Fed ex or UPS to ship a pistol? What's your opinion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    If Ruger isn't offering a free pre-paid label ask them to sell you one. It will simplify things for you.
    Seems Odd Ruger would not offer a label? The one time I needed to send a long Gun back to them the first thing they asked was my mailing address.

Ruger seems to be an anomaly in that they still provide customer service. Hard to not give them business.

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Ruger sent me a free label the only time I had to send anything back. Ruger has no warranty so it is up to their discretion what level of service you get.

I have seen reports on other forums that they are less likely to pay shipping than they were, especially for older firearms.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Seems Odd Ruger would not offer a label? The one time I needed to send a long Gun back to them the first thing they asked was my mailing address.

Ruger seems to be an anomaly in that they still provide customer service. Hard to not give them business.
    It depends on if they feel it was on them or you are at fault. If it's on them they pay. My nephew messed up a trigger on his SR22 and whined, moaned, and cried about it, but wouldn't send it back to fix. They offered to fix it on them, but he had to ship it.
    So for his Christmas gift I bought the return label for him.
    Yes he's a Gen Z...

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    It depends on if they feel it was on them or you are at fault. If it's on them they pay. My nephew messed up a trigger on his SR22 and whined, moaned, and cried about it, but wouldn't send it back to fix. They offered to fix it on them, but he had to ship it.
    So for his Christmas gift I bought the return label for him.
    Yes he's a Gen Z...
    Not referring to op but I think a lot depends on how people interact with them. I have always found them to be really good even with non warranty questions.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Not referring to op but I think a lot depends on how people interact with them. I have always found them to be really good even with non warranty questions.
    I agree.
    I do my best to respect the representative I'm chatting/emailing with. It usually goes a long way. I have to use email or chat because of my hearing disability.
    Respecting people goes farther than being disrespectful when you are in need of help.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    Two years ago, I sent an barrel to ADCO to get holes drilled for an A2 front site. I took the barrel and front site to the local UPS Store. When they saw the ADCO Firearms on the return label they refused to ship it.

I asked my local FFL who uses UPS, if he could take care of the label. He did. I paid him and took it to the UPS Hub counter. Dropped it off on the counter said as little as possible and got it through.

Unfortunately, FDX isn't any friendlier.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Two years ago, I sent an barrel to ADCO to get holes drilled for an A2 front site. I took the barrel and front site to the local UPS Store. When they saw the ADCO Firearms on the return label they refused to ship it.

I asked my local FFL who uses UPS, if he could take care of the label. He did. I paid him and took it to the UPS Hub counter. Dropped it off on the counter said as little as possible and got it through.

Unfortunately, FDX isn't any friendlier.
    UPS Stores are franchises and not the same as UPS.

Most restricted and ORM-D items had to be taken directly to the UPS counter, and not through a UPS store

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    UPS Stores are franchises and not the same as UPS.

Most restricted and ORM-D items had to be taken directly to the UPS counter, and not through a UPS store
    Good to know. I'm aware UPS Stores are franchises, but was not sure if it was a blanket policy passed down from UPS Corp.

When I was part of a franchise, Corporate handed down a many edicts that suited their tastes but not that of the franchisee.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Always ask for a return label! (The last ruger I sent in, I didn’t have to ask, they sent a fed ex label)

If you ship a firearm both companies policy’s are that firearms have to go priority service (next day or second day air) and if you haven’t priced that lately…it’s gone way up!

Top Bottom