• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Anybody carry on their ankle? What do you carry? What kind of holster do you use?

Any need-to-knows? Wear loose pants? Short socks? Boots? etc

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    smith and wesson 642 in a galco ankle glove.... the best ankle gun in the best ankle holster if you ask me... i forget that i am wearing it and i could run sprints with it if i had to and not worry about it falling out/off or being too uncomforitable.

ETA: i wear slightly loose pants and have worn the ankle holster with ALL types of shoe wear and it really doesnt matter with this holster so long as you dont wear sandles and you pants cover the holster completly

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I ankle carry on occasion. Either a G27 or a .38spl airweight. That latter is more comfortable with a simple Uncle Mikes carry rig. Many have been recommending the fobus ankle rig, and indicate they love it, but I haven't had a chance to try one out yet.

Loose pants at the cuff are helpful, but not necessary unless you are carrying an AR or something. :): Not many people stare at shoes or ankles during the day, so it is very unoticeable. I mostly ankle carry when the day requires dress pants and a shirt without a jacket or sport coat.

It is all personal preference, play around with configurations and styles. I prefer shorter socks (or at least having the carry leg sock pulled down), as longer socks with the ankle rig over them seems to cause my socks to slide down with the rig. However, the short sock option results in the holster being directly against the skin and causes perspiration.

That being said, it is truly what works for you. I recommend wearing it around the house and getting used to it, as the weight on the leg takes some getting used to, and if you aren't careful, it can change the gate in your walk, which makes it more noticeable. You have to make a conscious effort to "walk normal" until you get used to it.

There are a lot of great posts about different rigs people use....try doing a search on it using different key words, you should come up with all kinds of info!

Hope that helps!

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I carry an XD40sc in a Galco Ankel Glove as a BUG. Loose fitting pants and whichever holster you get make sure you get the calf strap it secures the gun better. It is not the best form of carry but as a back up or some times it is the only option it is better than not carrying at all.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    socks and long pants a must - obviously

I carry either a Kel Tec P32 or a Beretta model 84 on my ankle. The Kel Tec gets the lion's share of time because it is much, much lighter. I prefer to wear a low cut boot where the tip of the holster (the muzzle end) can rest on the top of the boot. Wearing just regular shoes will work fine too.
    By the way, the Kel Tec is so light that I used to often feel if it was still there.

Terry

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    smith and wesson 642 in a galco ankle glove.... the best ankle gun in the best ankle holster if you ask me...
    :+1:

I wear mine under just plain cargo pants or carpenter jeans. There's no print at all when I'm standing still and you'd have to know what you are looking for to differentiate the print of the gun butt from the normal swishing of the pants while in motion. At my size pants tend to have looser legs anyway.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/32182-glaco_ankle_glove.html#post349517

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    ANkle Carry

I am not crazy about ankle carry but I sometimes carry a LCP on my ankle.
    I only carry in this fashion if there are no other options.
    I feel that the lighter the gun the better.
    A heavy gun requires a tighter fitting rig that can restrict blood flow and be very uncomfortable.
    Looser pants are a must and I put mine over a sock, but depending on the rig, this may not be necessary. I also like the holsters with the additional leg strap.
    I currently have the Fobus Ankle Holster, which I feel sticks out to far and prints under dress slacks doesn't hug the leg good enough.
    Believe it or not, I think one of the better one is the Ungle Mike's, unless you want to go into something more expensive and in leather.

I also carry my S&W Airweight, but the slim profile of the LCP usually wins out.

I don't like the way the G27 feels when it is on my ankle, it tends to slide down and hit the bone which is very uncomfortable.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Glock 26 or 27 in a fobus. Loose pant legs. Socks aren't necessary as the holster tightens up nicely with the velcro strap.

jmo2003bu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I sometimes carry my glock 26 on my ankle if I'm wearing a tucked shirt. I'm getting a Taurus 85 ultra-lite though and I think that will be a good ankle carry as well...it's a little lighter and smaller than the glock

_CY_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    what's the weight loaded for a 642?

smith and wesson 642 in a galco ankle glove.... the best ankle gun in the best ankle holster if you ask me... i forget that i am wearing it and i could run sprints with it if i had to and not worry about it falling out/off or being too uncomforitable.

ETA: i wear slightly loose pants and have worn the ankle holster with ALL types of shoe wear and it really doesnt matter with this holster so long as you dont wear sandles and you pants cover the holster completly

_CY_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    any chance you've a pic of your 642 in an ankle holester

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I'm not sure my employers would be happy if I whipped mine out and slapped it on the food scale, but I filled a cup with water until it felt right and it weighed 1.3 lb (21 oz.).

edit: Check the link in my post above for pics of a 642 in an ankle glove.

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    After trying various holsters and guns I've settled on a Glock 26 in a Galco Ankle Glove (which is by far the best ankle holster made hands down)...

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When I cannot carry IWB I usually carry my G36 in a Renegade holster. I do need to wear a sock under it for comfort and usually another to cover the base of it. I have worn this to dinners and parties with great success. I can wear this with a suit. The Renegade is very comfy.

Revelations

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    NW IND/ Tampa Bay
    Carried a Taurus M85 in a Galco Ankle Glove very comfy and secure.

I have a FOUBUS ankle holster for my P32 but seems like theres more material on the holster than in the gun. ;)

Top Bottom