, like they'd be standing around just waiting to be shot. Texas has one of the biggest population of pigs and it's not easy to hunt these wild pigs (well if you go to one of those preserves where the pigs know the feeding schedule it's easy).

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Anybody North of SR 46 has their own accent. The farther south you go the farther the line goes. we tend to get our share of slob hunters here. Either it has gotten a little better or I just don't recognize it as much since quitting deer hunting.
    Short story is I get where the landowner is coming from.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im not sure most of us northerners understand the damage they can do when they wish they were here. I want them to stay as far away as possible but if they are in the area around our friends property I will take advantage of free bacon.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Next time I go, the hand cannon is staying at home. So is the 9lb Enfield. The Carcano carbine is only 6 lbs with the bayonet mounted - much more appropriate.

This sounds like a good reason to get myself in gear working on my Krag carbine project, which is under construction and when finished will be much lighter than my M1A.

Top Bottom