• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I thought it would be interesting to hear if any of you have any interesting stories about any firearms you might have acquired. More along the lines of historical value. Post pics if you have them.

I'll start off with mine.
    35d2ty8.jpg

This is a H&R AutoEjecting .32 S&W CTGE, TOP BREAKING, 6 shot, 3 1/4" bbl.
    The story goes that Charlie "Blackie" Harris gave this to my grandfather for protection against the Shelton Brothers. Who in turn gave to my father where I inherited it upon his death. From what research I could do online, this firearm was made sometime in the late 1890's to early 1900's. "Blackie" was a member of the Shelton Brothers Gang until a falling out whereas Charlie was a prime suspect in the murder of some or all of the Shelton Brothers. Charlie has been tied to or accused of more than 21 murders, some say the count is higher. Charlie was born in Wayne Co. Il. where my grandparents lived. So who knows what kind of stories this revolver could tell.

The revolver's hammer is broken, not sure when that happened. I remember firing it when I was early 20s and the cylinder being loosy goosy and having slivers of lead hitting me from the misalignment. The stag grips look home made too.

Last edited:

dleeharrison

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    I have a Model 1876 Trapdoor Springfield rifle, caliber 45-70, with a proof mark date of 1882. I replaced the original stock with a new stock (I kept the old stock) since the stock has seen better days. The rifle is in excellent condition and I routinely shoot it with black powder cartridges (I reload and cast bullets for the rifle).

I acquired the rifle in 1966 while helping a relative move out of a fraternity house at a college located in the midwest. While emptying the trash out in a dumpster in back of the building, I noticed a barrel sticking out of the trash and after climbing in the dumpster, I uncovered the rifle. The rifle was in sad shape - hasn't been cleaned, oiled or taken care of - the barrel was plugged with mud. The stock was in sad shape - gouged, split and pinned (amateur attempt to repair the stock). I salvaged the rifle and I have had it ever since - saved it from the landfill.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I don't have the rifle itself, but my Eotech is the one from the patrol rifle that neutralized the BG that set his apartment on fire and held his infant hostage last year in Greenwood. It's dead on, according to it's former owner.

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    E'villeGunner, have you read the book "War In Illinois"? Darn good read about the Shelton, and Berger gangs. I read another book that I think was called "Bloody Williamson". That book was about all blood shed in Williamson county starting in the late 1800's up through the 1950's. Very interesting read as well. There were a lot of people killed in southern Illinois back in those days! The book tells of the both gangs putting steel plates on Model A Fords and driving down the roads shooting at each other, and the Sheltons dropped a home made bomb out of an airplane trying to blow up the Berger gangs hideout, called the Shady Rest. Both are very good reads!

PaPa 260

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    E'villeGunner, have you read the book "War In Illinois"? Darn good read about the Shelton, and Berger gangs. I read another book that I think was called "Bloody Williamson". That book was about all blood shed in Williamson county starting in the late 1800's up through the 1950's. Very interesting read as well. There were a lot of people killed in southern Illinois back in those days! The book tells of the both gangs putting steel plates on Model A Fords and driving down the roads shooting at each other, and the Sheltons dropped a home made bomb out of an airplane trying to blow up the Berger gangs hideout, called the Shady Rest. Both are very good reads!

PaPa 260

I haven't read them, yet. But a lot of what you have said I heard about from my grandfather. I remember him telling me about the "armored" cars. Didn't know about the "bombing" run, though. lol I'll have to look out for that book, maybe the public library will have it.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    I know this gun has a story, I just don't know what it is yet!
    A S&W model 10-7 in 38spl. It has AERO158 engraved (nicely done) on the backstrap. Does not match serial number in any way. Some kind of armory/ID number? Police/prison/security? I may have to cough up the money for a factory letter. Nice gun, square butt and skinny barrel.
    x004-1.jpg

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    E'villeGunner, I had to go to Wabash Valley Junior College in Mt. Carmel to get the books. The library at either UE or USI may have a copy of them if the public library doesn't. Well worth the effort to locate them especially since you have roots in southern Illinois. The only gun I have that might have some historical significance is an M1 Garand. I don't know the history of it, but it does stand a chance of having some interesting stories if it could talk.

PaPa 260

Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 14, 2009
    Danville

PaPa 260
    My brother lent me "Bloody Williamson", it is a very good read.
    He lives in Salem, Illinois and we have been to Marion and a few other sites in the book. I remember my Grandfather had this book as well.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I was in Houston for an internship in 2003. I went to a gun hop called Collectors Fifearms. They have an amazing collection, but a saw 2 AR15's there that were $3000 each and nothing special. (A2 Bushmasters)

I asked why they were so high, and the guy behind the counter told me they were some of the AR15's used to kill the BG's in the LA shootout where the BG's had all of that body armor and soudn't be stopped.

Apparently, the police didn't have any long guns and raided a local gun store. The gun store owner let them have several AR15's. Out of appreciation, (after everything settled down) the police returned the guns with certificates of authenticity saying that these were the guns that were used that day.

I thought that was pretty cool.

Top Bottom