• ...and so much more!
  • misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Family beaten, bound in home invasion - News- msnbc.com

This is getting out of hand; is it just me or is the city getting more and more dangerous as the days go by.

It seems to me; the vast majority of home invasions happen through the front door, either kicked in or forced entry after someone opens the door. I stress to my wife every day to NEVER open the door if you don't know who it is, also if someone is knocking arm yourself before coming to the door.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I second that, I always greet people with a smile and a gun. Well, not always a smile. Hope the son comes out of this alright. Glad to hear the others were (implied) okay.

Misconfig, you're making my doubt my surroundings more this last 24 hours. Not that I was in bliss or anything, was a kidnapping/robbery just across the street from me a few months ago - mother and daughter.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I second that, I always greet people with a smile and a gun. Well, not always a smile. Hope the son comes out of this alright. Glad to hear the others were (implied) okay.

Misconfig, you're making my doubt my surroundings more this last 24 hours. Not that I was in bliss or anything, was a kidnapping/robbery just across the street from me a few months ago - mother and daughter.

We need to stay on guard, right?

I'm moving to the country! :)

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I didn't get the specifics but I heard on the news last night a robbery suspect was running loose in Fishers, someone hit on 36th street (either by car or gun, tv was playing the in background but I wasn't watching). Then something else kind of crazy. Yeah things seem to be getting weird, maybe its the weather...

Oh yea the car jacking...

Last edited:

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I can only hope that if something like this happens to me, I am able to arm and defend myself and my family. This sh*t is getting out of control. Think this is the third or fourth home invasion story that has been posted that I have seen. I'm sure there are more that I have seen.

When these bass terds are shot trying it on someone else, then maybe the BGs will get the hint. However, I know it's just wishful thinking.

This has happened in E'ville, but I can not remember the last time I saw a story about it.

I hope the son get better.

Le Doug

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Aside from feeling totally horrible for the family, I must say, I would never answer a door at 5 a.m. I sleep with two handguns right next to me and any time I get out of bed, they are with me.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    It's not just here. I've been seeing home invasion stories cropping up in my hometown area of Amarillo, TX, too.

Could be a case of monkey-see/monkey-do. They hear about and see it on TV and they feel like trying it. What they need to be hearing and seeing is several home invaders laying in the front steps as cold as the door they just tried to bust down.

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    And this is why I laugh when people tell me I'm paranoid for keeping 3 loaded handguns in my room at all times.

But there is nothing funny about this story.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    We need to stay on guard, right?

I'm moving to the country! :)

it don't help movin' out to the county.....did it 15 years ago to get away from the city crap....then mitch sticks a 4 lane (I-69) 1/2 mile from my place to invite them down here....

and now i'm goin' to have to spend more money puttin' a gate at the end of my drive....

maybe when everyone in Indy is armed then things like this will stop....i feel awful for those poor people just tryin' to live....

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    You can't tell anything from reading stories in the paper.

I can't find Indianapolis specific statistics, but in Inidana overall, violent crime rates rose from 1960 to 1980, jumped substantially from 1980 to a high in 1990, but by 2000 had dropped to below 1980 levels. It has continued to drop. 2008 violent crime was lower than any year since 1978.

So, the last time you were this safe living in Indiana was 32 years ago.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I can only hope that if something like this happens to me, I am able to arm and defend myself and my family. This sh*t is getting out of control. Think this is the third or fourth home invasion story that has been posted that I have seen. I'm sure there are more that I have seen.

When these bass terds are shot trying it on someone else, then maybe the BGs will get the hint. However, I know it's just wishful thinking.

This has happened in E'ville, but I can not remember the last time I saw a story about it.

I hope the son get better.

Le Doug
    The last time it happened in Evansville, it was on the South side. 4 men tried to force their way into the home. The Homeowner opened fire with a WASR. the bad guys fled one was ran over twice while the other 3 tried to get away. All 4 were caught.

Maybe you folks should get the hell out of Indy.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

I can't find Indianapolis specific statistics, but in Inidana overall, violent crime rates rose from 1960 to 1980, jumped substantially from 1980 to a high in 1990, but by 2000 had dropped to below 1980 levels. It has continued to drop. 2008 violent crime was lower than any year since 1978.

Yeah, the news is just jumping on the crime we do have which makes people feel less safe than they used to.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I think it was the FBI that said the other day that our violent crime had droped drastically over the last few years.

Could be worse, could be in L.A., Chicago, ect ect.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    And this is why I laugh when people tell me I'm paranoid for keeping 3 loaded handguns in my room at all times.

But there is nothing funny about this story.

Yep. I keep a j-frame in my pocket all the time and a few others accessible in the bedroom should I need to reach for a bigger stick :):. If the they don't leave after the first 5 rounds...they aren't gonna be happy they stuck around, that's for sure.

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown

Unfortunately I think if you could find some accurate stats for Indy they would now be at an all time high. I know for a fact that homicide is up from last year at this time.

Any big city is far from safe these days. I lived in Indy for a short time SW side and E side and feel much safer just being out in Brownsburg now. I think if I was truly in the "country" I would feel even safer...

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    5:00 AM knock on the door? 1 hand hits the porch light switch (from the side, NOT from directly behind the door) and .357 in the other. Wait a moment and then check the peephole and decide whether or not to open the door.

If I'm OK with what I see, door opens. If not, it stays shut and 911 gets called. Call goes like this:

"911, what is your emergency?"

"My address is......... and I am holding a gun on a person who is attempting to harm me. I suggest you hurry because my trigger finger is getting tired."

Hang up phone. Cops will arrvive in record time. If bad guy breaks thru prior to cops arivival, no problem. There will only be 1 story in court and the 911 tape will confirm I was in fear for my life.

Top Bottom