• ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I just ordered some of the Federal Syntech coated-bullet cartridges (124 gr. 9mm). These are the "official ammo of USPSA", and I have wanted to try them for awhile just to see what the fuss is all about.

They are on sale at MidwayUSA for $11.69 for a box of 50 (.23 per round). *Way* too pricey for my blood for anything permanent, but I keep putting off trying them due to the price. I finally ordered a few boxes just to try out.

Has anyone else tried these? Any benefits over good old-fashioned handloaded coated-bullet rounds? They talk about polymer coating and clean-burning powder, etc. I wonder how close they would be to something like coated Black Bullets under CFE Pistol or something similar?

https://www.federalpremium.com/products/handgun/syntech/american-eagle-syntech/ae9sj2

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'd imagine its similar. I've never tried the coated bullets, I don't get to shoot enough handgun for any cleanliness difference to be an issue.

I'd think you could get close enough with hand loaded coated bullets and a clean powder.

I'm coming to appreciate the virtues of fast-ish powders. When you give up a little MV, you get substantially less recoil and a cleaner gun to boot in most cases.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    The Syntech Action Pistol 9mm is 150gr. The Syntech 124gr is good ammo but does not have the same specs.
    https://www.federalpremium.com/products/handgun/syntech/syntech-action-pistol
    [h=1]SYNTECH ACTION PISTOL[/h]
    [FONT=&quot]Part #: AE9SJAP1
    [COLOR=black !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]

[/FONT]

[COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]4.4[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important] (5)[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Write a review[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [FONT=&quot]Shooters who compete at the highest levels need ammunition built for the demands of their discipline. Syntech® Action Pistol is specifically designed for the action shooting sports and loaded to power factor requirements with heavy, flatter-nosed bullets for more reliable knock-downs on steel targets in competition. Like all Syntech loads, they feature the exclusive Total Synthetic Jacket (TSJ™), which prevents metal-on-metal contact between the bullet and barrel, eliminating copper and lead fouling as well as reducing damaging heat and friction. Combined with clean-burning powders and the Catalyst™ lead-free primer, Syntech Action Pistol provides the softest-shooting and most reliable performance possible for high-volume competitive shooters.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    • Caliber: 9mm Luger
    • Bullet Weight (grains): 150
    • Bullet Style: Syntech Jacket FN
    • Muzzle Velocity: 870
    • Ballistic Coefficient: 0.092
    • Package Quantity: 50
    • Use: Competition
    [/FONT]

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    9mm Syntech 150gr was all I used shooting steel challenge matches at my local club this past season.

I got carried away buying them when Brownells had them on sale with coupon discounts as well and have several thousand on hand.

I really liked them in my CZ Shadow 2 but will have to admit that I have barely run anything else through that pistol as a comparison.

I see no reason similar handloads wouldn't be as good.

Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    I bought a case with rebate a while back. Pretty much unimpressed after all the hype. Id never buy again unluess cheaper than competition.

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    The Syntech Action Pistol 9mm is 150gr. The Syntech 124gr is good ammo but does not have the same specs.
    https://www.federalpremium.com/products/handgun/syntech/syntech-action-pistol
    SYNTECH ACTION PISTOL

[FONT=&amp]Part #: AE9SJAP1
    [COLOR=black !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Dang! Foiled again!!!

Haha!!! Here I have been putting off trying it for so long due to the price, then I find some on sale, and end up buying the wrong ammo! I love it!

Now I need to go looking for some of the 150 gr. Action Pistol ammo...

EDIT: OK, I just ordered some of the correct ammo... Oh well, it's only money, right??? :( Now I guess I will have both types to compare...

Thanks for pointing that out BTW.

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Dang! Foiled again!!!

Haha!!! Here I have been putting off trying it for so long due to the price, then I find some on sale, and end up buying the wrong ammo! I love it!

Now I need to go looking for some of the 150 gr. Action Pistol ammo...

EDIT: OK, I just ordered some of the correct ammo... Oh well, it's only money, right??? :( Now I guess I will have both types to compare...

Thanks for pointing that out BTW.

I think the 150gr are the softest I've ever shot. Let us know how you like them.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom