• ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Fear:
    a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger.It is an immediate response.

Worry:
    condition or feeling; uneasiness or anxiety.A longer term emotional response to a given set of circumstances.

Examples.
    Fear.You fell off a ladder and are on your way to the ground.

Worry.You are late for work.

No one with a normal psychology lives in fear.There is very little we can do about fear.It is an instant reaction based on survival instincts.You can not eliminate fear.

Worry on the other hand is a normal daily life emotion.Set up by circumstances we can control.We can adjust circumstances in our favor to eliminate or lessen worry.

My point is for those who prepare.I have been told many times by those who do not that they do not want to live there life in fear.In the case of those who call it fear,it is only fear because they do not see how they could possibly change the circumstances.Once they realize they can control the circumstances,then they worry.This is normal and a good thing.This worry group will seek out advice and begin to prepare to lessen the emotional response.

I have seen many threads on how to convince someone to prepare.The first thing you need to do is point out the difference between fear and worry.Get them out of the fear mindset.Give them enough information that they feel they can change the circumstances.Then they will worry.From there it is a rather easy task to help them prepare.

I have been a prepper for a few years now.I do still worry some,but much less now than I ever have in my life.

Prepping is not a can of beans.It is a lifestyle.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Most folks don't realize that prepping helps people stop worrying and puts them "in control" of more things. Most people assume preppers are scared of everything or live in fear all the time when its the opposite.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Great post! I felt like I had less to worry about after I bought my first round of extra food for the house a few years ago. That will help me put into words when I try to explain prepping to sheeple.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    A guy at work, as well as myself, are both preppers. Another one of my coworkers laughs at us and calls us paranoid. Then he spends seven hundred dollars on video games and tells us what we're missing. :rolleyes:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    A guy at work, as well as myself, are both preppers. Another one of my coworkers laughs at us and calls us paranoid. Then he spends seven hundred dollars on video games and tells us what we're missing. :rolleyes:

I know a guy just like that. He doesn't say that I'm nutts, but he agrees with just about every kind of preparation I talk with him about, but doesn't make any moves. He just bought several flat screens for the new house, but doesn't have a months worth of food for his himself, wife, child, and dog.

You can only lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. I will have more sympathy for those who never heard the prep message than those who heard it and never acted.

SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA

Doesn't that just crack you up, I hope he can eat that MW3 game on some bread.:D

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Note to self: Add flat screen TVs, XBox 360, CoD, and World of Warcraft to preps. :D

Great post! Instinctively, I guess I always knew it, but you've decribed it in a manner that is much easier to point out to others. Thank you:yesway:

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011

How can someone spend $700 on video games? :n00b:

My priorities (if i had the money and time) would be guns, ammo, food, supplies.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    How can someone spend $700 on video games? :n00b:

Not that hard :). My first gaming PC was 2K once I got it all put together. My second I built almost 5 years ago probably cost around 2500. Then you have to buy games :).

Cool thing is, if you build it right, you can still play the latest and greatest years later rather than paying for crap from walmart :D.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

aragorn-lord-of-the-rings.gif

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Well... I would say the same thing, I've taught my daughters from birth you don't have to be scared if you're prepared. Afraid of the dark, have a flashlight etc. I'm not so arrogant that I have every possibility figured out, but I try and mitigate the pain in whatever form it comes in if I can. If not, I'll try and figure out it on the fly. The thing that gets me is my brother who lives next door and rolls his eyes at being prepared and wouldn't hesitate to ask ask if if he could use my generator to run his furnace while the power is out. Feel free to live your best life not sacrificing anything cause somebody will bail you out. Rant over!!

Top Bottom