• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Just throwing this out there for anyone looking for cheap reliable ammo. I prefer Federal Walmart ammo for plinking or hitting the range with my pistol. It has always fired cleaner the WWB for me and I have not had 1 FTF. It is a lot cheaper than any other ammo I've seen and good.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    Just throwing this out there for anyone looking for cheap reliable ammo. I prefer Federal Walmart ammo for plinking or hitting the range with my pistol. It has always fired cleaner the WWB for me and I have not had 1 FTF. It is a lot cheaper than any other ammo I've seen and good.
    The 9mm works great in my XDM and the .45 in my 1911. My Marlin 795 however, does NOT like the .22 Federal 550 bulk.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I've had good luck as well with the exception that I have 1 where the case has a hole in it and 1 where the primer was pressed in sideways. Hung on to them as souvenirs. Just haven't had time to E-Mail Federal with the lot number. Always inspect the primers as u load the mags.

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    All the .22's I shoot(Savage MkII,Ruger 22/45,Remington 511,and Winchester 69) all really like the 550 bulk from Wally...........good groups,no FTF,and one dud per roughly 2 boxes(on average)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    In respect to this post, you might find the following observation from two of our instructors interesting.
    Just FYI……

Chris Upchurch and I tried some different types of cheap 115 gr practice ammo at 50 yards on Saturday. I used my RMR Glock 19 and a B-27 target with a folded piece of white letter paper in the middle to provide a consistent aiming point.

Using the bench and a sand bag as a rest, I was able to consistently keep my carry ammo (Winchester Ranger 124 gr. +P) inside the 9-ring of the B-27 target with most on the 4 ¼” x 5” piece of paper. When I switched to the cheap practice ammo, however, it was a different story. The only practice ammo I was able to replicate this performance with was the Russian steel case ammo Chris provided (Wolf). The American-made brass case ammo (WWB, Federal and American Eagle brands) didn’t do nearly as well.

It could, of course, have been me or the combination of my particular gun and ammo, but I thought I’d post it here as food for thought.

Chris' response.
    Frankly, this surprised the hell out of me. I've done some long range shooting with my RMRed G17, and didn't detect much variation in accuracy between my carry load (Cor-Bon DPX 115gr +P) and my practice ammo (Wolf 115gr).

I was spotting with some binoculars while Alex was shooting and I watched him put half a dozen rounds of his carry ammo into the center of the target. After verifying his carry load, he switched over to some Winchester White Box. First round kicks up some dirt low and a few feet left of the target. Second hits paper, but misses the silhouette, going over the target's shoulder. Third misses the target high and left. At this point I'm thinking, "What the hell? I know Alex can shoot better than this, I just saw him do it!"

I explain what I'm seeing and give him a mag of Wolf, since I know that shoots through my gun. The cheap Russian stuff shoots about as well as his carry ammo. Then he tries a couple of different brands (American Eagle, Magtech, and Federal). None of them are as bad as the WWB, but none are anywhere near as good as the Wolf or his carry ammo. These are enormous variations in accuracy we're talking about. From groups measured in inches to groups measured in feet at 50 yards.

My conclusion is that if you've got an RMR and want to develop a long range pistol capability (as you should) you MUST absolutely, positively test your carry ammo for accuracy at longer ranges. Both Alex's carry load and mine shot very well, but given the variation this is something you need to verify with your ammo and your gun.

Of course, there's more to long range shooting than the RMR and the ammo, you need to practice as well. Trying to practice long range shooting with some of these loads would be frustrating to the point of being useless. If your usual practice load isn't up to the job, experiment with some different brands. Accuracy does not necessarily seem to be correlated with price or perceived quality. The Wolf stuff is probably the cheapest of all the practice ammo we tried, but it shot the best.

Just so you know, I have shot with Alex, and he is truly a superb pistol shot.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I have heard both good and bad about the Wolf. I have heard good for AK's but bad for pistols. Something about the coating on the casing. If anyone has any knowledge of this, please comment.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    I liked when walmart had Blazer Brass. Way cleaner in my opinion that WWB and it was always a good amount cheaper. I don't reload so I don't have a problem shooting Blazer with aluminum cases when I find it cheap.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Federal has always been decent in my experience, with one exception. When I first started shooting .380, I had 5 or 6 out of a box of 50 that the cases split almost to the case head. This was factory ammo, in two different pistols. I have shot S&B, Winchester, Armscor, and several other brands and not had this issue.

Top Bottom